Thais Sitting On, Hanging Around, Playing With, Modifying Your Motorbike.

thomo

Did they break anything? If not, so what.

You're getting worked up over nothing. Clearly, this wouldn't happen in the west. But we're not in the west. Enjoy the LOS. Life is short, it seems dumb to waste it on "getting angry" over little things. Unless you derive pleasure from that?!

When I was a regular guest at the Holiday Inn CM I always parked my ER-6n in the special spot, a half parking space otherwise going unused. Didn't want it out behind the dumpsters where they want motorcycles parked. Imagine how angry security got at this rules infringement! Not. They're Thai, they're not German, and they don't mind in the least. Likewise, when they were playing around with my shiny new bike (5 km at the clock), I smiled at them and exchanged some thumbs-ups. If they damage the bike, I'll hold them responsible. If they don't - and of course they don't - why should I care? Let them have their fun, boring enough to be a security guard.

Come to think of it with all the attention my bike was probably the most secure vehicle in the entire parking lot...

Live and let live ;)

So you'll hold them responsible if they damage your bike? Good luck with that! :rolleyes:

And remember, not all of us ride ER6n's that only cost a few hundred Baht to repair. ;)

You don,t need anyone pissing about with a Ducati for parts to fall off.They can do that all by themselves.;)

Spud you must know poeple who have junker Ducati's. eg: bad preventative maintenance by useless owners. Mind you, that can be applied to a bunch of numbty's that I know that shouldn't not be let loose with tools on a motorcycle and are too lame-brained to carry oyt basic checks.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just came back started the bike, thought the gearbox felt clunky, got the the next lights and could feel the engine pulling against the clutch.. Plus my front brake was all soggy.. Ohh of course, someone had decided to adjust my adjustable levers..

I will admit.. It annoys me.. Not the value aspect as much as the basic idea you dont fuc_k about with stuff thats not yours.

A few years ago back in the home country I stopped on a ride to get a couple of sandwiches at a shop which I intended to eat at a local park. After purchasing the sandwiches I made my way back to my bike where I found a guy in his earlier 30ies standing next to my bike and he was holding onto his snotty nosed little brat who was sitting on the riders seat and slapping the tank with his grubby little hands. The bike was one of my pride and joys and was gleaming in all its beauty with this filthy little child on its back.

I approached and clearly annoyed said, <deleted> do you think you are doing? The guy replied, "My boy wants to sit on your bike" I said, "I don't care, get him off." I then had several words with this douchebag about what he was doing and during that conversation I established that the car parked nearby was his, it looked like a nice car, so I thought to myself, why the heck not. I walked up to his car, got into the drivers seat and commenced to eat my lunch. I made sure I got those sandwich crumbs everywhere and even managed to spill a bit of my flavoured milk. During the entire time the douchebag stood at the door whining about me and constantly requesting that I get out. A couple of times he threatened to kick over my bike & I clearly pointed out to him that wouldnt be a good option for him.

Anyway, when i finished my lunch, i deposited the rubbish on the floor of his car, wiped my hands on the roof lining and got out and onto my bike. He took my rego number & said he was going to the cops & I just smiled. Never heard anything. Fekkin goose. :lol:

I was always taught to respect other peoples property and believe one shouldnt touch unless envited, so I understand where the OP's at.

I had to read it twice...so funny!!Thx 4 sharing!

I think that guy got the point!hahahaha

I've been here 4 years and not once have I ever had a problem with that. There are the truly stupid, who will park behind your bike blocking you in, then lock their steering so you have to ddrag their bike out of your way, but that's the only problem I've ever had.

Those steering locks are stupid and wasteful anyway. They make it difficult for anyone who legitimately needs to move someone else's bike, like if you are being blocked in by it, but they are little or no discouragement to bike thieves. Most thieves just throw the bike into the back of a pickup truck.

Besides, I really do not care if some parent wants to let his small child sit on my bike. It's just a cheap putt-around anyway.

I've been here 4 years and not once have I ever had a problem with that.

Besides, I really do not care if some parent wants to let his small child sit on my bike. It's just a cheap putt-around anyway.

Thats probably why it attracts no attention..

I've been here 4 years and not once have I ever had a problem with that. There are the truly stupid, who will park behind your bike blocking you in, then lock their steering so you have to ddrag their bike out of your way, but that's the only problem I've ever had.

Those steering locks are stupid and wasteful anyway. They make it difficult for anyone who legitimately needs to move someone else's bike, like if you are being blocked in by it, but they are little or no discouragement to bike thieves. Most thieves just throw the bike into the back of a pickup truck.

Bobr I always keep a buff cloth in my jacket and hel_l if I can let my 2 year old daughter sit and sticky finger my fuel tank (under supervision of course-don't want her falling off and braining herself). I don't worry to much with others, but as long as they ask first. Just common courtesy which strangely does abound in Thailand. Though some people may beg to differ on my statement.

It's just a cheap putt-around anyway

I couldn't agree with you more. I have an 8 year old Honda Sonic which I bought new. My rather expensive Ducati is another matter and I watch it like a hawk when I'm out and about.

Oh, now I get it why the Chiang Mai Kawasaki dealer has all these signs on their bikes. Don't sit on it / don't touch it...

The last week, I had unknown Thais open the refrigerator and help themselves to ice cold Coke Zero.

Today I caught an offender. No friend, not even an aquaintant in the wider sense...

There seems to be a prevailing attitude that this is perfectly okay

But then, I watched mothers watch their kids systematically destroying some fragile art work, throwing stones at it.

That was in Europe...

In public places, like a post office, strangers often grab your personal items (stuff to seal a parcel, pens, ...) and wander off with them.

I've had strangerrs walk up and fondle a big bike with me on it!

Chris

Oh, now I get it why the Chiang Mai Kawasaki dealer has all these signs on their bikes. Don't sit on it / don't touch it...

The last week, I had unknown Thais open the refrigerator and help themselves to ice cold Coke Zero.

Today I caught an offender. No friend, not even an aquaintant in the wider sense...

There seems to be a prevailing attitude that this is perfectly okay

But then, I watched mothers watch their kids systematically destroying some fragile art work, throwing stones at it.

That was in Europe...

In public places, like a post office, strangers often grab your personal items (stuff to seal a parcel, pens, ...) and wander off with them.

I've had strangerrs walk up and fondle a big bike with me on it!

Chris

Come one Chris, 'fess up, you were wanting the fondling, you were the big bloke uh... bike :lol:

Edited by Garry

That can be annoying as heck. On one of my last bikes I had a pumper carb and that is for sure not fun when someone is playing with the throtle. Just wont start as the whole cylinder is flodded with gas.

First try some stickers written in Thai. Dont touch, Dont sit. One small on tank and one on each mirror should do. I ve got a Xena with 120 DB and they for sure leave it alone. Depending on where you put it on the disk you ll be able to make it go off earlier in some positions when moving the bike.

A couple that will annoy the fokk out of these guys on your bike, here you go:

Go to a shop polstering car seats. Get him to make you a cover for your seat. then set it in with lots of chain spray and leave it on when bike is parked. MAke sure it is a fabric that keeps fluid from going through and down to your own seat and so it will keep the back side dry when you fold it and store it when going back and forth to your work. He will only sit on your bike once.

Or get a sensor installed in your seat that controls a spray noozle located somewhere around the speedo in the direction of rider position. Use a battery driven odor freshener for toilets available in typical homemarts and which will normally spray out some good smell when indications of movements.

Disconnect the optical sensor and connect it to a push/press/weight sensor you install in your seat. Make a kill switch that breaks the whole circuit located somewhere on your bike that only you know about. This circuit is battery driven so easy to install. Then fill the fluid container with the nastiest fart/shit liquid smell you can buy on small bottles in some toy stores or something else nasty smelling stuff. Other than the guy being a katoi and it is a great chance that he'll only be sitting on it once.

That can be annoying as heck. On one of my last bikes I had a pumper carb and that is for sure not fun when someone is playing with the throtle. Just wont start as the whole cylinder is flodded with gas.

First try some stickers written in Thai. Dont touch, Dont sit. One small on tank and one on each mirror should do. I ve got a Xena with 120 DB and they for sure leave it alone. Depending on where you put it on the disk you ll be able to make it go off earlier in some positions when moving the bike.

A couple that will annoy the fokk out of these guys on your bike, here you go:

Go to a shop polstering car seats. Get him to make you a cover for your seat. then set it in with lots of chain spray and leave it on when bike is parked. MAke sure it is a fabric that keeps fluid from going through and down to your own seat and so it will keep the back side dry when you fold it and store it when going back and forth to your work. He will only sit on your bike once.

Or get a sensor installed in your seat that controls a spray noozle located somewhere around the speedo in the direction of rider position. Use a battery driven odor freshener for toilets available in typical homemarts and which will normally spray out some good smell when indications of movements.

Disconnect the optical sensor and connect it to a push/press/weight sensor you install in your seat. Make a kill switch that breaks the whole circuit located somewhere on your bike that only you know about. This circuit is battery driven so easy to install. Then fill the fluid container with the nastiest fart/shit liquid smell you can buy on small bottles in some toy stores or something else nasty smelling stuff. Other than the guy being a katoi and it is a great chance that he'll only be sitting on it once.

Why not just shoot em with a machine gun,sounds easier.:huh:

Well we did have a problem with the local dogs knocking over out rubbish bin outside. Until my Dad, a sparky, connect the house mains to the top of it. One night at midnight the whole house cuts out, to the sounds of a dog yelping away. Didn't happen again.

So yeah, maybe my 100,000 volt battery idea would have been better than squealing like a little girl to the manageress.

Had this problem alot over the years Ive been here... Every 'big' bike I've had seems to be a magnet for fookwits.. I've returned from shopping to find moto-taxi types sitting on my Ducati or notice the kill switch has been flipped or the whole bke moved.. It's really bloody annoying. Just resting against it is enough to scratch the paint.. I have clear plastic scratch guards on the sides of the tank but they don't protect it all. I find hand marks on the tank and scuff marks on the seat cover where some short ar5e Thai has swung his leg over it.. They either don't know how much the bike cost or don't care.. If they drop it they will just run off.. I have insurance but that isn't the issue.. Like another poster has said, you don't touch other peoples property.. If back in the UK I found somebody sitting on my bike uninvited they would get some very loud verbal abuse at the least and posibly a good hiding if they weren't apologetic. But in 30 yrs of riding/owning bikes I've never seen in happen in the UK. People knowto look, appreciate and not to touch.. I used to think that poor/less fortunate people would treat something expensive with respect or at least be cautious of it.. But not here.. Wonder how one of the rich HiSo Thais would feel to return to their Lambo convertible to find a farang sitting at the wheel making car noises ?

'Oh sorry dude, thought it was okay as Thais always sit on my bike' If it wasn't for the usual ganged up Thai response I'd be alot more vocal and physical in my response when finding one of the apes on my bike but you have to be careful here and farangs have been beaten close to death for far less.. However I had to front up to three moto guys outside of Central last year after finding one sitting on my my bike off the sidestand.. his legs were barely long enough to hold it upright and he could easily have lost control when trying to get the stand down again.. I came very close to walloping him with my helmet but they were pretty shamefaced when I caught them.. Don't know how it would have ended if they had be rude or beligerent.. (Don't need any warnings I know the risks.. but sometimes you have to stand up for yourself)

Like has been said.. Having anything 'nice; here can be a real pain.. dunno how the Merc and Ferrari owning Thais get on.. But seems that wealthy Thais are feared and 'weathy' farangs only to be taken advantage of.. Normal Thais seem to suffer too.. Cos my girlfriend was very upset after the new car she saved to buy was scratched by some careless <deleted> in the Foodland carpark.. TiT it's a developing country and a % of the population have a lot of developing to do...

• Like 1

We should also be less ignorant of the cultural differences. Especially with reference to the lower classes which seem to be the main 'offenders' of this crime. Motorsai taxi drivers, security, and those of similar socioeconomic ilks, they seem to be the largest touchy/sitters. Remember that they mostly come from poverty, where personal possessions are minimal, and entombed in a communal culture where almost everything is communally shared and not seen as a personal possession that others are barred from even touching.

Perhaps we should be more open, perhaps learn from their culture of communal sharing.

We should also be less ignorant of the cultural differences. Especially with reference to the lower classes which seem to be the main 'offenders' of this crime. Motorsai taxi drivers, security, and those of similar socioeconomic ilks, they seem to be the largest touchy/sitters. Remember that they mostly come from poverty, where personal possessions are minimal, and entombed in a communal culture where almost everything is communally shared and not seen as a personal possession that others are barred from even touching.

Perhaps we should be more open, perhaps learn from their culture of communal sharing.

I,d give anyone a bag of sugar anytime,but it,s a different ball game when their crawling all over my bike.

My nice new scratch. Thank you security.

As of today (at work) I have a nice big, deep, 3 inch scratch into my gas tank, the only scratch on the bike.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the security.

Gotta pop out now, will take a few pics and put em up.

Edited by thomo

My nice new scratch. Thank you security.

As of today (at work) I have a nice big, deep, 3 inch scratch into my gas tank, the only scratch on the bike.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the security.

Gotta pop out now, will take a few pics and put em up.

I take it that the following sentiment ...

... is now null and void. ;)

Edited by RusticCharm

Yes. :)

Nice bit of key work here.

med_gallery_30440_1343_69244.jpg

med_gallery_30440_1343_144700.jpg

Not easy to photograph scratches, especially in the sun. Main one is about 3 inches long, and is through the gloss finish, lair of paint, and into the white undercoat?

About 3 other ones on the top of the tank just going into the gloss.

However I did lie about it being the only scratch. There is one more, done by the Royal Thai Police as they were trying to steal it. Didn't have a license with me at a stop. They said they were taking the bike, and to pick it up tomorrow with a license. Okay, give me the ticket or receipt... No. Pick it up tomorrow.

Give me your names... No...

No ticket, no names, pick it up tomorrow.

I have to admit that I did fail the attitude test, and as they clamped it they happened to lightly brush the fairing. :rolleyes:

med_gallery_30440_1343_363247.jpg

She's only a little CBR but I am quite fond of her, treat her like a lady, and make sure she gets a good oiling before she's even due. And do take a bit of pride in being seen with her.

med_gallery_30440_1319_61540.jpg

And it does hurt to have her scared for life by a bunch of lowly Thais who couldn't handle being told to stop playing with her.

Btw Mods, I can't change the title of the thread - Can it be changed to 'Thai Security scratch bike' with the subheading 'as were told to stop playing with it.'

It might get more reads and others might learn to approach a similar situation differently. Or at least be made away of how these people deal with losing face.

Edited by thomo

How ironic !

How's that?

You do realize my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I was talking about:

Don't you? :huh:

Edited by thomo

.........Perhaps we should be more open, perhaps learn from their culture of communal sharing.

Put down the crack pipe thomo. Share the papaya salad sure, share the Tom Yum Gung sure, all those basic things..but intimate sharing my bike...like hel_l. I didn't work long and hard overseas in the Middle East for some dick to come along for a community share. He'll be sharing alright, my size 11 Oxtars planted firmly in the jewels.

Just follow them home one day, but give it a week so they don't connect it to your incident, find out where they live and do some property damage, or if they have no property and live in some room that is in-accessible, then wait outside and give them a hit on the back of the head with a metal pipe or something.

Edited by lennya12threh

Just follow them home one day,

I think they all sleep in a small room next to the toilets.

Put down the crack pipe thomo. Share the papaya salad sure, share the Tom Yum Gung sure, all those basic things..but intimate sharing my bike...like hel_l.

For the second time... It was a joke!

Edited by thomo

Just follow them home one day,

I think they all sleep in a small room next to the toilets.

Put down the crack pipe thomo. Share the papaya salad sure, share the Tom Yum Gung sure, all those basic things..but intimate sharing my bike...like hel_l.

For the second time... It was a joke!

Okay thomo, all is forgiven. I read back and missed that post..doesn't mean you get to ride the Ducati :lol: :jap: :ph34r:

you were jesting about the communual sharing

Ah yes, forgot about that.

So back to the topic. What can I do... guess I lose, and the lowly Thais win and I just have to accept it, and be reminded of it everytime I get on my bike. Kunts will probably be laughing every time they see me drive in and out of work.

Can't say that I'm too happy a camper at the moment.

Edited by thomo

you were jesting about the communual sharing

Ah yes, forgot about that.

So back to the topic. What can I do... guess I lose, and the lowly Thais win and I just have to accept it, and be reminded of it everytime I get on my bike. Kunts will probably be laughing every time they see me drive in and out of work.

Can't say that I'm too happy a camper at the moment.

thomo had similar problems in the Middle East with arab brats wanting to maul my Yamaha XVS1100A Dragstar. I ended up buying myself a light cotton single sheet, cut out the appropriate holes for mirrors and foot pegs, tied the corners together below the front and rear wheels, problem solved. The cotton was no problem putting onto hot chrome. I had the sheet folded up (was very compact) with me and it only took 30 seconds to put it on. Stop the fookers in their tracks when they saw me covering the bike up.

Go to the manager and tell him the security most likely just keyed my bike. How old are they? They seem like pre-teens or something? Then also, tell the manager that if it gets attacked again it was probably the security that did it.

BTW Where do you work?

The manager must be able to do something.. The security plays with and vandalizes the property it's supposed to be protecting?

When I told my wife about it (Thai) she was startled and said they should have got a smack on the head the first time they were seen sitting on the bike..