Working In Thailand

Hi everyone. This is my first post, so please be easy on me :o

Last year I was in Thailand for a while and completed bachelor's degree in international business management. Now, I'm thinking of going back because, well, I just loved it there. I'm 23, male, very computer literate and speak a few languages (to varying degrees).

I'm wondering, what kind of possibilities do I have in getting over to Thailand to start working? I'm not in the country at present, so this makes things a bit difficult for me in terms of actually finding something to do over there. Has anyone else hese just picked up and left to go work in Thailand?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edited by tremoloman

Big changes since last year.

Prices are going up - particulary home electric bills and gasoline prices - I think it's the tip of the iceberg. I have found recently that my financial flexibility has been disabled by 3% because my credit cards and debit card are whacking me when I use them here. This makes life more difficult, unless I'm willing to pay that fee.

This makes life less convenient than it was in the past.

Take a look at other threads and you will see that (oil-import based) energy issues are just beginning to cause a domino effect on many aspects of the economy - society to follow, if not already. Some recent opinion pieces talk about the loss of 'sanuk', etc.

My point is that the current energy crisis is having a big impact on the assumptions we have made in the past about living in Thailand. Prices and new energy-saving policies are making it an iffy proposition to be here.

I've been comfortable for a while, recent changes have made me question my assumptions. I'm taking another look at how I can get back to my home country with my wife. Things are getting tougher everywhere, but in a small country like Thailand, the problems are magnified.

Hi everyone.  This is my first post, so please be easy on me  :o

Last year I was in Thailand for a while and completed bachelor's degree in international business management.  Now, I'm thinking of going back because, well, I just loved it there.  I'm 23, male, very computer literate and speak a few languages (to varying degrees).

I'm wondering, what kind of possibilities do I have in getting over to Thailand to start working?  I'm not in the country at present, so this makes things a bit difficult for me in terms of actually finding something to do over there.  Has anyone else hese just picked up and left to go work in Thailand?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

young, green,keen, no-experience.....you'd probably have to resort to the default farang job..english teaching. Or start your own business.

There is really no job market for inexperienced people except the native speaking English teachers (which are always in demand - although the pay is not usually very high). Unless you are sure you could set up your own business where you know the rules I would not even consider trying it here with no experience. Perhaps it would be better to make this your vacation destination rather than vocation.

There is really no job market for inexperienced people except the native speaking English teachers (which are always in demand - although the pay is not usually very high).  Unless you are sure you could set up your own business where you know the rules I would not even consider trying it here with no experience.  Perhaps it would be better to make this your vacation destination rather than vocation.

Well put.....good succinct response to a very frequently asked question.

depend on which languages you can communicate, you might be a good tourist guide/diving teacher/travel agency sales guy. Such jobs might be at low salery, but might gives you the chance to meet people and maybe find something different.

It also depends on where are you from (tourists always like to communicate with people from the same country as they are from).

Last year I was in Thailand for a while and completed bachelor's degree in international business management.  Now, I'm thinking of going back because, well, I just loved it there.  I'm 23, male, very computer literate and speak a few languages (to varying degrees).

I'm wondering, what kind of possibilities do I have in getting over to Thailand to start working?  I'm not in the country at present, so this makes things a bit difficult for me in terms of actually finding something to do over there.  Has anyone else hese just picked up and left to go work in Thailand?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Harmonica was making a suggustion of a way for an unexperienced farang to make money in Thailand :o (in another thread) , I am not sure you'd like it as it involves quite a bit of (physical and mental) transformation on your side. :D

and more seriously - this is not your playground and the conditions are not favourable - to earn more than a teacher's salary you will need to show an employer that you possess some special skills. If you want to start your own business you better know what you're doing and have enough finance backing you up.

Edited by ~G~

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Go to America and kick some ass for the next 30 years. Forget about England, Australia, Canada and eurozone countries. If you come to Thailand now, @ age 23, you are doing things backwards.

If however, a multinational co. hires you and sends you here on a 150,000 USD/yr. salary, take it.

If you want to eat out of soup cans for the rest of your life come here now and become an english teacher -- you will at least get an 80% discount from bargirls for all-nighters.

If you want to come here now to start your own business -- instead of doing so, take the entire amount of capital at your disposal for starting the said business and go have the vacation of your life -- I mean, really splurge!

Why?

Because if you came to Thailand now, you'd lose it all within 2 years and be back at square 1 .... and be miserable, jaded, negative and obnoxious to boot.

The former at least gives you the time of your life.

You'd still be broke, but you'd have a clean heart and no mental baggage, aka scars! America would still be your best bet, regardless!

Dig?

:D

Beside, all the girls here like old farang.  :D

But they're more than happy to drill a young fella at no charge, esp. if he's got the looks. I have proof -- went out drinking with a young english buddy (24 yrs. old); offers of "you no pay, we go home now, OK?" were abundant all evening, all the way till 2:30 AM. Then he took 3 of them home, all at no charge.

I got zip! :o

People in this forum are jaded. Don't pay them any attention. If you've got spunk, a good head on your shoulders, and some ideas - by all means come over and give it a go. What have you got to lose? If things don't work out, you're still young and can easily try somewhere else.

Beside, all the girls here like old farang.  :D

But they're more than happy to drill a young fella at no charge, esp. if he's got the looks. I have proof -- went out drinking with a young english buddy (24 yrs. old); offers of "you no pay, we go home now, OK?" were abundant all evening, all the way till 2:30 AM. Then he took 3 of them home, all at no charge.

I got zip! :o

I think UC just got his nouns mixed up. Give him a few minutes or days. :D

People in this forum are jaded.  Don't pay them any attention.  If you've got spunk, a good head on your shoulders, and some ideas - by all means come over and give it a go.  What have you got to lose?  If things don't work out, you're still young and can easily try somewhere else.

>>>>>> What have you got to lose? <<<<<<<<<<<

Especially @ age 23, I'd suggest you do not violate Las Vegas Axiom #1 , originally discovered and codified by my buddy Bob Jones back in 1980:

All women &lt;deleted&gt;, but the ones that have money are better than the ones that don't!

:o

One sweet, chocolatey, silky lass could set this fella on a course to doomsday in a hurry! At least @ age 50+ you're more than halfways there anyways. So, in answer to "what have you got to lose?" ... Your soul, your very essence! :D

People in this forum are jaded.  Don't pay them any attention.  If you've got spunk, a good head on your shoulders, and some ideas - by all means come over and give it a go.  What have you got to lose?  If things don't work out, you're still young and can easily try somewhere else.

>>>>>> What have you got to lose? <<<<<<<<<<<

Especially @ age 23, I'd suggest you do not violate Las Vegas Axiom #1 , originally discovered and codified by my buddy Bob Jones back in 1980:

All women &lt;deleted&gt;, but the ones that have money are better than the ones that don't!

:D

One sweet, chocolatey, silky lass could set this fella on a course to doomsday in a hurry! At least @ age 50+ you're more than halfways there anyways. So, in answer to "what have you got to lose?" ... Your soul, your very essence! :D

True. The last thing you'd want is a kid(s).... and perhaps other people's kids... that you didn't want in the first place, trying to tread water to support them in a country where 99% of the occupations are restricted to you.

:o

Well my reply was born out of pure experience. 12 years of working in the IT industry in LOS for a US company, involved in hiring decisions/policy over the years too.

give you my input. I've been living here for 13 1/2 months and the people on this board still scare me with the inaccuracies.

I am a 25 year old Afro-American from Los Angeles. I was at Chiang Mai University for one semester. First, I have never been a victim of racism or ageism. This is the first place I've been hired multiple places at once and had to turn some down. However, all the top jobs did say, "you have no experience" just like back in America, so I had to resort to teaching English.

25,000 baht a month is more than twice the median family income and it is more than I made selling cotton candy at Universal Studios.

My first job was at Mae Fah Luang University. At the end of the schoolyear, I was cut without explanation but then other schools CAME TO ME. When I had to turn down one, the lady on the phone was, "Awwww, I was expecting you. I feel so sad"---no exaggeration. During the interview, they were more flirtatious than formal.

So I tell you to come on down! I don't wanna be anywhere else.

p.s. These girls tell me they only like old white guys because of their money.