Need Photoshop Expert

I have an old high school photo that got somewhat damaged from dirt and water spots before I could save it on my computer. I would love to find someone I could send it to who is good with Photo Shop and Airbrushing to "restore" it.

If anyone has those skills, or knows of someone who does, I would very much appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks

Have you thought of doing it yourself? Is the photo black and white or in colour? What size is it and in what format; digital or analogue? I fool around with photoshop a lot, but I wouldn't call myself a professional or expert. It is fairly easy to use the cloning tool or cut and paste with layers. It's easier to fix if it was black and white. It's much easier to work on if it's scanned at high resolution first..

There are lots of tehniques in PS do clean up and 'repair' old photos - and plenty of filter that can be 'bought' to help too. I agree with Ian, scan nit in (at least 300ppi) and play with it - remember to use layers so not to destroy your original scan. I taught my mother some basic PS, she attended a couse too (for senior citizens and very basic it was) - she enjoys tinkering now and has got quite good.

I am very busy with a project now, otherwise I would help you. If you have no time contraints, then PM and I'll give you my email address you can send it to and I'll have a go when I get hane (which may be in a few weeks)

Scanning prints for restoration is a little outdated now, and as you can see colour versus black and white is totally academic.

It seems you have the print at hand and as we're in a digital age - why not photograph the print as I have here?

This is a glossy print that had been in the guys pocket, all nicely crushed, scratched, sodden and folded, for years - and he wanted restoration to present to his mates in the battalion!

It's a very historical image of a British soldier in Ireland in 1979 who was subsequently awarded the Military Cross for his endeavor and was the only copy he had!

So;-

I used a basic digital camera on an overcast day to avoid glare and clipping and basically laid the print flat on my porch floor. I shot in RAW mode and imported into Photoshop CS5 for cleaning. There is a new cloning tool for such corrections and using this action the clean up took about 10 minutes. CS5 as demo can be downloaded free and is very powerful.

This is the "before"

4846540764_a58b0df111_b.jpg

And ten minutes later

4845928091_21dc3fa931_b.jpg

I actually added the grain to emulate the original canvass effect. A little bit of a tweak in curves and gamma and finished.

Edited by The Vulcan
  • Like 1

I used a basic digital camera on an overcast day to avoid glare and clipping and basically laid the print flat on my porch floor. I shot in RAW mode and imported into Photoshop CS5 for cleaning. There is a new cloning tool for such corrections and using this action the clean up took about 10 minutes. CS5 as demo can be downloaded free and is very powerful.

This is the "before"

4846540764_a58b0df111_b.jpg

And ten minutes later

4845928091_21dc3fa931_b.jpg

I actually added the grain to emulate the original canvass effect. A little bit of a tweak in curves and gamma and finished.

Wow, quite a transformation. What tools/ techniques did you use to get rid of the creases/folds/missing colour?

• 3 weeks later...