Depression In Chiang Mai.

gennisis

There is nothing good to say about night life in Chiang Mai if you are a farang male. There are discos/clubs such as Warm Up, Riverside, Monkey Club. But try making a move on any of the girls there and see how fast the Thai guys warn you off or try and push you away. I've now been attacked 3 times in these places because I tried to talk to Thai girls (the guys don't do it openly: usually they wait till you go to the toilet, then come with a couple of their friends and grab you by the throat as you open the door). They're fine if you go to 'farangland', Loi Kroh etc, but move in on their territory (Nimmanhamen area etc) and they don't like it one bit.

Oh, of course they're not really Thais: I should have said Chinese-Thais, the ones who run everything here.

That's strange, I have exactly the opposite reaction by Thai males and find night life in CM to be amongst the best in the world. (and I'm not talking about whoring, just about going out, having a good time and meeting people, male and female, maybe finding a gf)

My mates and I on our weekly "males only" nights head straight for the Thai only areas to hit on young university students. Guys, girls and ladyboys always approach us, we laugh at their poor attempts to speak English, they laugh at our poor attempts to speak Thai, but after a few drinks nobody cares and we get down to the serious business of sneakily squeezing each others bums ......

OK so I admit to being an equal opportunities bum squeezer., why not TIT.

PS

Monkey is awful ... too crowded

No.1 bar and all other joints on/near Loi Krow awful (might be OK for a couple of visits a year if you don't mind mixing with pros)

Spicey too awful to visit under any circumstances unless you need a last minute pro, and don't mind being drugged and robbed.

PPS

To fit in with the Thais you don't sit and nurse a solitary beer, you buy a bottle of whiskey + mixers, or the 5 large bottles of beer promotion. Men don't pour their own drinks, girls do that for you. I'm always amazed at the number of white guys who never learn to do this.

I agree with most of this. I just don't like ice in my beer, though. I've been to Day-li about 50 times, and it is about 90% Thais. Never had anything even close to a confrontation in there. Cops came to clear a fire lane one time, other than that, no fights, no puking, great prices, smoking area, some great food.........half price of Loi Kroi. Monkey was OK, but maybe not worth the money, but it would still be cheap by Sukhumvit standards. I had great food at Warm-up, but it's jsut a little younger, and a little more crowded, loud for me. Did see BiB rolling in as me and a friend were leaving. That can be a by-product of the early 20s crowd. That VW Bus with the promotion is kind of cool, too. Opposite side of Thapae Gate is more Thai, fewer farang, more students, lower prices........I know great places on all four sides.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My comments to the posts above regarding Chiang Mai nightlife:

Agree with the comment about being suspicious of a Thai woman in a bar or club who allows a drunk farang to pick them up in front of other Thais. Only a 'dangerous' Thai female would allow this. However, if you keep your wits about you, a very enjoyable evening (and morning) may follow.

Places like Warm Up and Monkey are good for getting phone numbers and following up with a coffee or meal a few days later.

I've never experienced Thai males becoming possessive over Thai females unless the female is the guy's girlfriend.

Some of the girls in No. 1 have offered to leave the bar and requested a bar fine to compensate the bar. This suggests to me the bar is aware of what's happening. Anyone who thinks this place is a family bar, must come from a very strange family IMO.

Nearly all the bars along Loi Kroi would prefer new and naive punters who will buy lady drinks, pay bar fines and if the punter is really daft, 'buy' the bar for their 'girlfriend' who works there.

Chiang Rai offers a much better night out for farang men looking for a fun thai-style night (and morning) imo

I only live in CM a couple months a year but it appears to me that every year I return it is busier than the year before.Also I do return at various times not always the same months.

As to the night life ....We enjoy it & get to see quite a bit of great music like Chai blues or the house bands at Riverside,Brasserie etc,,

As to the bar fine type, I cannot say as I am happily married & never investigated it. But we do have dinner out most nights with friends & while driving I see many bars with the girls out front on the stools. Or if after 12 midnight they are standing & trying to wave down cars :)

So there does not appear to be a shortage of that....at least to my eyes.

Overall though as to depression in CM if anything it is getting a bit too crowded for my taste. Still a great place to visit though & the people are all very nice.