Thai Police Arrest Two Britons For Murder And Child Sexual Abuse

webfact

It would be good if justice in Thailand could be halfway trusted. Guilty or not, I wouldn't trust the Thai courts with a traffic ticket, let alone cases such as these.

Thai courts have nothing to do with this, what they are doing is extraditing these guys back to the countries that have issued the warrants. Now if you would have said you don't trust English and Cambodian courts it would make sense.

In the case of Mr. Fletcher there was no warrant issued by the Cambodian or UK authorities as far as I am aware.

He has been arrested by the Thais after a request from the British Embassy because he did not inform Thai Immigration of previous convictions.

Mr. Fletcher lived in Phnom Penh also, not Pattaya.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the case of Mr. Fletcher there was no warrant issued by the Cambodian or UK authorities as far as I am aware.

He has been arrested by the Thais after a request from the British Embassy because he did not inform Thai Immigration of previous convictions.

Mr. Fletcher lived in Phnom Penh also, not Pattaya.

Is there a requirement to inform the Immigration of convictions???????????

Thailand is not the USA or Australia.

If people can be arrested on the whim of the British Embassy, that is pretty bad.

Maybe if farang police and farang immigrations back in farangland were doing their jobs these miscreants wouldn't be free and allowed to leave their countries to travel to Thailand where the Thai police end up cleaning up for the inept farang authorities.

I can assure you that the authorities in the U.S. are far too busy hassling innocent travelers like myself to allow time and effort for real police work. Free pass for criminals and terrorists as the authorities are spending an hour with me and others like me each time we are herded through their uncivilized, nasty gauntlet.

P.S. Thanks to the Dutch guy (Jasper Schuringa) who saved the day in Detroit on Christmas Day 2009. Thanks to the street vendor who saved the day in New York's Times Square on May 1st, 2010. Thanks, but no thanks, to the massive bureaucracy of inept, wanna-be police who make travel a nightmare as they pretend security.

The reason being that Mr. Fletcher has been arrested and is to be deported by Thai authorities for a crime allegedly committed in Cambodia at the request of the British authorities.

He has committed no crime on Thai soil nor has he any outstanding warrants for his arrest. Committing a crime in the UK and being convicted does not prohibit travel to Thailand either.

Indeed, it is not Thai law to have to announce to Immigration previous convictions, despite the comments stating so previously.

He is being held at the dentetion IMMIGRATION center for entering Thailand and not mentioning about his previous sex charge which is a crime in THAILAND>

He is wanted and will be extridited back to Cambodia to face charges

Is there a requirement to inform the Immigration of convictions???????????

Thailand is not the USA or Australia.

If people can be arrested on the whim of the British Embassy, that is pretty bad.

When requesting an extension to my Retirement Visa I submit  verified details of my UK income to supplement the monies that reside in a Thai bank of my choice - not that I have a great choice, they're all inefficient bloodsucking parasites . The Honorary Consul based in Pattaya provides me with a letter (for an inflated price) which confirms my income and adds that the BKK Consulate has no records or knowledge of  any information to the detriment of myself.  I suggest that this system could be used to trap felons.

However, all convictions in the UK after a period of ten years are discounted.  AFAIK they are not deleted from the National Crime computer system, but they may not be normally used against anybody. Thus 10 years and one day after being sentenced a person can claim to have led a blameless life. 

Thailand is not the USA or Australia? You can say that again. 

If Taksin had been apprehended by the UK authorities on the whim of the Thai Embassy, would that have been a bad thing too? Would somebody here have jumped in and posted that one of the UK Police Forces has had to clean up the mess (one of countless thousands) created by the RTP? 

I note that the case of the unfortunate English girl murdered in a Chiang Mai guesthouse has been re-opened.  Has what two Scotland Yard detectives sent to assist the local Plod at the time had to say about the efficiency of the RTP been forgotten?   

how can just a small island in the north sea produce so many beauties ?

I assume you mean those Brits that have made so may discoveries and inventions and shared them with the rest of the World? Those that have discouraged and fought against fasism and religious zealots at great cost to themselves? Those that have given the World a common language and been at the forefront of civilising  the World? Those that have defined and refined democracy and morality - not to mention good taste. 

• 1 month later...
The first case is involved with a British national, Stuart Scott Crawford, most wanted as the subject of an arrest warrant for murdering Michael Ryan in Surrey.

The duo met in Thailand's resort of Pattaya in 2008 and when they were back to England, Crawford moved to stay in Mr Ryan's flat in Surrey. Three weeks later, in a quarrel which became violent, Mr Crawford hit Mr Ryan with a hard object, leading to his death.

The accused also used a debit card of the victim to transfer money worth 6,500 pounds (about Bt325,000) into his bank account and fled to Thailand.

Thai police investigators in cooperation with the Immigration Bureau found that the accused arrived in Thailand on September 6, 2008 and stayed in Pattaya for about two years concealing his name and address while his Thai wife conducted transactions such as renting a house and a car for him.

He used the Internet to contact his relatives in England and investigators traced and arrested him at an apartment in Chon Buri.

Get ready to wave bye-bye:

Briton Stuart Scott Crawford arrives at the criminal court in Bangkok September 30, 2010. The court ruled on Thursday to extradite Crawford, who is wanted in Britain on charges of murder and child sex offences. He has been a fugitive in the country for the past two years.

REUTERS

Edited by metisdead
Copyrighted Reuters photo removed.

3013911601.jpg

Briton to be sent back home to face charges

The Ratchadapisek Criminal Court yesterday approved London's request to extradite Briton, Stuart Scott Crawford, so he can be prosecuted for murder, fraud, and theft on British soil.

The request stated that Crawford allegedly killed a friend in an argument, which stemmed from the friend's discovery of Crawford's fraudulent financial documents. The two had been sharing accommodations in Surrey.

Later, Crawford allegedly stole 6,500 pounds (Bt311,863) from the victim's bank account before fleeing to Thailand on September 5, 2008. Since he was on Britain's most-wanted list, he was arrested in August.

The court said Crawford would be sent back to Britain in 90 days, though not during the next 30 days, so he can lodge an appeal.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-01

Edited by Buchholz

30a04crawford415.jpg

Suspect: Stuart Scott Crawford in a cell at court in Bangkok today

Murder suspect Stuart Scott Crawford to be flown back from Thailand

A man wanted in connection with the murder of his landlord is to be extradited from Thailand to Britain to face charges. Police want to question Stuart Scott Crawford, 44, over the death of Michael Ryan. The 67-year-old's body was found at the pair's home in Sutton on September 10, 2008, but it is thought he had been dead for a number of days. The corpse had been rolled in a carpet and pushed under a bookcase. A post-mortem examination found Mr Ryan died after a heavy blow to the head from a blunt instrument.

Crawford left Britain after the murder. It is alleged he withdrew £6,500 from Mr Ryan's bank account before doing so. Police in Thailand said he had been in the country for almost two years. He was arrested at an apartment in the resort of Pattaya.

Continues:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23883678-murder-suspect-stuart-scott-crawford-to-be-flown-back-from-thailand.do

London Evening Standard - September 30, 2010

victimp.jpg

Victim Michael Ryan

Sutton murder suspect to be extradited from Thailand

A lodger wanted by police for the 2008 murder of his landlord will be extradited from Thailand. Mr Crawford appeared at a court in Bangkok today to be told he would be sent back to Britain within 90 days. Unemployed Stuart Crawford fled the country after the killing of 67-year-old Michael Ryan at his Sutton flat. The retired heating and ventilating engineer was found dead at his Devonshire Road flat on September 10. His decaying body, which was discovered wrapped in carpet and pinned beneath a bookcase, is thought to have been left for at least a fortnight.

He had been beaten to death and police began searching for 44-year-old Mr Crawford, who shared his flat with Mr Ryan after befriending him seven weeks before while on holiday. Mr Crawford has been laying low in Thailand since the body of Mr Ryan was discovered and was caught by the Royal Thai Police after an international arrest warrant was issued.

Continues:

http://www.suttonguardian.co.uk/news/8425234.Murder_suspect_to_be_extradited_from_Thailand/

Sutton Guardian (UK) - September 30, 2010

• 3 months later...

30a04crawford415.jpg

Suspect: Stuart Scott Crawford in a cell at court in Bangkok today

Murder suspect Stuart Scott Crawford to be flown back from Thailand

A man wanted in connection with the murder of his landlord is to be extradited from Thailand to Britain to face charges. Police want to question Stuart Scott Crawford, 44, over the death of Michael Ryan. The 67-year-old's body was found at the pair's home in Sutton on September 10, 2008, but it is thought he had been dead for a number of days. The corpse had been rolled in a carpet and pushed under a bookcase. A post-mortem examination found Mr Ryan died after a heavy blow to the head from a blunt instrument.

Crawford left Britain after the murder. It is alleged he withdrew £6,500 from Mr Ryan's bank account before doing so. Police in Thailand said he had been in the country for almost two years. He was arrested at an apartment in the resort of Pattaya.

Continues:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23883678-murder-suspect-stuart-scott-crawford-to-be-flown-back-from-thailand.do

London Evening Standard - September 30, 2010

Murder suspect Stuart Crawford extradited from Thailand

A lodger who fled the UK days after his landlord was beaten to death has been extradited back to the UK. Stuart Crawford, 44, left for Thailand just days after his friend, Michael Ryan, was bludgeoned to death in the flat they shared in Sutton. Mr Crawford was arrested by Royal Thai police in the resort of Pattaya in August after an international arrest warrant was issued. He has been held in prison by the Thai authorities while awaiting extradition back to stand trial in the UK.

He was flown into Heathrow airport accompanied by Scotland Yard Extradition Unit officers. He is due appear in magistrates court to face a murder charge. Mr Ryan, a retired heating and ventilating engineer, was found dead at his Devonshire Road flat on September 10.

His body, was discovered wrapped in carpet and pinned beneath a bookcase.

http://www.suttonguardian.co.uk/news/8796901.BREAKING_NEWS__Sutton_murder_suspect_extradited_from_Thailand/

Sutton Guardian - January 18, 2011

I don't know why the British Police don't just spend the summer in Pattaya, they will pick half up of Britain's most wanted and bag a bucket load of paedophiles while their there.

good point, you should send a letter to scotland yard

No need,they are already there!

I heard on the tv last year back in England there were going to be undercover british cops in thailand and Cambodia,im guessing thats why there are so many brits being pulled up now.

I don't know why the British Police don't just spend the summer in Pattaya, they will pick half up of Britain's most wanted and bag a bucket load of paedophiles while their there.

good point, you should send a letter to scotland yard

No need,they are already there!

I heard on the tv last year back in England there were going to be undercover british cops in thailand and Cambodia,im guessing thats why there are so many brits being pulled up now.

The Australian Federal Police have had people on the ground here for years. You will even notice if you get on a flight to Australia there will be Federal Police there checking at the boarding area. I fly every month and they are always there to check passports and dodgy looking characters before they get on the plane.

Man accused of murdering London landlord

A British man arrested in Thailand has been charged with murdering his landlord in south London in 2008.

Stuart Crawford, 44, of no fixed address, is due before Sutton magistrates on Wednesday accused of killing Michael Ryan.

Mr Ryan, 67, had been dead for several days when his body was found rolled in a carpet and pinned under a bookcase at his home in Sutton.

Tests showed he had died from a blow to the head.

Mr Crawford was arrested in the resort of Pattaya, Thailand, in August after an extradition warrant was issued.

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2011-01-18

I assume you mean those Brits that have made so may discoveries and inventions and shared them with the rest of the World? Those that have discouraged and fought against fasism and religious zealots at great cost to themselves? Those that have given the World a common language and been at the forefront of civilising the World? Those that have defined and refined democracy and morality - not to mention good taste.

We were British, way way before any Sitting Bull-Geronimo. They were Americans, Not the ones that say we are the greatest.........................I would say, most of the bad-or unwanted-average out equally among all nationalities. We Brits arn't perfect-the same as the brit Bashers.

Both Britons are set to be extradited and Thai police said they were in discussions with the Japanese embassy over the Ogushi case.

It would be good if justice in Thailand could be halfway trusted. Guilty or not, I wouldn't trust the Thai courts with a traffic ticket, let alone cases such as these.

The Thai police are arresting Brits at the request of the British Embassy and they are to be extradited to UK. What is the point of the Thai bashing comment about Thai courts?

Maybe if farang police and farang immigrations back in farangland were doing their jobs these miscreants wouldn't be free and allowed to leave their countries to travel to Thailand where the Thai police end up cleaning up for the inept farang authorities.

How fortunate Farangland is that Thai criminals cannot just escape justice and travel abroad, as many have no passport or won t get a tourist visa. So all the YABA gangsters, molesters, traffic accident escapists, murderers, thieves, fraudsters and other lawbreakers - all have to face justice at home. I don t doubt they would make across the borders if they could ! And on the other hand we know many well suited, rich criminal Thais who have successful hit abroad on the run from Thai justice, some members would start the list with Mr T , but he is not a good comparison, as being too far outfetched !

In Farangland, actually some Thais end up in front of court for criminal behaviour or fraud, just don t think that the Thai expat community living in Farangland is free of sin !

While I am 100% in favor of ridding Thailand of trash, they should start by cleaning their on yard first. There are plenty more local criminals and crooked police than there are falang.

I think I get your point and while I'd certainly agree with the idea of Thais taking a look at themselves and their own shortcomings and resultant social issues (and the very obvious point that there more local criminals than foreign -- which is of course going to be statistically the case anywhere), I wonder if your notion really stands up -- all other things being equal: wouldn't foreign criminals be even MORE intolerable than locals to most people? I mean even someone who isn't particularly nationalistic (or, at all, like myself) would find it quite offensive that foreign lowlifes decided to use their country as a haven and would see kicking them out and/or locking them up as unconditionally a good thing. (The attitude being -- 'We've got enough of our own scumbags. The last thing we want is other countries' scumbags too.') And when local authorities are told by the foriegn auhorities where certain foriegn lowlifes are, why wouldn't or shouldn't they respond with alacrity?

Does your native country have plenty of criminals? (Mine does.) Presumably it does; wWhat possible objection could you have if your country's police were to be told where they could pick up some Thai murderer or child rapist in your country and they did so? And if a Thai were to say that rather than do that, they should arrest the local crooks, then get to the Thai -- what would you say to that?

Now, if its the case that foreign guys who are guilty of some minor crime in the west are actively pursued instead of some Thai murderer or rapist or whatever...obviously that would be wrong from any perspective -- but even if that's the case (which I rather doubt), I don't think that these cases indicate that is so.

Besides, they are busting people in Thailand -- that is their yard.

EDITED FOR TYPOS

Edited by SteeleJoe

Be here legitimately, or not at all I say.

What exactly does that mean? One must have a B or O visa to be here legitimately? If so, I guess I'm here legitmately but as long as it's legal to do get repeated tourist visas, I don't see why I have any more inherent right to be here than the ones who maintain a visa by going on legal visa runs and I've never understood the righteous indignation of those who object strongly.

Smacks of elitism to me: especially as rather often the guy who's objecting was sent here by his company or recruited from abroad and walked into a relatively easy situation, but then somehow thinks he's superior to some guy who made his way over here on his own, decides he wants to stay, and manages to make it even though he want to and/or doesn't need need to be a teacher/ can't get a corporate job here/doesn't have the means or ability to start a business/isn't married to a Thai/ isn't old enough to retire. What's it to you, as long as he's not breaking any laws or doing any harm to Thailand (or you)? Is the money he spends in the local economy less worthy than yours (just because it may be less)? Are the relationships he builds here less valuable?

Plenty of the visa run types are people I'd just as soon not have here. But plenty of the "legitmate" types are as bad or worse (surely you've seen some hard-drinking, whore chasing guy -- nothing wrong with that er se -- who also is shitty to the locals and generally behaves like a cretin - he should be here but some some decent guy who does visa runs and behaves in more admirable way shouldn't be allowed -- just because the former has a B or O visa?).

Edited by SteeleJoe

I assume you mean those Brits that have made so may discoveries and inventions and shared them with the rest of the World? Those that have discouraged and fought against fasism and religious zealots at great cost to themselves? Those that have given the World a common language and been at the forefront of civilising the World? Those that have defined and refined democracy and morality - not to mention good taste.

We were British, way way before any Sitting Bull-Geronimo. They were Americans, Not the ones that say we are the greatest.........................I would say, most of the bad-or unwanted-average out equally among all nationalities. We Brits arn't perfect-the same as the brit Bashers.

Bagwan forgot to mention the Brits tthat raped many nations. B)

Bagwan forgot to mention the Brits tthat raped many nations. B)

I suppose Panama, Afghanistan and Iraq are just east-west 'love-ins' are they? Go America (& desperate-for-defence UK) ! Yay!

Edited by hanuman1

• 8 months later...
The first case is involved with a British national, Stuart Scott Crawford, most wanted as the subject of an arrest warrant for murdering Michael Ryan in Surrey.

The duo met in Thailand's resort of Pattaya in 2008 and when they were back to England, Crawford moved to stay in Mr Ryan's flat in Surrey. Three weeks later, in a quarrel which became violent, Mr Crawford hit Mr Ryan with a hard object, leading to his death.

The accused also used a debit card of the victim to transfer money worth 6,500 pounds (about Bt325,000) into his bank account and fled to Thailand.

Thai police investigators in cooperation with the Immigration Bureau found that the accused arrived in Thailand on September 6, 2008 and stayed in Pattaya for about two years concealing his name and address while his Thai wife conducted transactions such as renting a house and a car for him.

He used the Internet to contact his relatives in England and investigators traced and arrested him at an apartment in Chon Buri.

Get ready to wave bye-bye:

Briton Stuart Scott Crawford arrives at the criminal court in Bangkok September 30, 2010. The court ruled on Thursday to extradite Crawford, who is wanted in Britain on charges of murder and child sex offences. He has been a fugitive in the country for the past two years.

REUTERS

Ex-wife of Stuart Crawford tells of his violent past

The ex-wife of Stuart Crawford appeared at the Old Bailey today to tell the jury he had a history of violence. The final prosecution witness was brought forward after the defendant last week claimed to have "never hurt anyone" in his murder trial last week. Stuart Crawford denies murdering his friend and landlord Michael Ryan in Sutton in September 2008, before stealing £6,500 from his bank account and flying to Thailand.

Michelle Neil, who was married to Mr Crawford for five years between 2003 and 2007, said that Mr Crawford had 'flipped' in the past. Mrs Neil, who has a daughter with Mr Crawford, told the jury how her ex-husband had attacked her in 2001. In tears Mrs Neil said: "He came at me and pushed me to the floor, he was on top of me with his hands on my shoulders and neck." The Old Bailey heard how during another fight in 2005, Crawford had threatened to kill her.

She said: "I just thought this was it, I wasn't going to get away this time. He had his hands around my neck and he was saying he was going to kill me. He came up the stairs in a crazed kind of way." In summing up, prosecutor Phil Bennetts, said that Crawford's account of events leading up to and after Michael Ryan's death was all lies. Mr Bennetts said the defendant must have thought the ladies and gentlemen of the jury "were stupid", if he expected them to believe his version of events.

Continues:

http://www.suttonguardian.co.uk/news/9284905.Ex_wife_of_lodger_accused_of_murder_tells_of_his_violent_past/

Sutton Guardian - Oct. 3, 2011

Edited by metisdead
Copyrighted Reuters photo removed.

While I am 100% in favor of ridding Thailand of trash, they should start by cleaning their on yard first. There are plenty more local criminals and crooked police than there are falang.

Oh, silly me, the locals don't have the money to bribe their way out and the police would lose face if they were themselves arrested.

This place is and always will be a joke when it comes to legal issues.

Ever seen a cop arresting himself? jap.gif