Foreign Drug Dealers Are Targeting Thailand

webfact

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news! There is a simple solution to this drug problem. We can legalize all drugs and then regulate them in the same way we do other drugs such as alcohol and tobacco. By doing this, we remove the profit motive so that the smugglers, dealers, and street sellers will all have to find other forms of employment. The savings on law enforcement costs will enable proper treatment for those with drug abuse issues--with loads of money left over.

Don't believe me, though. I'm just a guy on the Internet. See what the LEAP (Law Enforcement Against Prohibition) experts have to say about it. These are former drug warriors who understand that Drug Prohibition is the cause of the problem and NOT the solution.

Dude you can't argue that! It would make everything to easy. These draconian types prefer to spend lots of money in a losing war, and prefer the criminal organizations to reap all the benefits.

We need to keep the streets safe for our kids, I mean prohibition has worked wonders so far. Right? Right?

I actually hate drugs (well class A) with a passion, but think making them illegal makes them far to dangerous and only profits the stupid, bold and violent. But this weekend just going around Bangkok, and I went to mostly industry events this weekend, I must have seen at least 3 different people sniffing something in the bathroom (its not discrete guys if there is 1 cubicle closed 3 people talking and someone taking a sniff every 20 seconds loudly) and literally found some strange pills which I am going to ahead and assume from their color and shape were not pressed in a legitimate factory. I showed them to a friend of mine who told me it was ecstasy and he took it away, I doubt he handed it over to the authorities.

I have actually often wondered, if you do find something and want to hand it into police is it safe to do that here? Or will they try and get something out of you for having it?

Drugs being smuggled into Thailand, can I be the only one here, who views that as slightly "coals to Newcastle" ? Thinking of the Golden-Triangle's fairly-recent history ? :whistling:

No. I agree. Why would anyone new have to smuggle heroin or speed into Thailand? Burma has been doing a bang up job for yonks already.

• 3 months later...

Pushers are the lowest form of life on the planet apart from pimps. But the lives they destroy are worth the death penalty. The issue is not the legality of drugs, it is the parasites who prey on the addicts sucking them dry for every penny they have as well as those they steal to pay for their addiction. Legalising drugs will only increase the addicts and the rate of crime and destruction of addicts, third parties whose homes are broken into as well as the families associated with the addicts. It is a spiraling curve so I am all for the death penalty. Take a life - you risk nothing more than your own - I say go for it.

Legalising drugs should at least be tried since everything else has apparently failed. No one can deny the impact alcohol abuse has on families but it's still sold legally. Cigarettes kills hundreds of thousands but are still sold legally. I don't know about the experiences of others on this thread, but I've never heard of a bloke smoking some reefer and then going home to beat ten shades out of his missus and kids; we've all heard of drunks doing that, though, right ? The only way someone would risk the death penalty to sell drugs in Thailand is if they knew or were assured they could operate with relative impunity. The guys on "soi Africa" and its surrounds are known to pay the police for a licence to sell around there. Those that are arrested simply . . . haven't . . . paid. That's it, plain & simple.

As for the racist arguments, for cryin' out loud, it's been done to death on Thaivisa and anyone with even a slightly open mind can see it's not necessarily a colour thing; it's a cultural thing. I'm a Brit, I'm black and, in my own personal experiences living in Bangkok these past 3 years, I've surmised that the overwhelming majority of Thais are NOT racist at all. By and large, they react to polite and presentable foreigners in the same way regardless of colour. Dress decently, speak politely and they tend to reciprocate in kind. In fact, as someone who's presentable and collegial , I've noticed their interest in me soars since I appear to be completely at odds with the negative portrayal of black people in the Thai media and on TV.

Dress like a vagabond and speak aggressively, however, then white or black . . . . well, you get the idea. Unfortunately for many Africans from Nigeria etc., their language and the way they articulate it can be interpreted as rather aggressive especially by Asians who tend to communicate with less animated hand and/or bodily movements. Cultural thing, not colour thing.

Pushers are the lowest form of life on the planet apart from pimps. But the lives they destroy are worth the death penalty. The issue is not the legality of drugs, it is the parasites who prey on the addicts sucking them dry for every penny they have as well as those they steal to pay for their addiction. Legalising drugs will only increase the addicts and the rate of crime and destruction of addicts, third parties whose homes are broken into as well as the families associated with the addicts. It is a spiraling curve so I am all for the death penalty. Take a life - you risk nothing more than your own - I say go for it.

Legalising drugs should at least be tried since everything else has apparently failed. No one can deny the impact alcohol abuse has on families but it's still sold legally. Cigarettes kills hundreds of thousands but are still sold legally. I don't know about the experiences of others on this thread, but I've never heard of a bloke smoking some reefer and then going home to beat ten shades out of his missus and kids; we've all heard of drunks doing that, though, right ? The only way someone would risk the death penalty to sell drugs in Thailand is if they knew or were assured they could operate with relative impunity. The guys on "soi Africa" and its surrounds are known to pay the police for a licence to sell around there. Those that are arrested simply . . . haven't . . . paid. That's it, plain & simple.

As for the racist arguments, for cryin' out loud, it's been done to death on Thaivisa and anyone with even a slightly open mind can see it's not necessarily a colour thing; it's a cultural thing. I'm a Brit, I'm black and, in my own personal experiences living in Bangkok these past 3 years, I've surmised that the overwhelming majority of Thais are NOT racist at all. By and large, they react to polite and presentable foreigners in the same way regardless of colour. Dress decently, speak politely and they tend to reciprocate in kind. In fact, as someone who's presentable and collegial , I've noticed their interest in me soars since I appear to be completely at odds with the negative portrayal of black people in the Thai media and on TV.

Dress like a vagabond and speak aggressively, however, then white or black . . . . well, you get the idea. Unfortunately for many Africans from Nigeria etc., their language and the way they articulate it can be interpreted as rather aggressive especially by Asians who tend to communicate with less animated hand and/or bodily movements. Cultural thing, not colour thing.

I could have said it no better.

Why do they approach me when there is a problem at my table when I am with 5 'white' men?

Why do they ask me if we enjoyed our dinner and drinks when I am with at least other 5 'white' men?

Why do they present me with the bill, when they already know black people are bottom feeders?

I was at breakfast with my estranged friend 'P', he politely asked a waiter if he could smoke, the breakfast at Marriott Huahin is outdoors, the waiter went and got him an ashtray, but again there were children around. I thought it was Ok as were seated at the edge. The morning manager came by my side and whispered to me if I could ask my mate to stub out as its against rules. P is a blue eyed Aussie, I am of the real darker shade.

Anyone telling me Thais are racists is dead wrong, they just defer to debonair personality. I have lived in Bangkok suburbs, in gated villages, most of my neighbors would wait for like 5 minutes while I park the car just to have a small talk.

As for the druggy thing, I am seriously ashamed to be anywhere around soi 3, but as someone mentioned, the African drug runners dont have 1% of the trade, here or world wide, just that they seem to love to cluster together.

I've surmised that the overwhelming majority of Thais are NOT racist at all. By and large, they react to polite and presentable foreigners in the same way regardless of colour. Dress decently, speak politely and they tend to reciprocate in kind.

AGREED! :thumbsup: