Visa For Myanmar Citizen.

My mate has recently got a lovely Myanmar lady pregnant and wants her to stay in Thailand with him, so any advice on this would be most appreciated as I'm aware it's a bit of a nightmare.

The main reason of this post is to ask if it's possible for her to go to Penang and get a triple tourist Visa (like most Westerners can). Do Malaysia refuse entry to Myanmar people? Will she need a Visa for there? Will they even issue a Visa to her or say she has to get it in her own country?

Thanks in advance people. Appreciated.

Edited by kenkannif

My mate has recently got a lovely Myanmar lady pregnant and wants her to stay in Thailand with him, so any advice on this would be most appreciated as I'm aware it's a bit of a nightmare.

The main reason of this post is to ask if it's possible for her to go to Penang and get a triple tourist Visa (like most Westerners can). Do Malaysia refuse entry to Myanmar people? Will she need a Visa for there? Will they even issue a Visa to her or say she has to get it in her own country?

Thanks in advance people. Appreciated.

Where is she now, and on what visa. Malaysia seems to have more strained relations with Myanmar than Thailand has and I think they may believe that she is avoiding her own country for political reasons. I would think telephoning the Thai Embassy in Myanmar would be the best bet.I am not optimistic. Most of the country would like to leave. :o

So did my brother.

He had her returned to Burma (perhaps for the first time since she crossed the border) and apparently she's having difficulty obtaining a passport over there (not to anybody's surprise I guess). I'll meet my brother tomorrow so will post an update if I hear anything new (that's if I can ask him, seems he's very frustrated about her not being able to return to Thailand).

Edited by Nordlys

Thanks for the bit of help. Utter fool and idiot that I am though his g/f is actually from Laos. So a new thread on it's way!

OK so can I take over this thread?

What is the chance of a Burmese woman who's been staying in Thailand on fake Thai ID for years (also illegal entry) to go back to Burma, obtain a legitimate Burmese passport and Thai visa and come back to live in Thailand again legally? She is pregnant with my brother's baby. My brother has a Thai citizenship.

They may not register their marriage for a while even after his GF comes back to live with my brother in Thailand as a legal alien. In that case will his child be only eligible for Burmese citizenship? My brother has both Japanese and Thai citizenships. Any chance the baby can acquire Thai nationality by having the court acknowledge my brother as a biological father of the baby but without getting married?

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: my borther's GF came back to Thailand (to Mae Sai) without a passport or visa (not to my surprise). Seems they found out no Burmese citizen is allowed to marry a foreign national. Is this true?? And her parents in Burma were intimidated by government officials who learned their daughter is pregnant with the baby of a foreigner (my brother). Is there any way a Burmese national can live in Thailand legally when they can't even get a passport?? Can a foreigner seek asylum in Thailand and become a Thai citizen?? Or is it safe to think if that is possible there's no illegal Burmese aliens or Laotin Hmong refugees in Thailand in the first place...

UPDATE: my borther's GF came back to Thailand (to Mae Sai) without a passport or visa (not to my surprise).  Seems they found out no Burmese citizen is allowed to marry a foreign national.  Is this true??  And her parents in Burma were intimidated by government officials who learned their daughter is pregnant with the baby of a foreigner (my brother).  Is there any way a Burmese national can live in Thailand legally when they can't even get a passport??  Can a foreigner seek asylum in Thailand and become a Thai citizen??  Or is it safe to think if that is possible there's no illegal Burmese aliens or Laotin Hmong refugees in Thailand in the first place...

I am sure if she manages to get a passport she certainly can get 0-visa or even changes to her citizenship to be Thai. The possible way is to get both of your brother and his gf back to Burma and ask the Thai Embasssy in Burma to register the civil marraige. Of course, the Thai Embassy will need a document from Burmese authority to certify that she's still single. Probably, the Thai embassy in Burma won't register the civil marriage for them because your brother is not a resident in Burma. Other Thai embassies usually do marriage registration only for the Thai citizen with residence in their respective foreign country. In the situation, I think it wouldn't hurt to beg the Thai Embassy there. Once they're registerred marriaged. She can apply for type 0 visa(if she has passport) or apply for Thai citizenship.

In time mean time if nothing can be done at all, I would recommend that your brother takes the child (after he or she is born) to the District Office in Thailand along with his gf to certify that the kid is his kid. As a result, the kid will be entitled to Thai citizen and the rights to inherit his estate. I guess the Thai Embassy in Burma might be able to do this.

Good luck.