3G In Thailand By The End Of The Year

ajarnfalang

Apparently the news is that Thailand may be getting 3G, real 3G everywhere, soon. It has been delayed for years but the word is 3G licenses will be up for sale in the coming months for 4-8 billion baht. Expect DTAC and AIS to jump all over it quick.

I think it'll be in the 2100mhz spectrum.

Can't wait to use my Blackberry on 3G. This is my modem for my computer and EDGE is slow as molasses.

We may be getting 3G service by the end of the year. God willing. Please God. I will go to church every Sunday. I promise. Just give me 3G!

I've been using 3G in Bangkok for about 5 months. It started out quite fast and reliable, but as things usually go here, has degraded to a crawl at best until about 5:00 AM in the morning. I don't see this improving with more players and customers.

I've been using 3G in Bangkok for about 5 months. It started out quite fast and reliable, but as things usually go here, has degraded to a crawl at best until about 5:00 AM in the morning. I don't see this improving with more players and customers.

That's because they are advertising it as 3G but it is not real 3G. It is what they call 3G, but it's over the 2G frequency. Thailand still doesn't have 3G.

Once they actually get the licenses, you will get a 3G signal from a tower for 3G in the 2100mhz spectrum (right now you are getting it over the 850mhz, which is what they use for everything else), which is real HSDPA. RIght now, all they have is slightly faster 2G (sometimes) and they are selling it to you as 3G.

Edited by ajarnfalang

That's because they are advertising it as 3G but it is not real 3G. It is what they call 3G, but it's over the 2G frequency. Thailand still doesn't have 3G.

Once they actually get the licenses, you will get a 3G signal from a tower for 3G in the 2100mhz spectrum (right now you are getting it over the 850mhz, which is what they use for everything else), which is real HSDPA. RIght now, all they have is slightly faster 2G (sometimes) and they are selling it to you as 3G.

I've been on 3G for a year now and usually get 2500 to 3000kbps - streams You Tube and a 700MB torrent in 2 1/2 hours or less. No complaints here. biggrin.gif

I've been on 3G for a year now and usually  get 2500 to 3000kbps  -  streams You Tube and a 700MB torrent in 2 1/2 hours or less. No complaints here.   biggrin.gif

Hey thaigold, may I ask what your signal strength is and where exactly you are in Bangkok? Are you with True or a TOT provider?

I'm on AIS 3G in Chiang Mai. 2.5 -3.5. So what's this that Thailand does not have 3G?:whistling:

Apparently the news is that Thailand may be getting 3G, real 3G everywhere, soon. It has been delayed for years but the word is 3G licenses will be up for sale in the coming months for 4-8 billion baht. Expect DTAC and AIS to jump all over it quick.

Governments have been issuing '3G by the end of the year' announcements since at least 2004. Even within Abhsit's term its been accelerated, decelerated, put on hold and 'fast tracked'. The only development in the last six years is the recent passage of some enabling legislation.

I hope I'm wrong, but my best guess is 3G seriously starting to happen in 2012, and there is a fair chance they'll eventually scrap it and start talking about setting up 4G instead. I think there's actually been some press releases about '3.9G' recently, whatever that is. Grrr!!!!

Yes I am cranky :-)

Governments have been issuing '3G by the end of the year' announcements since at least 2004. Even within Abhsit's term its been accelerated, decelerated, put on hold and 'fast tracked'. The only development in the last six years is the recent passage of some enabling legislation.

I hope I'm wrong, but my best guess is 3G seriously starting to happen in 2012, and there is a fair chance they'll eventually scrap it and start talking about setting up 4G instead. I think there's actually been some press releases about '3.9G' recently, whatever that is. Grrr!!!!

Yes I am cranky :-)

No, just a realist. I wish that they'd ban using the future tense in Thailand. There's too much talk about what's coming and not enough real action.

I think your information below is wrong...

True Move's 3G service trial, at present, is running on the 850 Mhz band... But TOT/IMobile's 3G service is running on the 2100 Mhz band, which apparently will be the main future band for 3G in Thailand.

I have a Nokia phone that I use just fine and make a 3G network connection on the TOT/IMobile network, and that phone only can receive 3G on one band, which is the 2100 Mhz one.

Both the TOT and True 3G services, at present, are only available in the central areas of Bangkok.

AIS 3G is so so. Not the worst and not the best. Their service and support has slacked off over time which was to be expected. If you travel as I do you will go over to edge which is slower than the second coming. Some serious though of going over to CAT CDMA.

That;s not correct below, to the best of my knowledge....

Here's the link to the True Move web page that describes their Wifi services and prices....

Here's a link to their web page for Wifi/GPRS/EDGE packages. True's basic calling plans don't include data services, unless you choose to add and pay for that.

Their 3G service, available only in central BKK and only on the 850 Mhz band, is included at no extra charge when you purchase one of their regular data packages.

True have 100% free data plans and I can get a wireless connection pretty much everywhere, making 3G irrelevant.

That;s not correct below, to the best of my knowledge....

Here's the link to the True Move web page that describes their Wifi services and prices....

Here's a link to their web page for Wifi/GPRS/EDGE packages. True's basic calling plans don't include data services, unless you choose to add and pay for that.

Their 3G service, available only in central BKK and only on the 850 Mhz band, is included at no extra charge when you purchase one of their regular data packages.

True have 100% free data plans and I can get a wireless connection pretty much everywhere, making 3G irrelevant.

Of course it comes as a bundle. This arrangement is the same in the UK too.

Perhaps I should clarify; I am on a mobile contract with a call package that has unlimited data, no per unit charge, whatever the flavour.

599 Baht per month gives me unlimited data, 300 minutes call time and 300 texts.

Edited by bangkockney

That sounds like a pretty good deal. Who's that with?

With True. I have a feeling it was an iPhone only deal.

And even better was that we paid for the phones outright with a Bangkok Bank credit card and got 0% interest for 6 months. This was available to people with K bank credit cards too.

In checking further, I mis-spoke below re True 3G only being available in central BKK... That's not correct.

True's 3G web site says they also, besides BKK, offer mobile 3G service in certain areas of Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai...

See the coverage maps for those 3 additional areas at this True web site...

Separately, one thing about True, and probably the other carriers also, is that they're always adding and deleting various service plans and promotions.

For example, I have what they used to call their 4-in-1 post pay plan, which provided 15 hours of Wifi/Edge/GPRS (including 3G) per month plus added-charge (no allowance) calling at 2 baht for the first minute and 1 baht for all additional minutes.

However, now, they appear to not offer that plan anymore, and instead now have gone to a variety of either hourly or data limit plans. True's post pay data (GPRS/EDGE/Wifi and 3G) plans are here... Most of their plans have some limit in terms of either hours or data used...

Both the TOT and True 3G services, at present, are only available in the central areas of Bangkok.

Edited by jfchandler

And even better was that we paid for the phones outright with a Bangkok Bank credit card and got 0% interest for 6 months. This was available to people with K bank credit cards too.

Thanks. Well they don't generally want proof that you actually own one. Saying you own one is usually enough.

Thanks. Well they don't generally want proof that you actually own one. Saying you own one is usually enough.

0% interest is applied to your credit card statement by the issuing bank for the period. You must pay with a qualifying credit card.

• 2 weeks later...
True's 3G web site says they also, besides BKK, offer mobile 3G service in certain areas of Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai...

See the coverage maps for those 3 additional areas at this True web site...

Their coverage map for the Pattaya area shows that about, oh, say, about 95% of their 3G coverage area is over the Gulf of Thailand. Are they targeting boaters???

post-33251-084387500 1281852475_thumb.gi