D Link Router/Modems Any Good?

TravelerEastWest

D Link Wired (not wireless) Router/Modems any Good?

I am moving soon (in Bangkok) and will give 3BB's 5/1 with a fixed IP a try.

I have a 3 year old wireless Zyxel that came with a True account and I would like to try a brand new all in one modem/router.

At the IT City near me thay have for about 1,100 baht a D-link router/modem that looks good. They also have a "N" rated wireless router for 3,000+ Baht (I don't remember exactly how much).

I will have a total of 2 or 3 computers using the internet with the 1st floor computer having a wired internet connection from outside the house.

I have cable on hand that would reach to the 2nd floor and a switch box so I can easily have a wired connection to the second floor.

My questions:

1) D-link modem/router quality?

2) If I use the "N" rated wireless router in addition to a modem will my 2nd floor connection be at least 99% as good as a wired connection?

3) Any recent stories about 3BB's premier service in Bangkok?

Note with my current 2nd floor wired connection I have no problems and am happy.

A couple of years ago I had a low end Belkin wireless router and my internet connection was not stable.

I use a Vonage VOIP phone and send lots of photos over the internet.

Edited by TravelerEastWest

Re. D-link routers, for 24/7 heavy operation they do have some problems in their firmware. Such as hanging, rebooting, slowing down to a crawl. After 1 Dlink router I switched to zyxel, they seem to perform much better especially the newer models with integrated wireless n and the latest firmware.

Re. Wireless n, it does perform much better through walls and if you use wireless n equipment on both sides the speed is similar to a wired connection. As wireless is collision based, using many systems on 1 access point may of course slow it down. I use it in the house instead of having to wire many rooms.

I currently own a DGL-4300(24hrs medium usage, 5yrs and counting) and a DIR-655(24hrs heavy usage, 2yrs and counting), each connected to Zyxel P-660R modem.

I used to own a Zyxel G-560, was not happy with it, difficult to use, wireless performance not so good.

My sister used to own Linksys wifi router modem, died on her and I recommended DLink. Her DLink still working as it should be for over a year now.

My DIR-655 can operate at N speeds and I have no problems with it. Distance greatly depends on "conditions" just because it works well with me, it might not work so well in your environment.

But here is the constant: Wifi don't work so well in "heavy" wifi usage, ie: torrents. If you are going to use a notebook or PC on your 2nd floor doing torrents, then you will experience frequent "disconnects". For torrents, stick to wired connections.

I've got both wired and wireless connections going on, "heavy" bandwith, NAS, on wired. Notebooks, iPhone, PDA, other PC's on wireless.

Suggest you get a 4-port wireless 'N' series gateway (modem/router). This will give you the flexibility for a combination of LAN cable for PCs or a portable wireless laptop.

I just got a Belkin N150 for a 2-bedroom condo, running 3BB 4mbps line. Is working a okay compared to the earlier Zyxel/True service. Did away with True due to their redirecting my browser to their website.

If you want faster LAN connectivity between your comps, Belkin N300 pricing about Bt3250+ would be better.

Re. D-link routers, for 24/7 heavy operation they do have some problems in their firmware. Such as hanging, rebooting, slowing down to a crawl. After 1 Dlink router I switched to zyxel, they seem to perform much better especially the newer models with integrated wireless n and the latest firmware.

Re. Wireless n, it does perform much better through walls and if you use wireless n equipment on both sides the speed is similar to a wired connection. As wireless is collision based, using many systems on 1 access point may of course slow it down. I use it in the house instead of having to wire many rooms.

Everyone,

Great answers - very helpful!

Noudb,

".. the speed is similar to a wired connection."

Could you elaborate please. For example does similar mean that I won't be able to tell the difference?

Also I do not know what torrents are but I do use an internet Vonage telephone is that similar? Note, I really need a good internet connection for my phone.

Trodgers,

I looked at Belkin and they were said to run hot by the salesman at IT city compared to D Link.

I could not find an N series wireless modem/router at the local store but I can buy a wired router/modem for about 1100 baht and then buy another wireless N router and connect the two together - I think...

IndoThai,

"..But here is the constant: Wifi don't work so well in "heavy" wifi usage, ie: torrents. If you are going to use a notebook or PC on your 2nd floor doing torrents, then you will experience frequent "disconnects". For torrents, stick to wired connections."

Sounds like I need wired for my VOIP Vonage phone.

Everyone,

Great answers - very helpful!

Noudb,

".. the speed is similar to a wired connection."

Could you elaborate please. For example does similar mean that I won't be able to tell the difference?

Also I do not know what torrents are but I do use an internet Vonage telephone is that similar? Note, I really need a good internet connection for my phone.

Trodgers,

I looked at Belkin and they were said to run hot by the salesman at IT city compared to D Link.

I could not find an N series wireless modem/router at the local store but I can buy a wired router/modem for about 1100 baht and then buy another wireless N router and connect the two together - I think...

IndoThai,

"..But here is the constant: Wifi don't work so well in "heavy" wifi usage, ie: torrents. If you are going to use a notebook or PC on your 2nd floor doing torrents, then you will experience frequent "disconnects". For torrents, stick to wired connections."

Torrents will kill connections quite quickly, regardless if you are on wired or wireless. It does so by "saturating" the link with large amount of connections, if you are going to use VOIP, stop your torrents first (shutdown the app). I do use skype often (on iPhone wifi and wired pc). Those DLinks I mentioned can do simple traffic shaping (give priority to certain traffic), but it's probably much easier to just kill the app that is hogging all the bandwidth.

If your torrent app allows it, you can "fine tune" the app by limiting bandwidth, connections, and even schedule time periods.

Good luck.

Trodgers,

IndoThai,

Got my Belkin at IT City in Seacon. Been using it for a week now, with a PC on wireless USB, and a wireless laptop. Do not find the router hotter than usual. Seems similar to the old wireless Zyxel in another condo unit of mine.

PC on wireless is running Utorrent 24/7. Set the following limits in Utorrent

Global upload speed - 40 KiloBytes/s (3BB is giving 512 kbps upload)

Global max. no. of connections - 100

Max. no. of peers per torrent - 32

Max. no. of active downloads - 3

Got my Belkin at IT City in Seacon. Been using it for a week now, with a PC on wireless USB, and a wireless laptop. Do not find the router hotter than usual. Seems similar to the old wireless Zyxel in another condo unit of mine.

PC on wireless is running Utorrent 24/7. Set the following limits in Utorrent

Global upload speed - 40 KiloBytes/s (3BB is giving 512 kbps upload)

Global max. no. of connections - 100

Max. no. of peers per torrent - 32

Max. no. of active downloads - 3

TRogers has the perfect example on torrent control.

My settings on my NSA220 box running 24/7:

Upload 10KB (True is supposed to give me 1mb, but reality is around 512 to 756).

Global max. connections - 300

Max no. of peer per torrent - 100

Max no. of active downloads - 2

I have used D Link routers (both wired and wireless) for a number of years in a few houses that I manage. They have proved to be both reliable and efficent. Most problems come from the telephone cable or TOT<br><br>I would happily buy them again<br>

I'm glad somebody likes their 'stuff' - I've other more descriptive words that I will refrain from using.

Their support policy is some place below sea level and reliability mtaches - 3 units (2 different models) in 9 months - all unreliable.

Replaced with Linksys & Netgear - work a treat