Kajonkietsuksa School Phuket

Chozen1

Hmmmm since you mentioned Headstart let me please explain. The two schools can never be compared at any level. I leave it to your imagination or knowledge to explain why.

I really don't understand that post, they are both businesses, both schools, both located within a 5 mile radius of each other, why can't they be compared?

My daughter goes to Kajonkiet but I've looked at all the other schools, including headstart. It certainly didn't jump out at me as being in a whole different ballpark for any reason. They run a different programme, but personally I think it's important for my children to have a good grounding in Thai language, manners and society which is why an English Program within the Thai curriculum works for us at this stage.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai language, manners and society which is why an English Program within the Thai curriculum works for us at this stage.

Thai language - fair enough

Manners - ka, kap, wai. Suggest you read the posting on Thais showing good manners and people skills in banks and supermarkets etc, elsewhere in this sub-forum.

Society - now you ARE having a laugh. Cheating, corruption, racism, envy, greed, couldn't-give-a-sh1t-attitude, rights of women v. men, must be first, me, me, me....... . I'm afraid that "Thai Society" holds little or no values that I grew up with, and certainly few values that I wish my own offspring to embrace.

let me please explain.... I leave it to your imagination or knowledge to explain why.

Great quote! Let me explain.... I leave it to you to explain, love it!

I am sure there are lots of differences between the schools such as the PRICE and the fact that Headstart has only been there for a year. It's the latest trend, the new school which promises much and I hope it can deliver. In another few years will we have disgruntled ex Headstart staff posting on this forum? ;) <<------ smiley face but half serious actually. By the way Chozen1, other staff at the school read this forum, I am sure you are aware of that. It was mentioned to me a couple of days ago by some teachers I was chatting to. Those teachers were disappointed that a current staff member would choose an internet forum to voice complaints and while they maybe agreed with some of your points, felt that you should perhaps talk to people at the school such as other teachers rather than heading straight for Thai Visa. No school in the world is perfect, but changes can be effected internally. If you had stuck to just making points based on what you had seen... but I think your line "I would not place my child at any such school for both the educational reasons and health reasons"... is not a good thing for a current teacher to say. Have a nice day at school.

Hahahahhah I can't help but find this post entertaining. I did what I believed to be responsible to the community of parents who are shopping around for a school and especially for their children. You and Benjie obviously have a deeper loyalty to the school than just being parents. As for teachers complaining about my posts well that's entertaining also. Let me guess who those teachers might be!! My posts never commented on the teacher's performance at the school. I have said it before and I'll say it again that there are very caring and serious teachers at the school who love the children and do their very best to provide them with a worthwhile education, with the resources they are provided. Every teacher in that place knows the situation there. Many complain to other teachers and wowow they've been heard...NOT!! Yes, no school is perfect, as no home is perfect and no one individual is perfect. We live in an imperfect world. Regarding me making the statement "I would not place my child at any such school for both the educational reasons and health reasons" is a reflection of my observations, so the statement is very valid. Contrary to that, my child attended the school and was desperate to get out. In those days I was very positive about the school. By the way what are forums about if you can't post your thoughts and experiences? The reason for such imperfections in the world is because those who think are perfect don't want to talk about how imperfect things really are. By the way I had a super day at school...thank you.

Thai language - fair enough

Manners - ka, kap, wai. Suggest you read the posting on Thais showing good manners and people skills in banks and supermarkets etc, elsewhere in this sub-forum.

Society - now you ARE having a laugh. Cheating, corruption, racism, envy, greed, couldn't-give-a-sh1t-attitude, rights of women v. men, must be first, me, me, me....... . I'm afraid that "Thai Society" holds little or no values that I grew up with, and certainly few values that I wish my own offspring to embrace.

Phuket is a mess. I've been to North-East of Bangkok and the people there are very different. But they have hardly any education, so could you really put respect and manners down to the quality of a school's education (I think not). As far as respect and good manners go bahahahah speak to some of the teachers at the school about how much respect Thai kids have for foreign teachers. I didn't have many problems but boy could I fill you in on some of the other stories. The children do have respect for the Thai teachers because they are the ones holding the stick. By the way for those itching to comment on this paragraph, NOT ALL thai kids are disrespectful, especially not yours...(you know who you are). :)

There is some confusion in this long thread now.... The OP said (quote) "the information is mainly true to the ESC programme and Thai of course". Actually both our kids started kindergarten in the Thai program, our daughter for 2 years and our son for 1 year, and they loved it and we were happy with it - the reason for starting them in Thai was partly financial, but also we felt they needed more Thai language.. although my wife is Thai we speak English 95% of the time at home.

The 100k per year price is for the EP, not for Thai or ESC which us what the OP is "mainly" referring to. We remain very happy with the school and we keep a close eye on things.

Oh, just thought of one complaint - the traffic and parking, especially in the mornings.

We are looking forward to the new building being completed, the plans look very good including sports facilities.

If I was a billionaire the kids might be at BIS, but I am sure that school is not perfect either.

Oh, I was just re-reading the thread and had to laugh at the OP saying "I would be incriminating myself if I answered your questions. LOL." - as I said, sorry, but other teachers know who you are already :) <<<< - another smiley face

Well aren't they clever..;). Oh and by the way has the new school come off the floor plan yet? I'm interested to hear what you know. Wonder if it matches up with my information about the building of the new premises.

Seems to me Chozen1 is doing the right thing. Since the school managment does not listen to their teachers or parents at all, informing others of such behavior could make the administration consider their attitude. Sorry, was just dreaming, they where like this 7 years ago, they will continue like this as long as they have students/parents paying their asking price.

There are some very dedicated teachers at Kajon, and the kids with them are lucky. Good teachers in a school like this can make a good class, since admin doesnt care as long as kids qualify tests.

BTW I believe one of the posters here are from school admin

Thanks for the tip katabeachbum. I have a suspicion that there's more lol.

I can assure you Chozen that Phuketblogger is just a parent with kids at Katjonkietsuksa. Just as I am just a parent in the process of deciding which school for my kids. I therfor welcome both your comments and those of others like Phuketblogger and Benjie.

Just to the parents out there, just because your child loves his/her school, does not mean they are getting a good education. The students i teach get an education but the pace at which they learn is so slow, i can cover the course but i feel they have the potential for much more. They are lazy and somehow believe they are hi-so because they are in the Multi-language programme, normal programme students are better behaved and more eager to learn. I teach at a governement school with very few students with farang parents.

Edited by flukieireland

Chozen.. you think I work for Kajonkiet? Classic! I am a dad, my kids like the school, like the teachers they have had so far, my wife and I are happy with the school. I think I already said, but I know the Thai curriculum is not perfect, so it's up to the parents and the attitude of the teacher to make a difference. I can assure you that there are teachers you can talk to if you see problems, some teachers have more influence than others.

Maybe too late for you now, though.. I don't think you can have a teaching job and then recommend on a popular forum that you don't recommend the school. That would be like me (I am manager of a dive center by the way) saying "Don't Dive with us!"

I have also already said that the school is not perfect and if I had (lots) more money maybe the kids would move to one of the really expensive schools, but believe me we spent a lot of time checking all the options, and we have friends with kids in other schools, I remain sure that our kids are in the best school we can afford.

You skipped my comment regarding the EP vs ESC and Thai programmes. You are not a teacher in EP, and your comments relate "mainly" (your word) to ESC and Thai. Our kids are now in EP but were in the Thai programme, our daughter for 2 years, son for 1 year and they liked that too, and their teachers were very nice.

seaeagle - comments typical of Thai Visa and unrelated to any discussion of the school.

"just because your child loves his/her school, does not mean they are getting a good education." - Correct! But as parents we can very easily monitor our kids learning, I read with my daughter daily, we check their homework, and I have regular chats with the teachers. Good education begins at home.

Oh, I'll go have a look at the new school building site on the way to work. Not had a look for a couple of months, but yes the work had already started then.

seaeagle - comments typical of Thai Visa and unrelated to any discussion of the school.

Beg your pardon, Phuketblogger!

Benjie clearly stated that important aspects for his / her daughter were Thai language, manners and society. Given that to achieve these aims, the child was being sent to Kajonkiet, then it is entirely correct to point them out in this discussion.

Chozen.. you think I work for Kajonkiet? Classic! I am a dad, my kids like the school, like the teachers they have had so far, my wife and I are happy with the school. I think I already said, but I know the Thai curriculum is not perfect, so it's up to the parents and the attitude of the teacher to make a difference. I can assure you that there are teachers you can talk to if you see problems, some teachers have more influence than others.

Maybe too late for you now, though.. I don't think you can have a teaching job and then recommend on a popular forum that you don't recommend the school. That would be like me (I am manager of a dive center by the way) saying "Don't Dive with us!"

I have also already said that the school is not perfect and if I had (lots) more money maybe the kids would move to one of the really expensive schools, but believe me we spent a lot of time checking all the options, and we have friends with kids in other schools, I remain sure that our kids are in the best school we can afford.

You skipped my comment regarding the EP vs ESC and Thai programmes. You are not a teacher in EP, and your comments relate "mainly" (your word) to ESC and Thai. Our kids are now in EP but were in the Thai programme, our daughter for 2 years, son for 1 year and they liked that too, and their teachers were very nice.

"just because your child loves his/her school, does not mean they are getting a good education." - Correct! But as parents we can very easily monitor our kids learning, I read with my daughter daily, we check their homework, and I have regular chats with the teachers. Good education begins at home.

Oh, I'll go have a look at the new school building site on the way to work. Not had a look for a couple of months, but yes the work had already started then.

PhuketBlogger really I am happy that you have positive comments to make about the school and I am pleased your children enjoy it there. However, please consider that your view of the school is going to be made from a different angle to people who are constantly there and involved. You will not be able to get the real picture of what is going on in there and what I've listed is really quite conservative. In all my years involved in education I have never witnessed the things I witnessed in KJ towards teachers (especially Thai) and the children. Management is very concerned about the exterior presentation of the school but what festers beneath all that, is really a concern. I know this is Thailand and things are different here, but that does not mean that it's a licence to do some of the things they do. Talking to the people who have a pull? There is no one in there that can make a significant change to the way things are (not intending education). I am not discussing the school because I have any hard feelings towards it, actually my time there was fine but what I have witnessed is to me something the community should be concerned about. If they are going to continue with that kind of behaviour then they should be prepared that someone, somewhere is going to bring it to the light.

Just for the record I do respect everyone's views here. At times it's mentioned that my posting information on ThaiVisa is unprofessional as a teacher. I have many Thai teacher friends at the school and I am very sad about their working conditions and how they are treated. I am a human before a teacher and the situation is rather serious. But I will mention no more. I have said all that I've had to say without saying too much more. I'll leave that job to the others who have a conscience. Take care and by the way I have reliable information about the new school and exactly at what stage it's at. But I'm not going to make that my business.

Chozen1, I'm thankful to all of your time spent on this thread. Don't be discouraged by a few posters here that think otherwise. We relly need someone on the inside to tell us the truth. I wish, though, that you worked for/inside the EP...

Actually, yesterday, was such a typical Kajonkiet (or actually Thai) thing to do. I mean how silly was this parade in a Phuket Villa 5 backstreet that only residents could see and probably got annoyed over. Parents had to buy a THB 550 costume (which probably cost 200) and it was used for 15 minutes walkin down this back alley....The rest of the "competition" and long boring talks by "look how great we are" people, I missed, because I ran away leaving my daughter with her Thai mum that seems to love this kind of disorganised things.... Did anyone else stay to "enjoy" this ? :annoyed: Sorry, off topic, maybe we should start a third post on Kajonkiet.....?

Edited by napalm

I, for one, am astounded that King Nong and the rest of the higher admins at the North Korean Democratic Republic of Kajonkietsuksa hire all these falangs to teach. Yet, refuse to listen to these people, who for the most part, are highly educated, experienced teachers who bring a wealth of knowledge on "how tos" to a developing country. Yet, refuse to listen to their ideas.

Truly amazing.

A few months ago, at the newly thought out meeting of parents and teachers (yes, never had one where parents were allowed to go to different tables of teachers and discuss their kids until this term!!!!!).

During a question and answer session, a falang father got up and and asked if the Thai curriculum is mandatory or can the students chose certain courses. The father believed his child was not getting the full benefit of what he thought NKDRK could offer.

One of the higher admins gets up and tells the parent, with a smirk, "we are in Thailand and this is a Thai school".... NO $HIT SHERLOCK!!!!

Arrogant as can be, those people.

Any business in the west treats their customers as NKDRK does, they would be out of business.

I went past and had a look at the construction site of the new Kajonkiet two days ago. They are still piling over there and, by the looks of it, it will take another year to finish. It will be interesting to see how they will solve the never ending parking problem. As it is now, at the construction site, there is just one long road to drive in and I would hate to have the dudes with the &lt;deleted&gt;.... whistles forcing me to park 400 meters from the entrance just because I'm not driving a Mercedes Benz....

I went past and had a look at the construction site of the new Kajonkiet two days ago. They are still piling over there and, by the looks of it, it will take another year to finish. It will be interesting to see how they will solve the never ending parking problem. As it is now, at the construction site, there is just one long road to drive in and I would hate to have the dudes with the &lt;deleted&gt;.... whistles forcing me to park 400 meters from the entrance just because I'm not driving a Mercedes Benz....

Hi Napalm

It is interesting what people can observe taking place there. Of course to the Thai people KJ would be a well established and respected school, what have they to compare it to? The treatment of the parent by management is not uncommon so you can imagine what treatment their Thai teachers would receive. As far as the new building goes, the teachers are saying they will be at the new school next school year. Of course this is far from the truth. Has anyone asked if the plans have even been approved yet? Anyway if more people publicly spoke up and said how things were then we may see different results. But fear is our own worst enemy and not many wars are won when fear takes over.

As far as EP goes, while many of the teachers are disgruntled with different things, I can assure you they are slowly working towards change. Children in EP have it better than ESC and Thai children.

I, for one, am astounded that King Nong and the rest of the higher admins at the North Korean Democratic Republic of Kajonkietsuksa hire all these falangs to teach. Yet, refuse to listen to these people, who for the most part, are highly educated, experienced teachers who bring a wealth of knowledge on "how tos" to a developing country. Yet, refuse to listen to their ideas.

Truly amazing.

A few months ago, at the newly thought out meeting of parents and teachers (yes, never had one where parents were allowed to go to different tables of teachers and discuss their kids until this term!!!!!).

During a question and answer session, a falang father got up and and asked if the Thai curriculum is mandatory or can the students chose certain courses. The father believed his child was not getting the full benefit of what he thought NKDRK could offer.

One of the higher admins gets up and tells the parent, with a smirk, "we are in Thailand and this is a Thai school".... NO $HIT SHERLOCK!!!!

Arrogant as can be, those people.

Any business in the west treats their customers as NKDRK does, they would be out of business.

Yep :)

i mean no disrespect to anyone, but is this thread ever going to die?

i worked at kajonkiet for one year. 6 months in the EP program and 6 months in the ESC program. did i enjoy it? no. did i realize very soon into my job there that things would probably never change? yes. were there a lot of disgruntled teachers there three years ago? yes. are there a lot of disgruntled teachers there now? yes.

the working conditions of kajonkiet are probably never going to change. but there are some really good people there working as teachers who have learned to suck it up and do what they are supposed to do...provide the best education they can with the resources given to them.

if, as a parent, you don't like the education your child is receiving at kajonkiet, there are other schooling options on the island. if, as a teacher, you don't like the education you are supposed to be providing, or you don't like the working conditions, there are other schools on the island you can choose to work at. and if those options in phuket don't suit you, why not look elsewhere? there are loads of teaching jobs all over thailand and asia.

more than likely, no job is ever going to provide working conditions that make everyone 100% happy.

i am not against anyone speaking out for what they think is right or wrong, and the comments on this thread-both negative and positive-have been informative and will probably provide a good platform for a parent choosing to send their children to kajonkiet or a prospective teacher choosing to sign a contract to work at kajonkiet.

to the OP, you aren't the first person to dislike working there, and guaranteed you won' t be the last, but if you dislike it so very much, why don't you change jobs? if you already have taken that move, i hope you enjoy your new work place that much more.

for the record, i do not mean what i've said above to be a personal attack on anyone. and for the record, i am no longer working at kajonkiet.

As a parent of a child in the EP school, I feel this thread has been good for both sides and I appreciate all the input. Does all the negative things in this thread apply equally to the EP school, or is this a Thai, ESC only thread?

Like PhuketBlogger, I think the school is doing a decent job, but I too teach at home much more advanced subjects and I wish the school would let those who demonstrate a higher intellect to advance beyond their peers.

• Like 1

i mean no disrespect to anyone, but is this thread ever going to die?

i worked at kajonkiet for one year. 6 months in the EP program and 6 months in the ESC program. did i enjoy it? no. did i realize very soon into my job there that things would probably never change? yes. were there a lot of disgruntled teachers there three years ago? yes. are there a lot of disgruntled teachers there now? yes.

the working conditions of kajonkiet are probably never going to change. but there are some really good people there working as teachers who have learned to suck it up and do what they are supposed to do...provide the best education they can with the resources given to them.

if, as a parent, you don't like the education your child is receiving at kajonkiet, there are other schooling options on the island. if, as a teacher, you don't like the education you are supposed to be providing, or you don't like the working conditions, there are other schools on the island you can choose to work at. and if those options in phuket don't suit you, why not look elsewhere? there are loads of teaching jobs all over thailand and asia.

more than likely, no job is ever going to provide working conditions that make everyone 100% happy.

i am not against anyone speaking out for what they think is right or wrong, and the comments on this thread-both negative and positive-have been informative and will probably provide a good platform for a parent choosing to send their children to kajonkiet or a prospective teacher choosing to sign a contract to work at kajonkiet.

to the OP, you aren't the first person to dislike working there, and guaranteed you won' t be the last, but if you dislike it so very much, why don't you change jobs? if you already have taken that move, i hope you enjoy your new work place that much more.

for the record, i do not mean what i've said above to be a personal attack on anyone. and for the record, i am no longer working at kajonkiet.

Amyb what are you doing looking at forums about Kajon if you have left it behind you? Just interested to know.

i know people who work there, who are friends. i find it interesting to see that since i've left all of the complaints are more or less the same and the working conditions haven't changed. as i said before, no disrespect to anyone and no personal attacks.

i know people who work there, who are friends. i find it interesting to see that since i've left all of the complaints are more or less the same and the working conditions haven't changed. as i said before, no disrespect to anyone and no personal attacks.

No offense taken, I was just curious smile.gif

More reasons for the foreign teachers to get together and exit en-masse. Their working conditions will NEVER improve and will never be listened to.

That will leave King Nong scratching his head. About 3 years ago they were going to do just that, as they got fed up with the South African gang running the school. Then they chickened out. And some of the SA teachers have now left.

As of Friday, the K level kids´ toothbrushes all rubbing against each other in one basket. God bless ´em!! His sister in law, who runs the Thai side, never listens and is not interested. Never was a fan of nepotism.

But they have a nice library and the Philippino teachers are very nice and quite professional, as well. Computer lessons given by them are ok!

More reasons for the foreign teachers to get together and exit en-masse. Their working conditions will NEVER improve and will never be listened to.

That will leave King Nong scratching his head. About 3 years ago they were going to do just that, as they got fed up with the South African gang running the school. Then they chickened out. And some of the SA teachers have now left.

As of Friday, the K level kids´ toothbrushes all rubbing against each other in one basket. God bless ´em!! His sister in law, who runs the Thai side, never listens and is not interested. Never was a fan of nepotism.

But they have a nice library and the Philippino teachers are very nice and quite professional, as well. Computer lessons given by them are ok!

Good idea!! Should be more than just the foreign teachers taking that step. People united are very powerful and unstoppable.

More reasons for the foreign teachers to get together and exit en-masse.

Good idea!! Should be more than just the foreign teachers taking that step. People united are very powerful and unstoppable.

Assume you yourself have already done that then? Meanwhile my son had an enjoyable morning playing football at school today. Take your negativity away please. I know it sits well on Thai Visa but this is real life.

• Like 1

The man has the right to his opinion. Or she...

I, for one, am delighted that your child is happy at the school. Most of the kids are. That is, because they are oblivious to the underlying faults of the school. But they need not know about it.

But having an ostrich as a parent, now that is something I would not condone. But asking questions directly to the school about some of the points brought up here, now that will be IDEAL! You forget that you are a customer and that school is a business.

• Like 1