Thai Driver License

I have a thai driver license, and this license expire at the 6th of october 2010., After the first year in use.

Now I am looking for a extention, and I will be given 5 years as I understood it.

My wife went with me down to the office where they issue thai driver licenses here in Chaiyaphum, and asked them

what papers/documents they demand in order to extend my license.

They said just shortly; we gonna need the very same papers as last time. This is not a problem for me, not at all

except one document. And that is the document that the immigration office issue for you and that confirm your

address and that you have a valid visa here in Thailand.

My friend here did last time he was in Khon Kaen beginning of august, ask for this document, and the only reply

he got from them was WE DO NOT ISSUE SUCH A DOCUMENT......

My question. I am planning to go up there now on friday/monday next. And my plan is to have that formula/document in blanco

and just hand it over to them. By than they must have a hard time to stop me from have it, I hope!! So Guys, is it possible

to find this document in blanco in the library here at thaivisa.com???

very grateful for your help.

Thanks

Glegolo

Nomaly use your "Yellow book" and the wife Blue one, and ask for a letter to any immigration (fee 500 Baht).

Your wife is garant that you live and stay together.

Chiangmai Immi did it for myself and many friends without any problem.

Just wait for about 20 minutes

After that go to the Land transport Department and another 30 minutes and you have your 5 years driving license

You need one photo also for Immigration.

Drivng License they make themself and fee for 5 years motor/car is 960 Baht with the Smartcard.

These are regulations from the Ministery of Foreign Affairs/Immigration

Actually the immigration letter is free, but that is not stopping soem immirgation offices for charging for it:(

If you have a work permit, you can use that. You can also go to the amphur and asked to be registered on the tabien barn. Since 2008 the law allows for that, although not every amphur seems to be aware of this. The tabien barn should be enough.

• Like 1

Dear Gigolo,

Have you tried getting it in Bangkok? If you can get your immigration document sorted out, maybe next time you're in Bangkok you can try getting your license if it's before October.

It's even easier for foreigners than for Thais to renew/extend in Bangkok, because there's a special lane for foreigners which has much less people in line and is much quicker... took me 30 min; while the Thais had to wait the whole day for their numbers to be called. So I guess foreigners do have their own good special treatment in Thailand sometimes... :rolleyes:

OK thank you guys, that was quick. I live in Chaiyaphum and living up here in isaan is not the easiest,

you should know!!

The Amphoe here do not know anything more recent than 10 years back I guess. Typical countryside

town. My wife confirmed that she told them that I have marriage-licens, yellow-book, pass-port and extension of stay.

She told me that the lady at the Ampoe only waved with her hands and said that we SHALL have exactly the

same as we had the first time for one year ago... So yellow book is out of the question here in Chaiyaphum.

Khon Kaen was refusing to issue this letter, saying that. WE DONT DO THAT. My thought was that maybe

this doc in blanco was to be found in our library here at ThaiVISA...... What do you think?????

Glegolo

Unless the rules have changed remember they will only issue the 5 year once your 1 year has expired - so 7 Oct is your nearest date to renew.

Actually it can be done on the 6th October. I renewed mine on the same day the one year expired (25th Dec).

KK immigration will send you to the transport office to get a letter from them requesting immigration give you the proof of address letter.

That is as of about 3-4 weeks ago.

Your Yellow Book should work, as well as a valid WP should.

When I renewed my license last year in Phuket I only needed my passport, my old license and a medical statement. However, it was different with everyone I know, so better to have the house registration paper from the immigration.

When I got it from the immigration before I made my license the first time all they needed were my passport and my rental contract. They charged my 200 Baht, I didn't know that it was free so they tricked me :angry:

House registration paper is called " Bai rab rong tee yoo" in Thai, they should know that form and be able to issue it at every immigration office inlcuding Khon Khaen

"House registration paper is called " Bai rab rong tee yoo" in Thai, they should know that form and be able to issue it at every immigration office inlcuding Khon Khaen"

KK imm will issue it for DL's, but only at the written request of the land transport office.

I've seen several reports on the local KK forum from people who opted not to get or renew their licences at the main office in KKC, but rather went to smaller offices out of the city.

Offices in Chumphae and Ban Phai were mentioned. Reports said those offices were hassle free, and they were in and out fairly quickly.

I just renewed mine from a one year to a five year in Phitsanulok. I went alone. I took a lot of documents to be prepared, including my "yellow book." All they wanted was:

1. The old license

2. A health certificate

3. Passport copy

No test of any kind. The whole process took all of five minutes, including the picture (they took) and another five minutes to process the license card. I was out of there in 10 minutes flat!

When I renewed my license last year in Phuket I only needed my passport, my old license and a medical statement. However, it was different with everyone I know, so better to have the house registration paper from the immigration.

Same for me here in Bangkok when I got my 5 yr auto and motorcycle licenses at Bangkok Area 2 of the Land Transport Office in Khet Talingchan. http://driving.infor...h/thai-dmv.html

No paper or reaction/vision tests for the renewal...in getting the 1 yr license there had been some easy reaction/vision tests which took about 5 minutes. Had checked with the office a few months earlier regarding the renewal date...they said the earliest date was the day the 1 year license expired; if I renewed earlier I would just get another 1 year license. Had copies of my yellow book with me, but the passport was what they were most interested in. Took about 20 minutes to get both licenses. Your results may vary.

Last time in at my renewal,

regarding confirmation of address:

immigration were able to make the address certification letter but only if you have been reporting 90-days at that office for the last year.

otherwise they said your embassy should supply such letter

immigration were able to make the address certification letter but only if you have been reporting 90-days at that office for the last year.

OK just back from the amphoe... So immigration told you that the embassy should issue such a document!!! Just to make this even more embarrasing for Thailand. As I said just back from the Amphoe here in Chaiyaphum. We went to the land office there and ask them for that letter asking immigration to issue a "Bai Rab Rong tee yoo".

Why land office said, I can help you with that Rai-document. OK I said of course, what do you need? Copy passport, copy blue book, copy yellow book, and my falangdriverlicens translated into thai, so that they can see my name written in thai.

We sat there and talked and it took some 30 minutes and they didn´t even charge us anything. Great is the only thing I can say. I do not have to go up to these <deleted> in Khon Kaen and be humiliated by them.

So now we know that the letter asking immigration for a Bai Rab rong tee yoo can be issued by the following officies;

- our embassy in Bangkok

- The office that isues the driver licenses

- the Amphoe where you live.

I want to thank you all for trying to help me with this thing. It is very and extremely good to have this forum to lean on.

Thanks again.

Glegolo

I got my 1 year licence using Immigration Form TM30 - it's included in Mario2008's download list earlier - and went to our local police station (they had the forms there, ready & waiting but take your own, just in case) with my wife & her Blue Book. She signed to confirm I lived there with her and the local cop signed his part too. It was accepted as proof of residence with no problems. The form clearly states "... Immigration Officer or local police officer ... "

That was done after KK Immigration office opened so, since TM30 is an Immigration form, I can't imagine why they wouldn't do exactly as my local police station did.

It might be worth asking the licence people if a police confirmation of address is OK. It'd certainly save you another trek to KK.

I got my Certificate of residency from KK they didnt want to give it to me but asked the misses to donate 200 Baht and then it was a 10 minute job , Mind you the only male IMMi Officer there told the misses that i was being disrespectful by wearing shorts Not Long Pants when i visited the office ! I procceded to tell the misses im Australian and until i can be a Thai Citizen i will wear what i like too any office because im an Australian when im a fully qualified Thai resident (if that ever happens Maybe when i win Lotto) i will wear nice long pants in 40 degree heat with 89% humidity !

• 2 weeks later...

I got my 1 year licence using Immigration Form TM30 - it's included in Mario2008's download list earlier - and went to our local police station (they had the forms there, ready & waiting but take your own, just in case) with my wife & her Blue Book. She signed to confirm I lived there with her and the local cop signed his part too. It was accepted as proof of residence with no problems. The form clearly states "... Immigration Officer or local police officer ... "

That was done after KK Immigration office opened so, since TM30 is an Immigration form, I can't imagine why they wouldn't do exactly as my local police station did.

It might be worth asking the licence people if a police confirmation of address is OK. It'd certainly save you another trek to KK.

So TM30 isn't needed or it is if one already has a YELLOW house book?

What's needed for a first time Thai license? I no longer have an immigrant visa at the moment, just a tourist visa, but the police told me I need to have a Thai license because the motorbike is in my name. Do I need an immigrant visa for this, or is there a way around it? What other documents are needed? I live in Phuket...

I live in Khon Khaen province.

Haven't got round to getting a Thai license yet, but I asked my Missus to check on procedure when she got hers and she was told that I should get a confirmation of address from the local police station.

OK just back from the amphoe... So immigration told you that the embassy should issue such a document!!! Just to make this even more embarrasing for Thailand. As I said just back from the Amphoe here in Chaiyaphum. We went to the land office there and ask them for that letter asking immigration to issue a "Bai Rab Rong tee yoo".

Why land office said, I can help you with that Rai-document. OK I said of course, what do you need? Copy passport, copy blue book, copy yellow book, and my falangdriverlicens translated into thai, so that they can see my name written in thai.

We sat there and talked and it took some 30 minutes and they didn´t even charge us anything. Great is the only thing I can say. I do not have to go up to these <deleted> in Khon Kaen and be humiliated by them.

So now we know that the letter asking immigration for a Bai Rab rong tee yoo can be issued by the following officies;

- our embassy in Bangkok

- The office that isues the driver licenses

- the Amphoe where you live.

I want to thank you all for trying to help me with this thing. It is very and extremely good to have this forum to lean on.

Thanks again.

Glegolo

Bring all you ID stuff and a rental agreement or whatever house paper you have and they are suppose to be able to do that at Immi.

DL

Passport

copies

med form

res paper

old DL

that should do it!