Thai Police Arrest Two Germans For Internet Banking Theft

webfact

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt they will get off very lightly, as seems to be the way of things in Thailand.. Punishment rarely fits the crime!

Uh, what? I very much doubt that the Thai law enforcement community will miss the opportunity to lynch a farang or two on the public place.

Seriously, a bribe and some fast talking can get you in the clear for for traffic offenses, or fraudulent business practices, but do drugs or theft and they'll have a field day on you. These two are definitely not getting off lightly, nor should they.

Odds are, they were pawns for that russian ring and transferring all the money to untraceable accounts over there, but then they thought they could do a job or two for their own profit. Of course they messed it up, and here they are: fresh out of school and looking at spending their first adult years in a Thai jail. Way to go, dudes!

By the looks on their faces, looks to me like they cut a deal to help Thais with security breaching and have a nice stash of cash hidden away somewhere waiting for them. Those pictures say a lot.

To all members who read this thread, I am not planning on adding any more on what happened now that much of the misinformation provided in the media has been addressed. If you have any questions or comments you want me to respond to, please send me a PM and I will get a notification. I will then respond to all (on topic) posts. Thank you.

Did the Thai girls get in trouble? ...the ones who had the accounts to which the dough was transferred.

They had to have given their account #'s to the German boys, and surely the girls got a cut of the action and probably knew what was going on - though they would surely deny it.

First Direct iBanking Log in page:

"Important security message

You may have heard reports of a new trojan virus attacking personal bank accounts. Please be assured that in the unlikely case that you had money taken from your accounts as a result of computer or mobile crime, we would repay it in full." Nice!

Edited by dogleg

From the Daily Mail last week in the UK. This should reinforce the need for all to ensure their computers are patched and protected with antivirus/antimalware software. This is a problem worldwide and it can affect any computer platform and browser. So please act responsibly and defensively. If you do, you will be fine.

"Hackers clean out 3000 bank accounts in UK

AGENCIES, Aug 12, 2010, 02.15am IST

The scam was carried out by using a computer virus — described by experts as the most dangerous malware programme ever created — that emptied the bank accounts while showing customers fake statements, the Daily Mail reported. Internet security firm M86 Security, which discovered the scam, said the hackers stole a total of £675,000 from the unnamed British bank.

"We've never seen such a sophisticated and dangerous threat. Always check your balance and have a good idea of what it is," the security firm said. The latest virus is a variant of the Zeus trojan banking virus which first emerged 3 years ago and is called Zeus v3.

Researchers at M86 Security said the virus attacked the systems when victims were browsing the net. It swiped the online banking ID of the customers and hijacked their online banking accounts.

The malware was designed to attack only those accounts which had substantial balance, it said.

Bank sites that offer two-factor authentication, such as one-time passcodes and ID tokens, are ineffective because the malware has taken over the browser after the victim has logged into the banking site, Bradley Anstis, vice president of technology strategy at M86 Security, told CNET.

Meanwhile, British high street banks do not believe they have become victims of the cyber criminals. A spokesman for HSBC said, "There are millions of viruses and other malicious software. We urge people to take basic measure to protect themselves from virus attacks. Any customer who is a victim of fraud will be reimbursed by HSBC."

However, M86 said it believed one high street bank was breached and failed to act quickly after warnings last month. More than 100,000 PCs in Britain have been infected with other forms of the trojan virus. According to Financial Fraud Action UK, about £59.7 million was lost to online banking fraud last year. Another £440 million was lost to credit card fraud. "

• 1 year later...

Two German hackers detained for stealing internet banking information....

what is the different between black man crime and white man crime

all country commits crime,who can tell me which country in the world that dont commit any crime....poor,greedness is the problem.i think this guys and poor and hungry,government should help the people to get a good work..but i dont blame the governments of the crimes but i blame the crime commiters,stop doing what is bad....

What a way to start life in your twenties?

Have they actually tried and failed at something legit before this?

Or they could just be on commission just for withdrawing the cash, now left cold holding the baby, while the repeat offenders are on their yacht somewhere on the Indian ocean.

Why didn't someone tell them that they could get a legit job with a US government agency? Then you can lie, drink and steal all you want.

more brain dead USA bashing probably from someone who owes his exsistence to American sacrificed blood when we bailed Europe out. WW11