My Final Long Weekend Living In Thailand

Longbow212

Been living and working in Bkk a while now but soon I will be leaving. I have seen most major places the country has to offer, the places I enjoyed the most include Chiang Mai, Koh Chang, Koh Samed, quiet corners of Koh Phangan and Ayuthaya. I really hated touristy places such as samui, phuket where the locals only seem interested in ripping you off.

Because this is the last long weekend living in Thailand I really want to make it memorable.Two places I am considering are Krabi and Pai. Never been to either but both sound and look great. I have also been told there are quiet and beautiful locations places on the coast of Trang and chumphon that are worth going to but never been there or know much about the precise locations.

If you know of somewhere that you would recommend I would really like to hear about it. I can speak Thai at a sufficient level to not require somewhere with English speakers. If you know of somewhere but want to keep it hidden from the streams of tourists then feel free to email me.

Is trekking permitted in Pai without a guide?

Is there a specific island in Krabi you could recommend? not to busy, fairly priced with access/transport to other places?

Thanks

I like Pai more for the ride to get there than the actual spot. There is touristy Pai which is created for backpackers to high end. It is still in a rugged area and not overwhelming say like Patong. It is petty kickback. there is also the real Pai which lies adjacent and no tourists go there. Pretty drab nothing there.

You must consider the wet season now which could make pai or other places in the North more difficult to reach but also rain adds another dimension to natural beauty. Can't imagine pai or any place in the north now with many crowds. With the recent rains, at least the river should be something to look at. All other seasons, it is quite a disppointment like a creek...

A personal favorite of mine is trang, not the town but the beach/coast area which lies about a hour from the chinese city of trang. No need to even go to the city. I think a four to five hour drive from hat yai maybe less if my memory serves me right. You will find the beach area completely deserted of foreign tourists which means no infrastructure for them. It is strictly for Thais now and made it much more enjoyable and cheap.It is definately a thai feeling and anti phuket, samui, krabi, etc...

I would recommend it but it is quiet there day and evening..just to enjoy the natural scenery and surroundings..You must also keep tabs of weather conditions there as well if you wish to jump off to a number of day use islands just off the coast...

CB

I like Pai more for the ride to get there than the actual spot. There is touristy Pai which is created for backpackers to high end. It is still in a rugged area and not overwhelming say like Patong. It is petty kickback. there is also the real Pai which lies adjacent and no tourists go there. Pretty drab nothing there.

You must consider the wet season now which could make pai or other places in the North more difficult to reach but also rain adds another dimension to natural beauty. Can't imagine pai or any place in the north now with many crowds. With the recent rains, at least the river should be something to look at. All other seasons, it is quite a disppointment like a creek...

A personal favorite of mine is trang, not the town but the beach/coast area which lies about a hour from the chinese city of trang. No need to even go to the city. I think a four to five hour drive from hat yai maybe less if my memory serves me right. You will find the beach area completely deserted of foreign tourists which means no infrastructure for them. It is strictly for Thais now and made it much more enjoyable and cheap.It is definately a thai feeling and anti phuket, samui, krabi, etc...

I would recommend it but it is quiet there day and evening..just to enjoy the natural scenery and surroundings..You must also keep tabs of weather conditions there as well if you wish to jump off to a number of day use islands just off the coast...

CB

It only takes about 1.5 hrs to drive from Hatyai to Trang or Trung which when pronounced a Thai would understand better than the word Trang. Trung is not a Chinese city by any stretch of imagination. In Trung itself, you can find almost all kinds of entertainment available in larger cities, such as those available in Bkk or Cmai with a much much smaller price tix.

Seeing Trung is like visiting Thailand some 50 years back. Besides, Trung has the world most famous Roast Pig which you can not find any place else in the world. Beijing has the famous Roast Duck and Trung has her famous Roast Pig.

If and when you decide to visit Trung, come by the little international pub and restaurant called Cha-Ngaw ชะเงา which offers live band and excellent food venues. Ask the beautiful lady owner--Par-Timm ป้าตี้ม for the farang-gardener which is me. Will be glad to buy you a beer just for visiting Trung.

Besides, from Trung itself, within about half an hour you can reach several secluded beaches and lovely islands closed by where diving is abundant. Guaranteed that you would be spending your time with the locals without presence of many farang tourists. If you decide to come South, pm me if you like. Cheers.

I think you should go to Krabi. Pai is a total bore. Krabi is really beautiful, good restuarants, diving or snorkeling, etc. I've stayed at Duang Jai Resort, I heard they are having some special, really low prices right now. Krabi is like visiting Kauai in Hawaii, and Pai is like visiting a small town of 500 in Nebraska ...just to compare.

If you randomly stumbled into Pai without knowing it is Pai, you would notice nothing special about it. Don't waste your time going there. I'm not a good trekking advice person, but if it was me, I would go to Chang Mai and go with one of the operators that does 5-7 day treks. If you insist on seeing the mountains in Thailand you should go to Mae Hong Son. But even then, nothing special compared to the real mountains you can find a short flight away from Thailand.

Krabi town is a bit drab and I would advice to stay in Ao Nang instead. Krabi is a good place if you want to see some of the famous islands. (same island destinations as from Phuket) However, keep in mind that there will be a lot of foreigners there. You will need to ask around about the best time to go to avoid crowds.

Personally, I rather enjoyed Trang and all of the deep South coasts. This is what I would suggest as a final visit. As mentioned above, it is almost completely devoid of tourists and it's quite nice and relaxed. The security situation doesn't look good but as a foreigner you will be fine. Deep south has a completely different atmosphere than the rest of Thailand so I think you might find that interesting in itself. If almost feels like a different country.

Thanks for the responses.

After investigating the travel options the far south and north treally seem too ambitious considering I only have 4 days and actually want to relax and not endure 12hr bus rides. Flights are 9000bht return which is too pricey for such a short time. I should have organised my plans at an earlier date for these places.

I am now looking at Prachuap Kiri Khan for a day or so and then possibly Haad Thung Wua Laen in Chumphon. If someone could provide precise details on how to get from the bus depot in Prachuap to the decent local beaches I would be very grateful, getting a motorbike is normally my preferred option but if the local songtheaws are fairly priced and regular I would be happy to use them. From what I understand their are regular songtheaws from the bus depot in chumphon to haad thing wua laen, please correct me if I am wrong or you know of a better suggestion.

Thanks again

• Like 1

hey -

Trang is an ok city but a bit of a bore. its a great place to hole up while planning trips in the region. pai is finished but i am sure if you get far afield it is nice, but the town is a mega mall for tourists thai and farang,

I can give a thumbs up to Prachuap if you like seafood. Rooms can be a bit iffy. Hua Hin is not my cup of tea but could be perfect for you. Has nice rooms, farang bar to chill out (incl washed up bargirls from Pattaya) and an ok beach to kick it on. Mind you its no beauty. Also easy access (4hrs from BKK). Good night market (don't eat in that farang market), Cheap internet and 7/11s. HH is an east facing beach, as all mentioned.

Forget the far south - rain on coast.

Heres the ticket for chill: catch a mini bus to Amphawa (2hrs) they have many homestay on the water. I don't know how you get up and back to the market but it looks like its very quiet. The better places have nice restaurants.

Another close possibility: Sankaburi

Forget about Pai or Krabi. Go Mae Hong Son instead. You got nothing to do in Pai except for elephant camps, rafting and waterfalls. As for Krabi, my opinion is also another dead town. Can't compare to Samui. Check out my blog and photostreams, there are lot's of Northern Thai photos. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nusaba/ and www.sunnyhor.blogspot.com

I am now looking at Prachuap Kiri Khan for a day or so

If you go to Prachuab Kiri Khan, stay at Ao Manao beach just south of town, a breathtakingly beautiful bay. There is a place that functions like a hotel there that belongs to the navy, it doesn't really have a name but locally it is known as the Condo. It is always full during the weekends, but very few people around at weekdays.

Aou Manao in Prajoub is so good but you must book the room at least 30 days in advance.

What is so good and captivating about Aou Manow? Pray tell.

We have been travelling for the last decade and would like to know what you found enchanting about Aou Manow please?