Am I In Trouble?

Hawkup2000

In early 2008 I begun to study Thai in a language school (one of the dear sponsors of this site). It started with that I gave one of the girls Toblerones becasue she looked so sad. A few days later she called me and asked me out for a dinner. No harm done, I went. It was very causal. She resigned. We continued to meet for two years, but never any physical contact. After one year we hadn't even held hands. I never paid anything and she paid everything, Sirocco, China trips etc (I know..spare your khee nok farang comments). In one of those "bring-a-friend-to-meet-the-scary-farang dates" her friend reviled that her family is "semi rich" with shares in sizzlers. Time passed by, we finished our connection . A few days ago I got links that she got busted for fraudulent behavior. Apparently she embezzled money from her new company's forex trading business. The thing is that she used to send money to my bank account (Thai). At the time "I give you money for RCA"; "I give you money for enjoy Kho Chang" sounded pretty sweet.

Can the money sent to my account get me in trouble?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be blunt, some stories I read about Thailand involving farangs are so ridiculous that I guess you can't make them up. :unsure:

She sent you money in your bank account and it didn't ring any bells. :unsure:

Of course it can get you in trouble, it's like you holding a bag while your girlfriend steals money.

I know. I feel somewhat stupid now, but she always "seemed" good for it. When a girl turn up in a nice car etc you kind believe her. S**t what can happen? It was fairly small amounts ("like10.000 baht this 10.000 baht that"). I'm one of those that always had appropriate visa, never overstay and never do anything illegal etc and still this happens:(.

I would have to say ,yes!

Your story is hard one to believe, But to believe it ,she was using you to bank her stolen money, thus making you an accomplice to her embezzlement. The police should follow the money trail.

Cheers::)

Edited by kikoman

After a two year relationship you still had not held hands, but she has your banking details, that's a greater degree of intimacy than I would feel comfortable with.

I guess for some people 10.000 Baht is a small amount of money, but I do not know any Thai girls who hand out money to falangs, perhaps you could introduce me to her sister.

What are you not telling us.

The willy smarts of these Thai birds never fails to amaze me...assuming this story is true. A young girl getting an older farang to unknowingly become an accomplice in a scheme to steal funds from an employer is really smart thinking. She can even blame him for thinking up the idea in the first place...that's why the money went to his account.

I wonder if silly foreigners in paradise will ever learn...NOT!

I doubt she gave him a high percentage of what he stole, so he has an arguement against being the kingpin in this. He can stick to his story of a farang being helped by a wealthy Thai friend (or event hint at them being lovers or in love - prude? - and this money just gifts). If her family is somewhat wealthy, its not too hard a story to believe. If he spengt the money and didn't acumulate it and thren withdraw a lump sum or transfer it out, then it looks less likely too.

I would suggest you need to see a good lawyer for advise (though walk away from any offering deals for cash as this shows guilt and is an almost sure way of spotting a bent lawyer cop con!) - he may suggest you make an afradavit (dual language - sign only the one you an read) which can be submitted to the police/court if needs be. Better sooner than later.

An important factor will be from which account the money was send to OP's bank account. It would be needing a lot more explaining if the money came directly from the company than if it comes from her own bank account.

Or direct from one of those machines where you only have to enter the account number and put the money. Those are pretty much anonymous.

The only thing I ask is why would you ask a bunch of strangers this important question? Unless of course, it was some sort of troll to get everyone worked into a lather here. The locals here DO seem to get upset at other people's adventures. Ask a lawyer if you are worried. We can't know all the details and you couldn't post them without putting yourself in a compromising position if the story is true.

I don't believe the story.

She was sending money to some guy who was like some kind of girlfriend to her.

He was allowed to spend it.

What was the advantage to her? If she was taking the risk of stealing it, why would she give it away?

OP is either is having a troll, or he hasn't provided enough info to make her actions plausible.

Yes it was very naive but some how I was thinking "if my money don't leave my wallet I won't get scammed". In total she gave around 40.000 baht and in around 8 deposits. She wasn't "my girlfriend" more of a platonic "go to dinner/cinema" friend but she was probably hoping for the relationship to grow, but she was never pushy. We met like once or twice a month.

Ian. I'm asking here because I don't know who to ask otherwise.I will talk to a lawyer today.

canuckamuck

Troll? I wish I was but I'm a quite serious member on TV. I been to many TV pissups so at least some members here know I'm for real.

She didn't get any advantages by giving me some money, but then again she often gave me small gifts like (t shirts, cookies, concert tickets etc) so I just thought she was a "rich" girl with a big heart. I may be stupid but I'm not a troll.

The reason she had my bank account details is that once a late night I was robbed by 3 guys (that street in Silom were the Mango tree restaurant is located). They forced me to go to the ATM and withdraw a lot of money. Later I called her and she followed me to the police station to make a report. Later she asked if I had any money left. I said no. She offered to loan me some until I got my salary. So I gave her the account number.

Edited by Hawkup2000

Still don't think you have a problem. It could be money borrowed from you re payed, English lessons or just a gift to help you out. OK they might say you laundered money but we must know how much she has fiddled, your wee hand out could be pennies to the bigger picture. Were the 8 deposits in a short space of time or well spaced out. She might have bought stuff with the dodgy cash but it doesn't mean the shops involved will face BiB action.

Mostly agree with this however as Mario has already said it really depends which account this money was transferred from. If its from her account no worries.

If I were you I would put the 40,000Baht back into the account. You could claim that while you used the money, you felt suspicious about it so you made sure the money was replaced in case it came back and bit you in the a**se. Though I am inclined to ask was that the total value of the gifts received or just the money gifts.

If this story is true, were you the only guy she was giving money to? how many more farang's did she know? It seems like a small amount for 2 years worth of embezzlement?

A strange story, If I was the OP I wouldn't worry too much about it - unless there is more to this story than has been written here. Still strange that a girl would just deposit money into someones account for no reason though.

If that is the case, why do you advice him that he should make up stories about fake services? Why shouldn't he just inform the police that the money she sent him might have come from her paycheck and not her embezzlement?

JEEZE!. 2 years she had you on salary and giving you gifts and you never had sex with her? You are like the worst gigolo EVAH!

Sounds like the BEST gigolo to me. ;)

Agreed. Drop dead gorgeous women do not go around giving away money. Since the OP hasn't mentioned, I'd assume that she's not particularly attractive. So getting paid without having to sleep with said woman is somewhat of a feat!

Fair enough 40K is not a lot of money, but it's not 300 baht. I think it's enough to be traced and questioned. Because they could suspect the OP got more money in another account, for example. I see no reason at this point to think the OP is lying or trolling, but the number of bank transfer is going to be seen with suspicion.

Perhaps one day your home will be robbed and your possessions will be redistributed to people who did not know that they were stolen. Perhaps then my point will be a bit clearer.

Do you pay tax?

So instead of returning the stolen money that he received as a gift to the victim, you believe that he should instead lie and claim that it was payment for a service that he did not provide? :whistling:

How did he know it was stolen, why should he know it was stolen, and who says the money wasn't forwarded from a pay cheque from the company to the lady, and who says it wasn't payment for English lessons, come on, use your loaf a bit. I know your a hi-so mixer as you have told us before but just try and come down a notch and mingle a bit.

Just wondering why would he have to return the money. If money was spend in a shop he would not have had to return it. He never did anything wrong and did not suspect that there was anything wrong. Its different if he had known this right away. Now he is an innocent party in this and it would be unfair to ask for money that has been spend already.