Do You Take Your Wife/Gf To Clubs Where Women Dance?

mark45y

Back in the early 90s I used to drive from P'lok to Kampaengphet to go to the Saturday night 'Taxi' dance at the Phet Hotel.

A Thai colleague of mine refused to believe such a thing still existed (they were popular during the 50s and 60s) - but he came along one time and was reminded of an old pleasure he'd almost forgotten.

I have only been to one in the states. There was a booth that one bought tickets from and ladies standing around the edges of the dance floor who you gave the tickets to for a dance. My understanding they were very popular during WW II.

There is a similar thing in Bangkok. Nice dressed ladies stand on stage and you buy tickets to dance with them on the dance floor below. Nothing erotic, just dancing. I went about 5 years ago. You could also buy tickets for your lady to dance with the ladies too which they both seemed to enjoy. I was the only Falang. They told me most of the ladies were in college.

That's more or less what this was.

Though having bought a strip of tickets you had to either take the next woman off the queue, or wait for the particular woman you wanted to dance with.

Most of the people at the dance came as couples, with the 'Taxi Girls' really filling in, dancing with men and women.

The one thing to note was that despite this being what was then very much a back water, the quality of the dancing was exceptional - both from the 'Taxi Girls' and the couples that came to the dance.

This was described in the book and film The Quiet American.

I guess the tastes of the Westerners in Thailand/Vietnam has changed since then.

Edited by Chunky1

There are several dance club-bars in Chiang Mai that are popular. A few have a floor show, and once people have had a few to drink, everyone dances. I've been to many of them with my various lady friends. Some women enjoy dancing and others don't. It all depends on the person. I don't have to have anything to drink if the music is good and I want to dance.

However, I'm not sure if that is the question you were asking. Are you asking about the stripper bars where the ladies shuffle around a pole like they are in a trance? Only one in 20 look like they are enjoying themselves and can truly dance. I find that rather boring and I would imagine my "date" for the evening would also. I know we went out a few times with a group of couples to one of the stripper shows. One of the couples owns a laundry and one of her customers was one of the gals who was dancing. Because I was the only single guy in our group I got all the attention.

I remember going years ago to the Issan Darling and the Sip Hok Darling on Petchaburi rd, used to buy a book of tickets for 50 baht, each girl you danced with you gave a ticket.

The mrs loved these places, sort of like a poor mans Dara Cafe.

All the above are now sadly gone, do such places still exist in Bkk these days?

Nowadays Latin dances such as tango, salsa and milonga have some following and you can find that at Elefin Cafe (Suk. soi-1), Xperience Bar and Dream Hotel.

I went to a hand fasting one time. I think that is the name. Something about when Scots could not marry without sharing the wife with the English lord of the manor.

There were a couple of hundred people there. Big bonfires and guys in kilts playing the bagpipes and everyone dancing and drinking.

It lasted all night and if I remember correctly no one was wearing many clothes towards the end. It was quite a party. Is this still a Scottish tradition?

I've no idea.

You might better ask a Scotsman.

Not a tradition round our way. Maybe in the highlands and islands.

SC

Gogo clubs were fun when I was an undergrad in university. We would drink, flirt with the girls and laugh at the old men sitting there and drooling. It is rather boring once one gets older. What do I need to sit and look at some girl gyrating on stage? Big Fing deal. By the same token, why would my g/f want to go to some gay bar to stare at a bunch of "boys" looking really stupid in their tighty whities while a bunch of creepy pervs stare and salivate? When she wanted to see real men, she knew where to go. (She liked her men manly, not effeminate as is the case in gogo boy clubs.)

Those of us that have relationships with women with an IQ in excess of 90 have no need to go. Even my gay friends don't go to gogo boy clubs because they point out that it attracts lowlifes. Surely there are better ways to spend an evening? A romantic dinner, a cruise, a walk, movie night, fantasy night where Miss Thang gets to play french maid (actually it is Thai maid and she cleans, but I digress) Besides, the last thing she wanted to bump into was some person she was treating. Makes for an embarrassing situation when you see the guy that has anal warts crumping on stage. How does one not start laughing?

The posts that you write I agree with the majority of, however all your posts are a long drawn out process where you use a lot of words to say very little.

Whether you do this to sound intelligent or maybe your previous job was a politician I do not know?.

I don't want to be unpleasant its just an observation that has annoyed me so much that I have felt the need to write this.:jap:

Uhh, why wouldn't I? It's very common to have dancers to go along with the band in Thai clubs. Why would I not go someplace like Tawandeang German Brewery?

I went to Bubbles once in Chiang Mai, I think it was Bubbles and the band had dancing girls who were quite a show. Far better than anything at the chrome pole clubs in town.

I was with an ex go go dancer. She was dancing next to our table and was a bit drunk. One of the band hauled her on stage and she put on quite a show.

There were a lot of tourists there that night from Germany and Japan. The ladies and men started throwing cash at her to strip. She did. We made over 10,000 baht. And I think one Japanese older gentleman had a heart attack as she jumped off of the stage into his lap. She was not a little girl. She had put on a bit of weight as a result of not dancing for a couple of years.

My original post was hinting at go go clubs but I think the inclusion of clubs with dancing girls and taxi dance places has added a worthwhile dimension to the topic.

Also there are some go go clubs that have good shows. I can think of three in Pattaya that, I at least, feel are appropriate for bringing your significant other. I also think the comedy shows and the aquatic ballet shows at the gay clubs are worth a look. I don’t much care for the tranny shows but the Asian people seem to like them.

Of course there is the old fuddy-duddy that will pop up with something like “if you hang around with dogs you are likely to get fleas.”

Sure some parts of town are a little bit on the dangerous side but less so if you get home before midnight and are not dead drunk.

My wife and I used to enjoy the Ceilidhs in Edinburgh, most don't have a license to serve alcohol but if you are on the Soda water that'd not be a problem.

We've only been to one Ceilidh here in Thailand, at the wedding of two Scottish friends - it was blast for the expats and visiting family, but most of the Thai guests sat out the dances - especially those tin which one changes partners - Dancing with someone you've not been formally introduced to is a problem for some.

Strip the Willow

The Eightsome Reel

The Dashing White Sergeant

and of course let's not forget The Gay Gordons

But if you want the real thing and your lass is up for it there's the Highland Schottische.

Happy memories, thanks for bringing the subject up Marky.

I went to a hand fasting one time. I think that is the name. Something about when Scots could not marry without sharing the wife with the English lord of the manor.

There were a couple of hundred people there. Big bonfires and guys in kilts playing the bagpipes and everyone dancing and drinking.

It lasted all night and if I remember correctly no one was wearing many clothes towards the end. It was quite a party. Is this still a Scottish tradition?

Unlikely. Scottish activities now consist of deep frying things, drinking, swearing, acting threatening, and blaming all their problems on the English, who reciprocate by sending them vast amounts of cash each year in order to keep their two-bob economy afloat.

You gotta love the scotch.

8>< SNIP NESTED QUOTES DELETED ><8

Unlikely. Scottish activities now consist of deep frying things, drinking, swearing, acting threatening, and blaming all their problems on the English, who reciprocate by sending them vast amounts of cash each year in order to keep their two-bob economy afloat.

You gotta love the scotch.

You'll be wanting independence next

Personally, I try to avoid spirits

SC

Apologies - I can't think of a link to get this back on topic...