If You'Re Listening To Music Now... Whats Playing? 4

Jockstar

Irelands greatest ever export, more popular in my house than Guiness.

He was on fire, on stage ,I know I'll never grow old so long as there's Rory to listen to,

Here's one I've loved since back in the early 70s when I spent some time in Connemara

• Like 1

The most melodic of the morlam styles- morlam plern

Absolutely the best entertainment in Thailand but now not nearly as common with troupes being disbanded due to rising costs and falling revenue. Most youngsters even up country would rather watch a group of gormless Korean boys poncing about the stage singing pop.

Edited by jacky54
  • Like 1

Somjit Bortong still has his tour troupe. Gulap Deang one of the most famous and popular morlam songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJgn2fZbn2g

I had some cassettes of some excellent morlam songs by Somjit from about 15 years ago but they're not on youtube. The same with Chalermpon Malakham, Oh well, it's all free so we mustn't look a gift horse in the mouth!

Hats off to one of the greatest Welsh bands,Man, Micky Jones always at the forefront.

I went to see these boys at the Usher Hall - I can't remember if it was the same year as I went to see Mirriam. Happy days, back in the cultural capital of the world

Mind, if we're talking miles, then I've always thought of this as more of a homecoming song

Although if we're talking fire, that takes us back to the first song - unless we're talking Chariots Offiah

And if we're going to post that, we have to post a bit of Johnny Wilkinson...

That is the mark of the greatest of sportsmen, complimenting Owen Farrell on his selection for the British Lions. It really makes you proud to be British

SC

• Like 1

The most melodic of the morlam styles- morlam plern

Absolutely the best entertainment in Thailand but now not nearly as common with troupes being disbanded due to rising costs and falling revenue. Most youngsters even up country would rather watch a group of gormless Korean boys poncing about the stage singing pop.

Harks back to a bygone era, a golden age, reminds me of the Issan Darling and other such places that now sadly no longer exist.

Love the bit about kids upcountry, most of them from what I remember would rather get drunk at a Carabao concert and cause trouble with other motorcyle gangs.

I went to see these boys at the Usher Hall - I can't remember if it was the same year as I went to see Mirriam. Happy days, back in the cultural capital of the world

Mind, if we're talking miles, then I've always thought of this as more of a homecoming song

Although if we're talking fire, that takes us back to the first song - unless we're talking Chariots Offiah

And if we're going to post that, we have to post a bit of Johnny Wilkinson...

That is the mark of the greatest of sportsmen, complimenting Owen Farrell on his selection for the British Lions. It really makes you proud to be British

SC

Good gawd behave yerself man will you, almost made me spit my coffee out all over the keyboard.

Albert Tatlock, what can I say.

I remember watching that crap at my grans house on a old black and white telly years ago.

Little did I know that years later I would be married to a Thai who watches the same crap in glorious technicolour.

Poor old Uncle Albert, Ken was always such a dissapointment to him.

While we're playing our parents' records, I used to play this one, from time to time, in the Mandela Centre - freedom for Afrika!

SC

SC, I was lucky enough to spend my early years in Nigeria, before and after independence. Wonderful memories,The sister of my closest friend had a farm in Zimbabwe with her husband- forced to leave some years ago. One can argue about the politics in Africa forever.

Still, here's a great song ...