Need Help My Computer Freezes After 4 Hours

livinthailandos

I"ll give everyone as much detail as I can. Keep in mind that this computer has:

Windows 7 Home did not buy fake copy

Microsoft Office did not buy fake copy

4GB Ram

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

1 TB Hard Drive

Gigabyte motherboard

Avast Professional

My problem started just last month. before never had any problems, have not installed any new programs just windows updates, daily virus scans. For 7 months no problems. For the first 4 hours no problems then for some reason computer comes to a complete freeze its impossible to close programs, start task manager or shutdown. I've run spyware scans, virus scans nothing comes up. lost for ideas. I thought maybe hardware problems but it shouldn't take 4 hours for the problem to happen if it was hardware related although I could be wrong. any ideas would be welcome

Sometimes issues like this can be due to thermal problems. You should check the fan, air filter and heat sink to see if they are clogged up. This is especially an issue with laptops.

I had the exact same issue as this, with everything hanging after some usage - the only way I could reset was a hard shutdown. When I removed the case (took some effort to remove exhaust to get at the fan) I found a nice clump of fluff was blocking the air vent and causing the processor to overheat. In my case it was a laptop, but since cleaning not one issue.

Start looking at the hardware:

Check fans are running and the heat sink is not blocked.

If you have two memory chips remove one of them at a time and test.

Then try removing cards one at a time, start with the graphics card if you have one, and you have an alternative.

There is also a free utility called SpeedFan you can download it from FileHippo.com, it is really for testing HDD cache and temp but it also reports temperatures from any sensors that it finds and you can see any temp rises in a graph.

If all this fails, then it could be a faulty chip on the motherboard, I once had a new IBM PC server that had the same symptoms, it took about 1 year and 12 visits from IBM engineers before they found the fault, they changed everything, the last part they changed was the motherboard, after they changed that it was fine.

Paul D

You can try going to Microsoft answers forum and search on how to fix your problem. If there is no such similar problem or answers, start a topic on your problem and I am sure you will get some good solutions posting in that forum. Microsoft technician may also provide you the answers to solve your problem. Good Luck and hope you get the correct solution to your problem.

I doubt that the gold contacts on the RAM are at fault. Dirty RAM nearly always prevents the computer booting up. I think it is far more likely that the fan isn't cooling the processor because of dirt/lint build up. How long since you opened the case and gave it a good clean up and a blow out?

Had same type of problem towards end of last year. Computer had been running great for year and then started to freeze and could only boot after power off and removing one of RAM modules it would boot. Could then power down and re-install second RAM module and it would run great till next time it would freeze. It would also freeze with only one RAM module installed and it didn't matter which one.

The fix was making a change in BIOS setting. My ASUS motherboard Jumper Free Configuration under the Advance Menu had something called Ai overclocking and this was set to Auto. This allowed the BIOS to automatically optimize the system for max performance (overclocked). I changed this setting from Auto to Standard and the freeze problem has not happened since. The Standard setting reads the CPU and then sets everything accordingly (not overclocked).

You might check BIOS for Ai overclocking setting if it has one.

First, ensure you have good air flow...fan inlet/outlet not dirty...ensure the fan is running properly.

Second, if the air flow seems OK, I would focus on the RAM chips...ensure they are seated firmly/clean contacts

Third, check/lower the RAM chips timings in the BIOS

Knock on wood but over the years I've had several RAM chips/modules that would freeze up the computer after several hours. Good luck.

Almost certainly an overheating problem. Did you say what brand computer? Some are more prone to overheating, and Sony Vaio is one.

I've had the prpoblem and I have friends who have encountered it also; try cleaning the lint out of the filter/fan assembly.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I doubt that the gold contacts on the RAM are at fault. Dirty RAM nearly always prevents the computer booting up. I think it is far more likely that the fan isn't cooling the processor because of dirt/lint build up. How long since you opened the case and gave it a good clean up and a blow out?

Dirty RAM contacts could be the fault if the second has some dirty contacts or if the module has a minor fault. Basically the first module is handling the system fine but over a period of time memory requirements grow until the faulty circuit is located. Remove the second module and run the system, if not fault then replace the first module with the second and the fault should occur rather more rapidly.

Very little information has been supplied from the OP about the fault and the conditions of use, components, age of system and computer location & case specifications.

* Does this occur in Safe Mode? Helps to eliminate driver software faults

* What programs are open at the time? Conflict possibility

* What programs have been used during the session? Software not releasing resources correctly

* Is the room hot, air con, night, day, direct sunlight etc ? Heat or airflow problem

* Is it always exactly 4 hours or does the timing vary? Maybe a scheduled program or virus

It does not appear that the OP would be the best person to explore the system fully and would be best seeking the expertise of a competent tech.

Almost certainly an overheating problem. Did you say what brand computer? Some are more prone to overheating, and Sony Vaio is one.

I've had the prpoblem and I have friends who have encountered it also; try cleaning the lint out of the filter/fan assembly.

By the specs this is a desktop unit and not a notebook. 1Tb Hard Disk with a Gigabyte mainboard are not available in notebooks. Sorry but poor imformation supplied by OP therefore we are forced to make guesses.

I would guess at overheating, blow a fan onto the front of the machine and see if that makes a difference.

Leave one stick of memory and the graphics card (if you have one) and then unplug everything else from the motherboard - harddrives, dvd drives,any other pci cards,usb drives/sticks and then boot into bios, wait and see if the same problem occurs, if not replace items one at a time and check.

Please don't recommend "safe mode".

You don't have any anti virus/malware protection in safe mode.... Safe mode should be renamed "unsafe mode".

And I'd recommend to take a backup of whatever is on the disk before you do anything else.... the computer is obviously screwed and the data is not safe.

Martin

Start looking at the hardware:

Check fans are running and the heat sink is not blocked.

If you have two memory chips remove one of them at a time and test.

Then try removing cards one at a time, start with the graphics card if you have one, and you have an alternative.

There is also a free utility called SpeedFan you can download it from FileHippo.com, it is really for testing HDD cache and temp but it also reports temperatures from any sensors that it finds and you can see any temp rises in a graph.

If all this fails, then it could be a faulty chip on the motherboard, I once had a new IBM PC server that had the same symptoms, it took about 1 year and 12 visits from IBM engineers before they found the fault, they changed everything, the last part they changed was the motherboard, after they changed that it was fine.

Paul D

..what are the optimum temperatures/fan speeds for a PC..my readings from "SpeedFan" are - Fan1 1058rpm, Fan2 1180rpm, GPU 57c, Temp1 46c, Temp2 -128c, Temp3 42c, Core0 55c and Core1 57c..your comment appreciated. (My PC is an 'HP Pavilion' 2years old...thanks in advance.

Please don't recommend "safe mode".

You don't have any anti virus/malware protection in safe mode.... Safe mode should be renamed "unsafe mode".

And I'd recommend to take a backup of whatever is on the disk before you do anything else.... the computer is obviously screwed and the data is not safe.

Martin

Fully disagree with your statement. The majority of Virus and Spam require Services which are not implimented in Safe Mode.

Also could you maybe name one (1) Virus Family which causes a system, which has NO other reported faults, to freeze after such a lengthy period.

Please do not discount a valid and widely accepted diagnostic tool based on lack of knowledge.

If you read the post you would have noticed the question marks. This indicates some of the areas the OP failed to provide information about and a guide as to further investigation.

Edited by Eureka

FREEWARE utilities the OP may find useful to help troubleshoot PC problems... I highly recommend these.

Hardware Monitoring:

Note - When monitoring temperatures, be sure to cross-check software readings to those found in the BIOS.

Memory Diagnostic tools: