The Engine Powering An Average Tuk Tuk

actually my headline says it already.

I am just curious which engine does power a TUK TUK, and how much fuel it consumes per 100 KM.

are there already some of those electric-powered engines in Thailand now too ? how far can they go before they need to see a power-point again ?

I know in Jakarta there are already many of those environment-friendly TukTuk's (or Bacaj, as they are called there), but did not see them in BKK or CNX yet (in BKK the only Farang who use them are usually first-time-tourists anyway).

if you own a private TukTuk, how can you find out which roads are open to this kind of vehicle and which not ? I know in BKK they are banned from many main roads, but how to know about it ?

Edited by THAILIBAN

Most of the tuk tuks in the major cities run on LNG.

LNG/CNG/NGV is not common as tuk tuk yet. Huge tank required to cover any distance, and engines not designed for such high combustion temperature

LPG with two stroke oil injection is most common on the 3 wheels tuk tuks as found in BKK and Chiang Mai.

A thai company has developed these for electric engine with solar roof and charger. Not many sold in LOS yet. Range between charges depends on how much sunshine reaches their roof

The 3 wheels in Esarn with Lifan 150cc 4 stroke, use gasohol E10 or petrol, siamtuktukdotcom

The 4 wheel Daihatsu and Suzuki as in Surat and Phuket use 91 petrol or gasohol if they know engine needs rebuild soon anyway. LPG hard to find in these areas

Edited by katabeachbum

Many BKK Tuk-Tuks use a 2-stroke that runs on LPG. I thought they were 3 cylinder but more likely they are a 2 cylinder Diahatsu Hi-Jet engine about 400 cc.Later ones and hotel style ones use the Diahatsu 3 cylinder 4-stroke. If you want one of those engines there is a shop under Prakanong BTS.

Sometimes one can also see the 2 cylinder 2-strokes powering small river/klong boats the kind that sell/transport vegetables, et al.

The dilemma is that the Hi-Jet was air cooled and the river craft are water cooled.

Edited by VocalNeal

The engines we use are generally Daihatsu 550/650/1000cc variants, there is also a subaru 3 cylinder available.

We do fit LPG if the customer requests this fitment but to be honest the saving is small.

Some tuk tuks I have seen also fit a Suzuki engine but this unit is not so popular.

Mike.

I swear I've seen some of these up around Nakhon Panom, Sakhon Nakhon, and maybe Mukdahan with old salvaged car engines attached - those wider, lower, heavier looking tuk-tuks (skylabs really) with the smaller, wider tires. They look like they have old 1.3 or 1.5 liter four cylinders slung under there.

Edited by ClareQuilty