Patong Foot Massage For Less Than 250 Baht?

Rsee

Seems like there is price fixing in the Patong foot massage biz, as all the streetside shops I've seen seem to charge 250 baht. Anyone know a place where you can get a decent foot massage for 200 baht or 150 baht?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It always amazes me that people want a foot massage so cheap, do you have any idea of what the costs of running a business here is and what the staff costs? Also consider that 65% of what you put on your skin is absorbed into your bloodstream and directly affects your organs, so you should be very concerned about the quality of oil they are using on your feet, which are the most absorbent part of your body.

Don't be such a cheap charlie and pay the normal price!

Are you for real? How much to you think the girls make? Do you realize 50 baht is only 1.50USD?

I do know of a place that is 200 baht but since it is 50 baht cheaper then most places I always leave a decent tip. and I like the girls there and have been going for years so I am not going to tell you where it is because I you don't tip.

Common Rsee, don't be such a miser. 250 Baht is the standard rate for low season. In fact it's consider cheap for you right? Pity the messeurs, they really work very hard to survive....and please don't forget to tip them too. I reply is not to humaliate you, but just to tell you that the rate is not expensive to tourists. Enjoy massaging!:rolleyes:

Thanks for feedback folks.

I just wanted to make sure that 250b is the going price and not an overcharge for the patpong tourists.

Im staying here for a month and may get a massage everyday, so its good to make sure it fair price.

BTW...Whats a fair tip for a decent masseuse at a streetside shop?

I just wanted to make sure that 250b is the going price and not an overcharge for the patpong tourists.

Im staying here for a month and may get a massage everyday, so its good to make sure it fair price.

100bht

btw - the girls will only get to see half what you're paying (if that)

I think it is either 40% or 60% ..cant remember.

Tip.. 100 baht but only if it is good..

50 for mediocre and if they use the stick when I tell em not to!

I think 100 Baht is a fair tip. But I don't think Rsee will tip anyway!!!!

100bht

It's funny that there's actually a bit of a similarity with massage businesses and the tuk tuk business. Both are far too numerous and both basically practice price collusion. Many argue that if there were fewer tuk tuks, it would create more competition and lower prices, and those involved would actually make more money. But when it comes to massage places (or even bars or beer bars), there is the general sense that we the farangs should just pay up and shut up because "the poor girls need to work and make money".

Truth is, that if there were some massage places that would smarten up and charge a few baht less, they just might gain more customers, more money for the employees, and ultimately weed out those that are unable to compete because they may charge too much. Free enterprise and all that...

So why is it that the girls get a break, while the tuk tuk guys take the heat? whistling.gif Hmmmm....

wai.gif

It's funny that there's actually a bit of a similarity with massage businesses and the tuk tuk business. Both are far too numerous and both basically practice price collusion. Many argue that if there were fewer tuk tuks, it would create more competition and lower prices, and those involved would actually make more money. But when it comes to massage places (or even bars or beer bars), there is the general sense that we the farangs should just pay up and shut up because "the poor girls need to work and make money".

Truth is, that if there were some massage places that would smarten up and charge a few baht less, they just might gain more customers, more money for the employees, and ultimately weed out those that are unable to compete because they may charge too much. Free enterprise and all that...

So why is it that the girls get a break, while the tuk tuk guys take the heat? whistling.gif Hmmmm....

wai.gif

Could it be because the Tuk Tukkers are so pretty?! :blink:

wai.gif

But its the level of sting.. 200 baht for an hour rubbing someones feet, or 200 baht to drive 2 mins and 300m.

Plus I have yet to see armed massage girls demanding 400 baht halfway through, beating up people that pause in their massage chair turf, pushing drugs or speaking filth to my wife either.

Price fixing is the issue here. It's fine if people are happy to pay 250 baht but if a shop wants to increase volume and compete with a 150 baht price, that should be fine. Free market. If its not and lower price shops receive outside pressure, that's bad. The tuk tuk thing, not a free market.

Okay so using the tuk tuk thing may have been a bad example. And my comments were meant to be more tongue-in-cheekish than they possibly came out.

Not trying to start a tuk tuk vs. massage girl war here. Only that we tend to give the girls who call us handsome men the benefit of the doubt when they take advantage of us, whereas others may not get that same benefit.

Personally I take being ripped off for what it is, no matter where or who it comes from. And whether tuk tuks, massages, or anything else, free market competition certainly provides for better and/or cheaper goods and services. smile.gif

Price fixing is the issue here. It's fine if people are happy to pay 250 baht but if a shop wants to increase volume and compete with a 150 baht price, that should be fine. Free market. If its not and lower price shops receive outside pressure, that's bad. The tuk tuk thing, not a free market.

Why would a shop want to charge 150 Baht for a 1 hour massage when the girls get 100 Baht, leaving just 50 for rent, power, water, and massage product.

• Like 1

Why would a shop want to charge 150 Baht for a 1 hour massage when the girls get 100 Baht, leaving just 50 for rent, power, water, and massage product.

I find that a ridiculous question. You don't know what that shop would pay the workers, you don't know whether the INCREASED VOLUME would compensate or more than compensate for the lower prices. Basic economics that for some reason is repressed in Thailand, lower prices, larger volume, in some cases, higher profits. Aren't most of these massage workers IDLE most of the time? Potentially even their working hours could be shortened if they were actually engaged in actual work during their entire shift.

Edited by Jingthing

And whether tuk tuks, massages, or anything else, free market competition certainly provides for better and/or cheaper goods and services. smile.gif
Many examples worldwide where the free market competition has led to a sub standard service and higher prices.

For a foot massage the girls get 100b (£2) for 1h. would you work for 100b per h .

What an absurd question. There appears to be a huge glut of people trained and willing to do massages in Thailand and businesses are having no problem staffing up at whatever they are paying, which is of course a private matter between them and their workers.

One thing I would be curious to know about is what percentage of time are massage workers actually massaging? Like a national statistic. For example, if nationally they are only actually working (rather than waiting) only 25 percent of the time, what an awful waste of human resources. Yes, I American, and that is a kind of American question to ask. My point is if they are only working 25 percent of the time, wouldn't it better for them and the nation if they cut the workforce down and the others were retrained in skills there was actually that much demand for?

Edited by Jingthing

There is not a glut of people trained to do massages its very hard to get good staff. If you told the girls she would get less than 100b per massage she would tell you to shove it

For a foot massage the girls get 100b (£2) for 1h. would you work for 100b per h .

What an absurd question. There appears to be a huge glut of people trained and willing to do massages in Thailand and businesses are having no problem staffing up at whatever they are paying, which is of course a private matter between them and their workers.

There is not a glut of people trained to do massages its very hard to get good staff. If you told the girls she would get less than 100b per massage she would tell you to shove it

I simply don't believe this. There is clearly a HUGE GLUT of idle massage labor in Thailand. Anyone can see that.

Many times I have gone to traditional Thai massage places with 20 workers sitting around, no customers in sight, and the worker telling me I am the first customer they have had in days.

Edited by Jingthing

Trust me you go out and try to get a few girls to work. Easy to get ex bar girls but you try to get a trained girl that is not looking for a BF

Do you run a legit massage shop involved in the hiring? If not, why should I trust you rather than my own experience of seeing so many massage workers in Thailand sitting around and waiting?