Dengue Is Here

heybruce

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be wrong but I think that all of the local hospitals have recently raised their prices for the daily room rate. An insurance guy told me that. Sripat has definitely raised their prices. It doesn't really matter if the room is 1000 or 2000 THB because it is all the extras that add up that drive the bill up. When my kid was in Sripat the room was 1450 as I recall (before the rate increase), but the all the extras drove the bill up to around 5000 per day.

Bottom line: get insured.

Unfortunately my oldest son has contracted Dengue as well , he's in his fourth day .

I think its mild till now , although he has got all the symptoms as many have descriped on this thread . Sometimes he feels better and later the fever comes up again , I try to let him drink a

lot of water , to keep him dehydrated , give paracetamol for the headache and aches and give him light food .

As I understand there's not much we can do , and I do not see the need to let him sleep at the hospital , I'm nursing him myself , unless I feel its getting worse ofcourse .

So yes Dengue is around , the hospital in Chiangdao , where I still am cause of my sons

sickness I stay at home this week , is full of people and the doctor told me they are seeing

more then 40 patients a day diagnosed with dengue , I think its high alert at this time .

Don't underestimate dengue .

Edited by tijnebijn

Once Dengue appears in an area, it is time to be very alert. One thing I didn't know is that a skeeter has to bite an infected person, and then cruise around for a week in order to be successful in infecting others. That is the reason that entire families and entire classrooms come down with the disease. Eradication of the breeding areas (standing water) is about the only way to stop the disease.

Here are a couple of weblinks that I haven't seen on this thread for a while but well worth reading.

Dengue Fact Sheet: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs117/en/index.html

Life cycle: http://www.dengue.gov.sg/subject.asp?id=12

Unfortunately my oldest son has contracted Dengue as well , he's in his fourth day .

I think its mild till now , although he has got all the symptoms as many have descriped on this thread . Sometimes he feels better and later the fever comes up again , I try to let him drink a

lot of water , to keep him dehydrated , give paracetamol for the headache and aches and give him light food .

As I understand there's not much we can do , and I do not see the need to let him sleep at the hospital , I'm nursing him myself , unless I feel its getting worse ofcourse .

So yes Dengue is around , the hospital in Chiangdao , where I still am cause of my sons

sickness I stay at home this week , is full of people and the doctor told me they are seeing

more then 40 patients a day diagnosed with dengue , I think its high alert at this time .

Don't underestimate dengue .

You obviously understand the course of the disease and can manage to take good care of your son.

I would like to add some suugestion to provide him electrolyte fluid apart from just water to keep him rehydrated and keep the fluid in his circulation.

Too much water(Hypotonic solution) without any electrolyte could lead to excessive fluid in pleural cavity.

Some high vitamin C (Fruits/supplements) will booster his immune.

Good luck to your son and yourself.

• Like 1

Just had our third case of dengue within a hundred meters of the house during the last month. Getting used to seeing the health department sprayers as they try to kill the offending carriers!

Fortunately, it seems to be a mild strain where folks are sick for about ten days. I still see a lot of standing water in the plants by the street though so this is not going away soon. The public health department should try to educate with brochures as well as spraying. :ermm: They used to do that, but now they just spray.

My eldest son is okay now , for those who did concern , thanks for some pm's I got

they were very helpful , indeed he was knocked for about 7days and suddenly felt heartshaping happily better , he went to school for the first time today .

looks like people getting infected is getting less , but I'm still not sure .