Gprs Phone And Internet Access

girlx

I was told recently that I can live anywhere in Thailand and still be able to connect to the internet if I have a GPRS phone and a USB line for my laptop. Can someone explain to me how this works? Also can you recommend a not-so-expensive GPRS phone and a package with GPRS access? Is GPRS the same as GSM, because I already have a GSM phone. Sorry, I am totally ignorant in this area....

Thanks for any help!

you need to do a search in this section on GPRS.

I use GPRS with my laptop and PPC with out the need for a USB cable as I use bluetooth for this section of the link.

GPRS is not the fastest connection on the block - but it is acceptable - and as EDGE is implemented more in thailand it will be comparable to low speed broadband.

as I said , do a search on this forum for GPRS and you will see many discussions on phones , providers , bluetooth , cable connection etc etc

thanks, i did a search but still don't really understand. it seems Edge offers a PC card, is that a replacement for a GPRS mobile phone? ie. can i just buy the PC card and minutes from DTAC or something and voila, have GPRS access? also, in some areas DTAC doesn't work (for instance), so probably the GPRS wouldn't work either, am i right?

trying to decide between this and buying my own satellite system when i move to a rural area.

yes, the pc card is a modem with an antennae you plug into one of the slots in the notebook, around 10000 baht, no phone needed. it can use the gprs and edge system. a low cost gprs phone ..nokia 6210...but not edge capable.

if you are moving to a rural area and really want to use the internet, definitely go with the satellite. you won't be able to access edge, and the gprs will be slower than dial up.

Edge is an add-on to GPRS capable networks and is available in BKK and, perhaps, in some major cities.

I would disagree that GPRS is slower upcountry - not in my experience. Generally it gets slower when there's more voice traffic.

Nearly every phone is GPRS capable now, but many low cost ones cannot be connected to the computer. Check with each model - some use infrared, some bluetooth (in both cases you'll need an infrared/bluetooth adapter for you computer if don't have one), some use USB cables.

New phones also have GPRS Class 10, which is faster than older Class 8, but check with the manufacturer. You'll often find that cheaper brands have only flash animations on their websites and no technical information whatsoever.

I've read Sony Ericsson USB connection is often a lot slower than infrared/bluetooth, or even GPRS itself (www.esato.com - forums). Also cables very often share the same slot as AC adapters so you can't charge the phone and connect to the computer at the same time.

Siemens' USB cable is the easiest to set up and run, and the phones are cheap, but the cables themselves are sold only at Siemens service centre on Phetchburi rd. They deliver anywhere in Bangkok for 30 baht.

The easiest solution is a bluetooth phone from either Nokia or Sony Ericsson and a bluetooth adapter from any computer shop. That is also the most expensive option. If you want to save money you'll have to go into lots of details.

Whatever you choose, GPRS/EDGE from DTAC is always better but you'll need to get a postpaid account first. GPRS from AIS and Orange are cheaper but slower and less reliable.

thanks, i did a search but still don't really understand. it seems Edge offers a PC card, is that a replacement for a GPRS mobile phone? ie. can i just buy the PC card and minutes from DTAC or something and voila, have GPRS access? also, in some areas DTAC doesn't work (for instance), so probably the GPRS wouldn't work either, am i right?

trying to decide between this and buying my own satellite system when i move to a rural area.

Hi Girlx

I have been using a post paid AIS system with GPRS for over a year now and where I live about 50 km from Khampaeng Phet it is better than DTAC.

I use a Nokia 6260 mobile and I bought a Bluetooth adaptor that plugs into a USB port on my laptop. The software takes about 10 minute to load and set up and after that it is easy.

However you also need an Internet Service Provider so that you can access the Internet (you may need it with a satellite but that I don't know). CS loxinfo or any of them will do it. You can buy a card to give you xx amount of hours access at xx amount of baht.

I have a legal program which turns my laptop into its own server which is handy if you go off to another country to work or whatever.

I understand that you can connect to the Internet etc with a prepaid card such as 1-2-Call or whatever DTAC uses but it is a bit expensive.

I pay 900 baht for 120 hours of access a month or roughly 4 hours a day but you can get different packages at different prices.

Another poster suggests that you go with a satellite link but then you also have the cost of the dish, installation and monthly costs as well and I have no idea how much that will be.

I hope that the information is of some use to you and if you think that I may be able to help you some more please PM me.

Cheers billd766

Hi Girlx, I have been using a Sony Ericsson EDGE GC85 card, I paid 6000 baht for it. I use the DTAC system on special offer, 1300 baht per month, for unlimited access. This works fine for me, I find the reception is better when I go upstairs. The only drawback you may find is that you have to open an account with DTAC, and if you do not have the correct visa it can be a stumbling block.

I live in Chiang Mai and find that the system is usually a lot faster than dial up and does not drop out anywhere near the same number of times.

I hope this helps.

hmmm, i am not moving upcountry, i am moving to an island- either koh chang or koh phangan, haven't decided which yet. anyone have experience with GPRS there? i am thinking it is probably going to be difficult to get a connection since a lot of the times my mobile there says "SOS calls only"... i am looking into IPSTAR as an alternative but it's pretty expensive! the only other thing i can think of to do is to splice a connection from a neighbor... but i don't know if that is legal or even possible! i am a "heavy user" though so i must have reliable access.

you can always sell the satellite equipment when you are finished, as shin corp. is launching another satellite, i think the equipment wil be viable for awhile. don't know about splicing, but you could probably set up an in home server at your neighbors house and set up a wi-fi hotspot.