Noise

vickersvc10

My philosophy is that if you want a nice quiet life then don't live in Pattaya! But the other day I encountered that huge pick-up with very high powered speakers mounted in its cargo bay. The noise was absolutely incredible and I haven't a clue what they were advertising. Don't these people realise that excessive noise impairs hearing? Why should innocent pedestrians and other motorists (and people in houses en route) be made to suffer? Can nothing be done about this menace? Any bright ideas folks (apart from a well placed Molotov cocktail of course)?

You'll have to learn to live such 'nuisances'.....or get out of the city - not that these advertising don't exist in the sticks. Could be worse, as noise is applied. Could be Manchester, Sydney. Los Angeles, Shanghai, Tokyo, Frankfort, or Mumbai. Cities are noisy locales.

I seem to recall many many crackdowns ago there was supposed to be a decibel limit imposed on the noise from public speakers bars etc which was approaching common sense. No doubt the fearless guardians of law and order are far too busy in other pursuits to maintain the crackdown. :rolleyes:

Deafening noise yesterday evening outside Central on Beach Road advertising the motor fair inside. Bearing in mind that Central is right next door to the police station I fear that there is little hope of bringing down the decibel level anywhere in Pattaya.

I actually find it quieter here in Pattaya than up in my wife's village! Speakers blasting at 6am or so. Scooters all hours of the night. Stereos going on and off all day and night. Tractors going up and down the main drag. TVs blaring at night. Rain on metal roofs. Dozens and dozens of loud birds. Etc.

She just came back after the latest Buddha day celebration and was worn out. Hardly got any sleep...but I think card playing might have also been a factor! :whistling:

We live just off Sukhumvit. I hear those loud speakers fairly often. No fun...

AFAIK there was a case of an overdose of sound a few years ago.

It came from pick ups, advertising live-shows or new movies, driving up and down Soi Neun Pleb Waan from early morning until late.

The annoyed people went to city hall; some city hall workers investigated the complaints and for some time the trucks disappeared.

My advise: Call 1337 and complain there.

My original point was that Pattaya is excessively and unnecessarily noisy.

Pattaya is what it is. Next thing you'll be complaining about the excessive number of bargirls here.

You have the luxury to move elsewhere, but as another poster commented, Thais like loud music as do most SE Asians and in fact most younger people the world over. Right now I'm in a rural town in the Philippines and we hired a videoke machine for a week. No ones complains when we blast it into the early hours of the morning. I wonder how the OP would cope with all the roosters crowing from 4am.

Edited by tropo

Pattaya is what it is. Next thing you'll be complaining about the excessive number of bargirls here.

You have the luxury to move elsewhere, but as another poster commented, Thais like loud music as do most SE Asians and in fact most younger people the world over. Right now I'm in a rural town in the Philippines and we hired a videoke machine for a week. No ones complains when we blast it into the early hours of the morning. I wonder how the OP would cope with all the roosters crowing from 4am.

You sound proud of the fact that you blast music till the early hours . I guess that makes you as inconsiderate as the people the OP is complaining about.

You sound proud of the fact that you blast music till the early hours . I guess that makes you as inconsiderate as the people the OP is complaining about.

Actually I don't have much to do with it. I pay for the hire of the machine and let the Filipinos go for it. They know what is acceptable in their town and what is not. I'm merely a visitor observing life in another country. The next door neighbor is a cop and he comes over to sing too.

In most areas of the Philippines you'll come across karaoke machines blasting music all hours of the night. The other people enjoy listening to the music and it helps them sleep. These things only bother you if you let them.

I am proud that people who live here are tolerant about just about everything in contrast to grumpy old men (and women) from other countries who enjoy complaining about everything.

It's ot the noise from those trucks that bother me but the fact that there is usually 2 or 3 of them driving incredibly slowly along the same road bunched up together and taking up 2 lanes so that you can't pass them in the car.;

I detest the traffic noise here with a Passion! seems to bother so few other people, the buses, trucks, pick-ups, cars & motorcycles seem to be competing who can make the most noise!!!

Now it seems to be the fashion to put loud exhausts on vehicle! the noise beside any major road is way beyond any safe limits.

What are BIB doing? :rolleyes:

It's ot the noise from those trucks that bother me but the fact that there is usually 2 or 3 of them driving incredibly slowly along the same road bunched up together and taking up 2 lanes so that you can't pass them in the car.;

I detest the traffic noise here with a Passion! seems to bother so few other people, the buses, trucks, pick-ups, cars & motorcycles seem to be competing who can make the most noise!!!

Now it seems to be the fashion to put loud exhausts on vehicle! the noise beside any major road is way beyond any safe limits.

What are BIB doing? :rolleyes:

What? You're saying highway noise will cause damage to hearing? I'm sorry, but I don't believe this.

Making exhausts loud is not a Thai thing. Why do you think Harleys are so loud? People crave attention.