Salad Bars

fw1

Just wondered how many people go for the various salad bars on offer in Bangkok? I usually go for the one in Sizzlers, and have yet been unable to find one that is better than it. Though many of the dips are high in fat (blue cheese & sour cream especially). I find it has a good enough range of vegetables and fruit to get what I want. I also like the fact that it offers various soups and pasta, if you want something hot.

Has anyone found a salad bar to match it?

If you see the old fat grumpy american falang guy who eats from the salad bar only at Sizzlers in Pattaya and enjoys treating the staff like scum, please take off a flip-flop and slap him on the head a few times.

I was way too gentle with him last time.

I've had the salad bar at Sizzler's here in Korat several times and have been pleasantly surprised. It's only 111 baht for all you can eat (at lunch time). The have a good selection of crisp fresh vegetables including tomatoes, asparagus, snow peas, green beans, water chestnuts, lettuce and more. The salsa is delicious. They also have a nice potato salad and other mixed vegetable salads. There are five or six salad dressings to choose from, including Italian, Blue Cheese and a low fat, shiso-style sauce. You can also have pasta, several soups, various fresh fruits. And, the chocolate mousse is delicious.

So, you can put down Sizzler if you like, but if you ever get hungry for some nice fresh veggies it's hard to beat them for selection, quality and price.

I have never eaten the salad bar - have heavier things in mind at a steak house - but the one time I had a steak (Chiang Mai) it was among the worst I have had in 35 years here in Thailand; and that includes a lot of water buffalo.

But salad bar seems to be the reason most Thai go there; and they are not common here, so perhaps it is worth 111 baht - although I recall a full meal and great salad bar for about that price at Lee Gardens Plaza in Hat Yai.

I only went once and found both soup choices abysmal ... couldn't bring myself to go past one spoonful.

WHAT?,The onion soup is one of the reasons I go,specially with the parmesan cheese and crutons.

I am talking about the buffet soup. Both options were really bad and bland to boot. No onion soup the one time I tried the place. It is OK deal for the salad bar alone, kind of a retro delight.

Edited by Thaiquila

Eating at Sizzler Thai style:

Order a main course with the salad bar, this way you get the salad bar for a much better price as they think you will not eat that much.

Ask them to pack the main course to go. Dig into the salad bar.

Re-heat the main course for dinner.

Another salad bar alternative are most supermarkets. They usually have a salad/fruit bar set-up in the vegie department. I have not checked out the price but think they charge per kg, should be cheaper than Sizzler.

Another salad bar alternative are most supermarkets. They usually have a salad/fruit bar set-up in the vegie department. I have not checked out the price but think they charge per kg, should be cheaper than Sizzler.

Yeah, but you don't get that high-class Sizzler ambience....

The canned peas at Sizzler

Is that what they serve with the main course meals? Sometimes they have peas at the salad bar, but they don't taste canned to me. Not at all mushy like canned peas.

Eating at Sizzler Thai style:

Order a main course with the salad bar, this way you get the salad bar for a much better price as they think you will not eat that much.

Right.

I think the spaghetti there is something like B99 (maybe Wednesdays only, I don't remember well) and you get salad bar with that. Cheaper than ordering just salad.

Doc,

Went to Sizzler yesterday. We tried the peas at the salad bar. We're fairly certain they are neither canned nor frozen. The best we can figure is that they are fresh but slightly blanched. They're kind of crunchy and flavorless. Not bad in the salad, but I prefer the green beans or snow peas.

Mr. B