The Worst And Most Obnoxious Tourists

zzaa09

One of the behaviours that I find most repulsive of any tourist, regardless of race, nationality or religion, is stumbling drunkenly in a kilt singing"The Sash My Father Wore..."

SC

On the contrary SC its good to discover these things early. I have traced my family tree back through generations in Scotland(my father's side) and Ireland(through my grandfather) and I find much as a border collie when given anything smelling of sheep will prick up its ears I hear the sash and automatically think 'Run...run away.....far far away...

A dislike of mine is anyone wearing socks and flip flops particularly if they sit next to me....I just assume they are utterly boring ...Its unfair I know but I can't help it really I must try harder on this one.

And my most hated tourist is the muppet who thinks its ok to walk through town wearing speedos......this just gives us all a bad name....I stare at them but maybe its time to up the ante and start taking some farang offence...!

Israeli backpackers are the worst...

I like to get out into the country side, and that often means staying in budget accommodation where nothing else is available... obnoxious, penny pinching, thieves...

Don't know if the general Israeli population to know if this is just limited to the packpacker age group...

You actually touched on a valid point. Years ago when I hadn't been anywhere, I had a negative opinion about Australian men. That was because all the Aussie men I met had come to Canada on a one way ticket, and were trying to live on a shoe-string budget. They were a bunch of freeloaders and used our resources without putting anything back in the pot. The women were much nicer. After marrying an Aussie lady I took several trips to Australia and met an entirely different class of people. I discovered I really liked the average Aussie. It was only the freeloading, Cheap Charlie, back packers that were the problem.

I believe that could be the same with the group who come to Thailand.

I once met 3 young, attractive, French women that irritated me no end with their penny pinching attitude towards a red bus driver who wanted a fair wage to take us all to Doi Suthep. I had two Thai ladies with me, but the driver needed 10 people to make a load feesable. I made a point of paying the guy the difference with a look of scorn towards the French women.

The ones walking through the streets, wearing only shorts or bikini, drinking from a big bottle of beer.

Extremely disrespectful to the country/culture they visit.

Members from the more traditional catholic/ortodox and muslim tourist areas in Europe would especially know what I talk about.

The ones walking through the streets, wearing only shorts or bikini, drinking from a big bottle of beer.

Members from the more traditional catholic/ortodox and muslim tourist areas in Europe would especially know what I talk about.

You're absolutely right. When walking, a small beer is suifficient. And when driving, best to stick to nips (I can say that, can't I, without the PC pcs pulling me up for racism?"

Though I suppose it does depend on the country or culture you're visiting, whilst my bigotries generally transcend location - I like to think I have my own standards to behave against - and to use for the purposes of forming prejudices against others

You're culture and morals might be relative, mine are not

SC

Israeli backpackers are the worst...

I like to get out into the country side, and that often means staying in budget accommodation where nothing else is available... obnoxious, penny pinching, thieves...

Don't know if the general Israeli population to know if this is just limited to the packpacker age group...

Obnoxious? I can see how they can come off that way as the Israeli culture fosters an attitude that the entire world except a few places like the USA are against them. There is some truth to their perception, witness the thinly veiled antisemitic post I am responding to. They tend to want to hang out with their fellow nationals, something not unique to Israelis. Penny pinching? No pennies in Thailand. Long stay backpackers of any nationality are often on a tight budget. They are usually on their post-military service break. This group is given some money by their government after mandatory military service, and these trips are a way to burn off stress and have the time of their lives. They want to make it last a long time, the money they get isn't so large that they can do this without being thrifty. Thieves? What are you talking about? I have heard of tourists being arrested for stealing a hotel towel. If most of the Israeli backpackers are stealing things here, why don't we hear about massive arrests? I seriously doubt this charge.

YOU are the one injecting the idea of anti-Semitism into the debate, not Daewoo. The only group he is criticizing is Israelis, not jews and you really should know the difference.

A number of nationalities have been both generalized and criticized without a peep from you but as soon as someone does the same to Israel its anti-Semitism. Where is your evidence?

Are you saying that ANY criticism of Israel and its people is anti-Semitic and therefore should be discounted?

Sorry to go off topic a bit but playing this kind of trump card to win an argument or to stop debate really annoys me. Like being called racist because I don't support Obama.

Edited by teatree

There were several posts that were deleted that referred to Jews and Israelis as the same thing. It is a rather common belief among the anti-Semitic "community" as is the dishonest tactic of pretending that they do not lump them all together in the interest of "fair" debate. :whistling:

There were several posts that were deleted that referred to Jews and Israelis as the same thing. It is a rather common belief among the anti-Semitic "community" as is the dishonest tactic of pretending that they do not lump them all together in the interest of "fair" debate. :whistling:

In the PC world we now find ourselves in, it would appear if you arent pro the Israeli gov't actions you are immediately branded with the anti-Semetic tag.

Quite ironic really when the same tag could be applied to the Israeli gov't.

• Like 1

In the PC world we now find ourselves in, it would appear if you arent pro the Israeli gov't actions you are immediately branded with the anti-Semetic tag.

Give us some examples gents....explanations backing up your claim.....most of the attack on Israelis seems to be bar lore....I've met loads of them both in Goa and Thailand and never been ripped off once.....some are arrogant and they tend to stick to their own especially if there's a group of them but so what!?

Anyway I'm adding to the list Kiwis who will only talk rugby.....usually found wearing an All Black shirt so at least easy to spot!

• Like 1

I am happy to respond to this.

The vast majority of Jews in the world have either minor or major objections to Israeli GOVERNMENT policy. There is also of course a very active opposition movement in Israel as Israel is a DEMOCRACY (unlike its neighbors).

So of course stating rational anti-Israeli government policy sentiments does not make a person an anti-semite. Of course some people having those views are indeed antisemites, but that is a separate matter.

Beyond that, you get into more grey areas.

When people call Israelis Nazis or display Israeli flags merged with Nazi swastikas, they know they are deliberately provoking an emotional hot button for Jews everywhere, and sorry, that is an act of antisemitism and also false, Israel's policies, even the worse ones, are not equivalent to the Third Reich.

Regarding backpackers from Israel, you cannot get around that the vast majority of them are Jews coming from the only Jewish nation state in the world, where most of them are fresh from being Israeli Defense Force soldiers. When people call them all cheap thieves, be aware that WILL be seen as a voice of antisemitism from the vast majority of Jews, Israelis and otherwise. It is true that strictly Jews and Israelis are not the same thing, they are ENOUGH of the same thing that when you make false vicious stereotypes about ALL ISRAELIS you will be indeed be seen as an antisemite (and you probably are, sorry).

To expand this point a bit, if you say Saudis all are this or that bad thing, it is clear you are not saying all Arabs or all Muslims are this or that bad thing as there are MANY Islamist states in the world. But there is only ONE Jewish state, as Jews are tiny tiny minority compared to Muslims, so there is a much greater chance you will be seen as talking about Jews when you talk about Israelis.

Edited by Jingthing

Israeli? Uh!!

Kiwi? Ah!

Arabs? Bla bla!

Paki, Yanks, Aussie, Spaghetti, Frogs, Mex, Canada, Peruans, Chinese, Japs, Krayts, Vikings, Svizzeri, Russki, Rednecks, Wasp, Thaivisa.

Please, this thread don't go nowhere

Israeli? Uh!!

Kiwi? Ah!

Arabs? Bla bla!

Paki, Yanks, Aussie, Spaghetti, Frogs, Mex, Canada, Peruans, Chinese, Japs, Krayts, Vikings, Svizzeri, Russki, Rednecks, Wasp, Thaivisa.

This is the pub forum......pour another glass of Barolo and ignore the politics. ;)

The usual story......maybe the Americans will be the next to be bashed.....or English lager louts...anyway time for a Heineken....when in Rome and all that....B)

Give us some examples gents....explanations backing up your claim.....most of the attack on Israelis seems to be bar lore....I've met loads of them both in Goa and Thailand and never been ripped off once

I wrote a few paragraphs about many positive experiences - and no bad ones - with Israeli customers in Thailand over many years, but it was removed for some reason. I would guess that it was to stop posters from generalizing about ethnic groups for the good or bad? :huh:

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

I find the obnoxiousicity (?, if Sara Palin can invent words so can I :D ) of any particular nationality is proportional to the group size.

Unfortunately, as a Brit, I am condemned to walk the resorts of the world for all of eternity wearing sackcloth and ashes to atone for the actions of many of my countrymen. It is true that of all the nationalities loose on the planet the groups of Brits plaguing Thainland as amongst the most shameful.

That's why I love it here in HCMC, no direct flights to/from the UK and no entry without a visa. That tends to limit the visitors from those septic, sorry sceptered, isles to mainly those with a brain.

I hope, in addition to not generalising too much, I will be permitted the criticism of my own.

Give us some examples gents....explanations backing up your claim.....most of the attack on Israelis seems to be bar lore....I've met loads of them both in Goa and Thailand and never been ripped off once

I wrote a few paragraphs about many positive experiences - and no bad ones - with Israeli customers in Thailand over many years, but it was removed for some reason. I would guess that it was to stop posters from generalizing about ethnic groups for the good or bad? :huh:

I guess if it wasn't kosher jihad-spiel it would be censored; any intelligent debate or facts would offend the sensibilities of both sides in their holy war against the rest of the world, and sadly these crusaders appear to have control over the boundaries of what is considered acceptable (I'll be getting into trouble with the boys in parkas again here - Viva Lambrettas!), so sadly that appears to be an area of discussion where we cannot air our prejudices that they may be challenged and exposed to ridicule and refutation.

In the interests of humour and wit, I think it would be entertaining to see how thin ice you could skate on without landing in hot water, and how far you could stretch the bounds of prejudice within the limits of political correctness, through double entendres, euphemisms and metaphors, bearing in mind that some of the chaps on scooters suffer from sarcasm-blindness - although to be fair, others are as far-sighted as Horatio Nelson...

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

I have my own bland prejudices about "the worst and most obnoxious" , but i wouldn't be fair to point the finger to any race or nationality, IMO.

Btw, i am sure most will agree, large groups of ANY nationality travelling together can be obnoxious.

In the best of the cases they are noisy.There is something i cannot understand about 'package tourism'.Boring to say the least

I also have to say that the average of Thai people who work with tourists are way more patient than i would be.

You're absolutely right. When walking, a small beer is suifficient. And when driving, best to stick to nips (I can say that, can't I, without the PC pcs pulling me up for racism?"

Though I suppose it does depend on the country or culture you're visiting, whilst my bigotries generally transcend location - I like to think I have my own standards to behave against - and to use for the purposes of forming prejudices against others

You're culture and morals might be relative, mine are not

SC

In other words, visitors whom insult the local culture by the way they behave.

I do appologize for the "big beer bottle", when it should have been "a beer bottle".

Israeli? Uh!!

Kiwi? Ah!

Arabs? Bla bla!

This is the pub forum......pour another glass of Barolo and ignore the politics. ;)

The usual story......maybe the Americans will be the next to be bashed.....or English lager louts...anyway time for a Heineken....when in Rome and all that....B)

Yea, we are long overdue for some British and American bashing,its become a sort of Forum Sport,for some.

I am happy to respond to this.

The vast majority of Jews in the world have either minor or major objections to Israeli GOVERNMENT policy. There is also of course a very active opposition movement in Israel as Israel is a DEMOCRACY (unlike its neighbors).

So of course stating rational anti-Israeli government policy sentiments does not make a person an anti-semite. Of course some people having those views are indeed antisemites, but that is a separate matter.

Beyond that, you get into more grey areas.

When people call Israelis Nazis or display Israeli flags merged with Nazi swastikas, they know they are deliberately provoking an emotional hot button for Jews everywhere, and sorry, that is an act of antisemitism and also false, Israel's policies, even the worse ones, are not equivalent to the Third Reich.

Regarding backpackers from Israel, you cannot get around that the vast majority of them are Jews coming from the only Jewish nation state in the world, where most of them are fresh from being Israeli Defense Force soldiers. When people call them all cheap thieves, be aware that WILL be seen as a voice of antisemitism from the vast majority of Jews, Israelis and otherwise. It is true that strictly Jews and Israelis are not the same thing, they are ENOUGH of the same thing that when you make false vicious stereotypes about ALL ISRAELIS you will be indeed be seen as an antisemite (and you probably are, sorry).

To expand this point a bit, if you say Saudis all are this or that bad thing, it is clear you are not saying all Arabs or all Muslims are this or that bad thing as there are MANY Islamist states in the world. But there is only ONE Jewish state, as Jews are tiny tiny minority compared to Muslims, so there is a much greater chance you will be seen as talking about Jews when you talk about Israelis.

So in other words, any serious criticism and stereo-typing of Israelis is anti-Semitic but serious criticism and stereo-typing of ANY other nationality is tolerable and should be allowed to continue?

Edited by teatree

So in other words, any serious criticism and stereo-typing of Israelis is anti-Semitic but serious criticism and stereo-typing of ANY other nationality is tolerable and should be allowed to continue?

No, I never said that. Total distortion of my post. Tells me where you are coming from though.

<BR>
<BR>So in other words, any serious criticism and stereo-typing of Israelis is anti-Semitic but serious criticism and stereo-typing of ANY other nationality is tolerable and should be allowed to continue?<BR>
<BR>No, I never said that. Total distortion of my post. Tells me where you are coming from though.<BR>
<BR><BR>'In other words'....yep just about sums it up......its beginning to have shades of the red/yellow nonsense on this thread usual story of people either not reading posts correctly or setting their own agenda. Pathetic as always. <BR>

No, I never said that. Total distortion of my post. Tells me where you are coming from though.

Where did I distort your post?

You said:

'When people call them all cheap thieves, be aware that WILL be seen as a voice of antisemitism from the vast majority of Jews, Israelis and otherwise." (Criticize and generalize Israelis? - no, no ,no, no its anti-Semitic)

and then you said:

"if you say Saudis all are this or that bad thing, it is clear you are not saying all Arabs or all Muslims are this or that bad thing as there are MANY Islamist states in the world."

(Criticize and generalize Saudis? Ok.... It not anti-Islamic)

For one group you are saying strong criticism and stereotyping is a result of discrimination and for the another group similar criticism and stereotyping is not a result of discrimination.

And, are you insinuating I am anti-semitic from the posts I have made on this topic?