Am I In Trouble?

Hawkup2000

Perhaps one day your home will be robbed and your possessions will be redistributed to people who did not know that they were stolen. Perhaps then my point will be a bit clearer.

If the guys who took the stuff knew it was stolen yes.. then it should be returned.. if they bought it but did not know or could not know it was stolen (think not a ridiculous low price) then they can keep it. That is the law in my country and i think in many other civilized countries.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to agree with transam and yabaaa on this.

1. At the time how could the OP have known the source of funds was fraudulent. Thus what crime was committed? Saying that a woman giving a man money is "unusual" is nothing but hearsay and holds absolutely no value in court.

To the OP, I wouldn't worry about this if I were you

Good news for me. After a check with the bank I feel more relaxed. Apparently she had been using her moms account when she transferred money to my account. I'm really puzzled about that but that must somehow put me in the clear. :)

I have no idea how much money she embezzled. The company only states that any client who had done business via her should call the office to confirm that the money is still in the company, if not so, then client encouraged to call the police. Makes me wonder; maybe she had "fixed herself some extra cash" when she were working at the Thai language school, after all she was the one who dealt with the fees. But, it's not my problem. I shall stay far far and further away from her from now on.

After seeing all the "troll" accusations I feel that I shouldn't have made this thread but I couldn't get this problem out of my head last night and got in a bit panic state. Why would I troll from an account were many "know" me? For instance, I'm quite sure that I have pictures of mrtoad from TV's new years party 2008/09 at Larry's :D.

Again,thank you all for your suggestions.

Edited by Hawkup2000

After seeing all the "troll" accusations I feel that I shouldn't have made this thread but I couldn't get this problem out of my head last night and got in a bit panic state. Why would I troll from an account were many "know" me? For instance, I'm quite sure that I have pictures of mrtoad from TV's new years party 2008/09 at Larry's:D.

Again,thank you all for your suggestions.

Hey, I didn't call you a troll!!

I think to be honest, as I earlier stated, unless there was anything you had failed to add to the story then really nothing you should be worried about. Some of the advice about making a report ot the police ans such should be no concern to you, as you have done nothing wrong. Go and relax.

mrtoad, I didn't say that you did. I just mentioned you as a reference that I meet some TV members and some know me so I wouldn't troll you guys:). Yes I will go and relax. I haven't been eating and sleeping so good. I tend to wind myself up over things like this.

mrtoad, I didn't say that you did. I just mentioned you as a reference that I meet some TV members and some know me so I wouldn't troll you guys:). Yes I will go and relax. I haven't been eating and sleeping so good. I tend to wind myself up over things like this.

No problems, well try not to worry about this one - really nothing you need to feel guilty about.

I remember the TV do at the end of 2008 - seems a long time ago now though.

Don't get stressed over me saying it might be a troll, you should know if you have been here a while that all bizarre stories should be considered as potential fairy tales or at least highly embellished. You might have reacted the same.

Since you aren't milking this story and you didn't just post and run, I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Perhaps one day your home will be robbed and your possessions will be redistributed to people who did not know that they were stolen. Perhaps then my point will be a bit clearer.

If the guys who took the stuff knew it was stolen yes.. then it should be returned.. if they bought it but did not know or could not know it was stolen (think not a ridiculous low price) then they can keep it. That is the law in my country and i think in many other civilized countries.

So if I steal 100,000 out of your bank account and give it to my girl friend as a gift and she does not know it is stolen, in your opinion, she owes you nothing? :whistling:

So if I steal 100,000 out of your bank account and give it to my girl friend as a gift and she does not know it is stolen, in your opinion, she owes you nothing? :whistling:

You owe me then if you are caught. Just look up the word bona fide. However i doubt your gf would be bona fida if you give her 100.000 because that would be out of the ordinary. If however you were giving your GF 100.000 every month then this is not unusual and it is bona fide.

I suggest you read some law books

good faith

n. honest intent to act without taking an unfair advantage over another person or to fulfill a promise to act, even when some legal technicality is not fulfilled. The term is applied to all kinds of transactions.

Sec. 2335. Examples Of Negotiable Instruments - Money

Money possesses the quality of negotiability to the highest degree.1 Even if money is stolen it can not be recovered from one who has taken it for value in good faith,2 even if it is taken in payment of a preexisting debt.3 While it is sometimes said that this is because it is impracticable to distinguish one piece of money from another, it was seen long ago that this was not the true reason, but that this result was reached from the fact that money was eminently negotiable.4 In like manner, money which is improperly converted and is paid in satisfaction of a prior debt to one who takes without notice, is not impressed with a trust.5

3 Murphy v. Improvement Co., 97 Fed. 723.

4 Chandler v. Smith, 147 Ga. 637, 95 S. E. 223.

5 Pond Creek Coal Co. v. Rilev Lester & Bros., 171 Ky. 811, 1S8 S. W. 907.

6 First National Bank v. Greenlee. 102 Neb. 180, L. R. A. 1918D, 224, 160 N. W. 539.

7 Warren v. Scott. 32 la. 22.

1 Connecticut. Bristol v. Warner, 19 Conn. 7.

Illinois. Archer v. Claflin, 31 111. 306

Massachusetts. Dean v. Carruth, 108 Mass 242.

Montana. Clarke v. Marlow, 20 Mont. 249, 50 Pac. 713

South Carolina. Hubbell v. Fogartie, 3 Rich. L. (S. Car.) 413, 45 Am. Dec. 775.

2 Famous Shoe Co. v. Crosswhite, 124 Mo. 34, 46 Am. St. Rep. 424, 26 L. R. A. 568, 27 S. W. 397.

3Garrigus v. Missionary Society, 3 Ind. App. 91, 50 Am. St. Rep. 262, 28 N. E. 1009 (a note "to advance the cause of missions and to induce others to contribute").

4 Baxter v. Brandenburg, 137 Minn. 259, 103 N. W. 516.

1 England. Miller v. Race, 1 Burr. 452.

Arkansas. Oklahoma State Bank v. Rank, 120 Ark. 869, 179 S. W. 509.

Iowa. Smith v. Crawford County State Bank, 99 Ia. 282, 61 N. W. 378, 68 N. W. 690.

Kansas. Kimmel v. Bean, 68 Kan. 598, 104 Am. St Rep. 415, 64 L. R. A. 785, 75 Pac. 1118; Benjamin v. Welda State Bank, 98 Kan. 361, L. R. A. 1917A, 704, 158 Pac. 65.

Louisiana. First National Bank v. Gilbert, 123 La. 845, 25 L. R. A. (N.S.) 831, 40 So. 593.

How do you reply to that Chunky or are you going to ignore it like all those other times you were wrong ?

Edited by robblok

How do you reply to that Chunky or are you going to ignore it like all those other times you were wrong ?

I looked under a few of the rocks around here and I couldn't find Chunky1....guess he must be preparing his well thought of reply!

Here is my cynical & hyperthetical view of the situation.

A quote from the OP, Hawkup2000:

The thing is that she used to send money to my bank account (Thai).

Knowns:

1] 2 people, 1 male & the other female, have known each other for about 2 years.

2] These 2 people do not have an intimate relationship.

3] They met each other at a language school.

4] The male initially approached the female.

5] It was revealed to the male that the female purportedly had a semi-rich family (shares in Sizzlers).

6] After an unknown time, the male indicated that "we finished our connection".

Unknowns:

1] The sexual preferences of either party.

2] If either party wishes to have intimate relations with the other, with a view to a deeper, longer relationship.

3] The ages of both parties.

4] If the female was really 'busted' for fraud.

5] Why the male gave his bank account details to the female.

6] The depth & content of the private conversations had between either party.

Possible conversation No. 1;

Female: I want to send you money. How can I do that?

Male: Easy! Just send it to my bank account.

Female: What are your details?

Male: My details are....

Possible conversation No. 2;

Female: I want to send you money. How can I do that?

Male: Why do you want to send me money?

Female: Because I like you.

Male: How much do you want to send?

Female: I'm not sure.

Male: Do you want me to pay you back?

Female: No.

Male: <thinking about all the scams happening in the world & trying to avoid giving his bank account details> I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Female: Don't you trust me?

Male: Yes but if you want to give me money, you can use cash. I really don't want to divulge my bank account details...sorry.

BTW...chunky, you are still a complete & utter dimwit of the highest order. You & thomo will make great mates.

I explained why she have my account number and that I did choose just to be friends with her (not so cute girl ;) ). I simply wasn't attracted to her also felt that I didn't want to complicate things. There are so many beautiful girls around so one have to be picky :) .

Edited by Hawkup2000

Of course she doesn't, if you are found out it's your problem to repay. If you buy a car with stolen money, it's not the garage that has a problem, it's the stealer. Man, you have some serious head problems.

Except that he didn't provide any service. I guess that is why you advised him to lie and say that he gave her English lessons. Right?

If someone claimed to own 2 LCD TVs TransAm would accuse them of being HiSo.

I explained why she have my account number and that I did choose just to be friends with her (not so cute girl ;) ). I simply wasn't attracted to her also felt that I didn't want to complicate things. There are so many beautiful girls around so one have to be picky :) .

In case I missed it, where did you explain this?

Of course she doesn't, if you are found out it's your problem to repay. If you buy a car with stolen money, it's not the garage that has a problem, it's the stealer. Man, you have some serious head problems.

Except that he didn't provide any service. I guess that is why you advised him to lie and say that he gave her English lessons. Right?

If someone claimed to own 2 LCD TVs TransAm would accuse them of being HiSo.

Amazing how you PICK and TWIST stuff to try and give yourself credibility. Back off cos you look ridiculous to all. :rolleyes: .

AMEN. To that.:clap2:

Not in Australia. If it is stolen and you buy it it will be returned to the rightful owner should someone claim it as theirs subsequently. You will need to take civil action to recover your funds from the person you bought it from.

At first it felt like I was a cat toying with a ball of yarn but I now I feel like a lion pawing at a dead lifeless chimpanzee... but do feel free to keep following me around the forum taking out whatever angst you have accumulated over the day, I know living here is tough on you guys. :D

Edited by Chunky1

In case I missed it, where did you explain this?

In post #18.

Anyway, I feel there is just a lot of arguing in this thread right now so I leave. Again, thank you all who helped :jap:.

At first it felt like I was a cat toying with a ball of yarn but I now I feel like a lion pawing at a dead lifeless chimpanzee... but do feel free to keep following me around the forum taking out whatever angst you have accumulated over the day, I know living here is tough on you guys. :D

If this is an invitation to 'take the piss out of you on any occasion', I request that moderators take note & therefore allow all pisstakes regarding chunky. :lol:

Edited: spelling mistake.

Edited by elkangorito

If this is an invitation to 'take the piss out of you on any accasion', I request that moderators take note & therefore allow all pisstakes regarding chunky. :lol:

:jap:

Not in Australia. If it is stolen and you buy it it will be returned to the rightful owner should someone claim it as theirs subsequently. You will need to take civil action to recover your funds from the person you bought it from.

UK too. Many a person has accidentally bought a stolen car (fake papers etc) or one still under HP - it is property of the owner, the person that sold you the stolen property is also guilty of fraud for selling it under false pretences and liable for a law suet from the purchaser, but the owners gets his goods back. That is, unless it is cash money, as money is a value and the physical notes are meaningless - they all belong to the state in fact, just the state owes you that monetary value (in gold). Unless of course they are collectors notes/coins and have specific value.

The reason she had my bank account details is that once a late night I was robbed by 3 guys (that street in Silom were the Mango tree restaurant is located). They forced me to go to the ATM and withdraw a lot of money. Later I called her and she followed me to the police station to make a report. Later she asked if I had any money left. I said no. She offered to loan me some until I got my salary. So I gave her the account number.

Ok. You may have unwisely reacted due to an extreme situation.

Nonetheless, this whole thing makes for a great story. I'm sure that novels have been written about such initial happenings.

That is a fair enough explanation. I don't know why everyone wants to beat up on the OP. I have lots of lady friends who I don't sleep with. They are just fun to be with for other reasons. And, it's quite possible to have two separate bank accounts for different purposes. Not being a lawyer, I don't know how the authorities could tap into an account of a third party without a LOT of documented evidence that the third party was involved in an illegal scheme.

UK too. Many a person has accidentally bought a stolen car (fake papers etc) or one still under HP - it is property of the owner, the person that sold you the stolen property is also guilty of fraud for selling it under false pretences and liable for a law suet from the purchaser, but the owners gets his goods back. That is, unless it is cash money, as money is a value and the physical notes are meaningless - they all belong to the state in fact, just the state owes you that monetary value (in gold). Unless of course they are collectors notes/coins and have specific value.

Strange i would think that American law and English law are the same. Also Dutch law states that you dont get your stuff back if the person buying it bought it in good faith. (not sure about a car because its a registered good) Im talking about stuff like video recorders or whatever. Also the money stuff i posted should be the same in the UK. I could be wrong but mostly the law is similar all over the world.

Now that i think about it more i think that the reason is that a car is a registered good and the goods i mentioned are not. Then its all about possession that is why someone in good faith does not have to return those. A car can't come into someone else his possession without the right papers.

Someone with more knowledge as me might correct me but i think im right i had normal law next to tax law when i studied for accountant.

Edited by robblok

I don't follow you around you just turn up where i am. Just look at my post nr's. But its more that we play with you because you stay stupid things but act like your smart. Maybe yo cant help it. But your analogy is a bit of as you are the one who is constantly put on his place and shows that you have sawdust where there should be brains.

Ill try to ignore you a bit but, you seemed to respond to a post of mine.. not me responding to you.

Strange i would think that American law and English law are the same. Also Dutch law states that you dont get your stuff back if the person buying it bought it in good faith. (not sure about a car because its a registered good) Im talking about stuff like video recorders or whatever. Also the money stuff i posted should be the same in the UK. I could be wrong but mostly the law is similar all over the world.

Now that i think about it more i think that the reason is that a car is a registered good and the goods i mentioned are not. Then its all about possession that is why someone in good faith does not have to return those. A car can't come into someone else his possession without the right papers.

Someone with more knowledge as me might correct me but i think im right i had normal law next to tax law when i studied for accountant.

None of this sounds right at all. I have never heard that someone purchasing stolen goods gets to keep the goods if they bought them in good faith. A quick search online turned up this page, Consumer Affairs regarding stolen goods, which states the rightful owner gets the goods back or compensation.