Conned On Laptop Ram

Kanine

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, but I have recently purchased a new laptop online via a reputable manufacturer and found that my RAM specs does not fit the description.

My purchase was for 2 X 2GB at 1333Mhz but I check the hardware performance via CPU-Z and found the RAM speed to be 667Mhz!!!

Any suggestions on what steps I should take?

If you bought it less than 7 days ago, simply return if for your money back.

More than 7 days ago, but less than 30 days, you can probably exchange the RAM for the desired one.

More than a month ago and you might be screwed.

Now, to properly answer if you ram is indeed "667Mhz" a lot more details are required (specs of core components, screenshots of CPU-Z, etc etc).

CPU-Z is good, but sometimes interpeting what it's saying can cause confusion. I assume that you have DDR3. What is labeled as DDR3-1333 is actually 1333 MT/s (not Mhz). So while the RAM itself runs at 667 (got to love those superstitious people avoiding the real speed), it's transmiting data on the rising and falling edges of the clock wave and thus has 1333 MegaTransfers a second.....

The funny thing is that the actual memory clock for DDR3-1333 MT/s is only 166 Mhz (bus clock is 4x that for 667 Mhz). If your chips say PC-10600 on them (the peak MB/s) you can rest assured you have the real deal chips. Also JEDEC has not released any specifications for a bus of 1333 Mhz, so the most that CPU-Z will report is for crazy expensive DDR3-2133 (1066 Mhz).