New Diving Computer

Crushdepth

So what kind of dive computer do you use and what would you recommend? I'm looking to upgrade my 15-year old pre-nitrox Aladdin Pro, which refuses to die. What do you think of air integration - a useful supplement to dive calculations or just an expensive gimmick?

Currently thinking about the Suunto Cobra3, Vyper Air and Helios (the latter two probably without the transmitter). I don't really want to spend more than $1,000, just weekend rec diving to max 30 metres.

As a Weekenddiver with a max depth of 30 Meter the Hel02 (Helios?) is over the top for you. Thats a Computer for Tec Diving.

If you are not too keen on Air Consuption have a look at Suunto Zoop (bigger but cheaper) and the D4 (Watch Modell). Also in your Price would be the D6 (very nice watch size computer), but that one has to be with Metall Bracelet as the Plastic one will break after less then one year without warning.

If you have your own Regulator Set the Cobra 3 is nice too, however I do not like that he is attached with a hose and you have to hold it in your hand at a safety stop, wrist mounted are more comfy there. But you get to watch your aircosumtion easy. The integrated Compasses in some of them is nice, but (I have a D6) do not bother with my one. I use a proper Compass.

If you are not into Tec Diving then a D4 or even the basic Zoop is enough for you. If you want monitor the Air Consumtion and have a Compass the Cobra 3 may what you want. All mentioned Computers can handle at least Enriched Air/Nitrox. One point you have to have a look at is also if you want to replace the batterie yourself or if it has to be replaced by a Dealer. suunto.com will give you that detail (and many more). AFAIK all the Computers will let you store your Data on the Computer, but you may have to buy the Cable for that. In the end a basic Computer will do everything you need, however I do know Guys like there Toys :ph34r:

At 10k baht the Zoop looks like pretty amazing value for money, I'll have a think about that one. Agree the Helios is over the top for me.

I think part of the attraction of the Vyper and Cobra3 is the digital compass/integrated air opens the possibility of getting rid of the gauge hose entirely. However, if the transmitter dies/battery runs out that would leave you with no air gauge, and I'm not sure the digital compass would be a good substitute for the real thing.

At 10k baht the Zoop looks like pretty amazing value for money, I'll have a think about that one. Agree the Helios is over the top for me.

I think part of the attraction of the Vyper and Cobra3 is the digital compass/integrated air opens the possibility of getting rid of the gauge hose entirely. However, if the transmitter dies/battery runs out that would leave you with no air gauge, and I'm not sure the digital compass would be a good substitute for the real thing.

I would recommend against air integration, I see too many problems with that on the boats.

I would recommend against air integration, I see too many problems with that on the boats.

I have the D9 with the transmitter and have been on boats all over and never had a problem. My dive buddy at one time had the Vtec with the same and we never had a problem. I have found it to be a great help. One look at the computer tells me all I need to know. How much air I have and an estimate on how long this will last me at my consumption rate. Also the integrated compass is good for return headings and for navigation skills. I also like the software as well Much easier than writing it all down and the latest from Suunto is very good. If all you want is a dive computer then the Ghekko is a great little basic computer and will do all you ask of it for about 9000 baht

Hi I find the integrated compass a great help. I can take a bearing and press a button. It will then give me the options of doing a square, triangular or reverse heading. It shows me how far off the appropriate bearing I have chosen by the size of the arrows. I also have a back up console compass which also houses a depth, SPG, and temp gauge as well. As said the ability to look at 1 piece of equipment that tells me everything I need to be concerned about is a great bonus. The D9 also allows the switching between 3 different gases so can be used for technical diving as well if needed which was why I got the D9 in the first place.

Ok thanks. Do you know if the computer factors your air consumption into its decompression model, or is the integrated air function basically just a wireless air gauge?

Some do, Some don't and the price varies accordingly.

Here is a review of the top ten.

http://aquaviews.net/top-10-scuba-dive-computers

A friend of mine from Southern Ocean Exploration uses a Suunto Vytec for their tech dives as you can switch gases during the dive, his next dive he is planning they will take 5 sling tanks, 2 travel, a 50 and a 100 for bottom,a separate tank for the drysuit so not putting cold helium into the suit, all of this for a short time on the bottom and 3 hours in the water, this computer can calculate deco even with the gas switching.

http://www.suunto.com/en/Products/Diving/Suunto-Vytec-DS/

Ok thanks. Do you know if the computer factors your air consumption into its decompression model, or is the integrated air function basically just a wireless air gauge?

Decompression and air consumption are not really related. I presume you mean: does it predict how much longer I can stay underwater. As said: depends on the model.

Crushdepth hi, the computer samples my breathing rate every 5 seconds, this rate is adjustable, and then calculates how long the air that I have will last at the given breathing rate. As said just looking at the one thing tells me all I need to know and I have found it makes my diving a lot easier. I know divers who have removed their console gauges but I keep them for teaching and my technical training makes back ups a must for piece of mind. :D

Decompression and air consumption are not really related.

They are if your using air so fast there's none left to do the deco stop. Some computers take air consumption into account and make sure there is enough air left for a Deco plus a safety margin.

Decompression and air consumption are not really related. I presume you mean: does it predict how much longer I can stay underwater. As said: depends on the model.

I thought you would take up nitrogen faster if you were working harder?

I thought you would take up nitrogen faster if you were working harder?

I don;t think the rate at which you breath changes the bodies abosorbtion rate of nitrogen much, if it does, then everyone would need a personalised dive computer as everyone would be different based on health, weight, fitness etc.

From the Canadian Space agency - The science of gases

Nitrogen Absorption

Nitrogen is a major component of the air we breathe. For this reason, nitrogen gas dissolves in our body tissues. Under normal everyday conditions our body tissues are saturated with nitrogen; that is to say, the tissues of our body hold the maximum amount of dissolved nitrogen possible in solution, in a state of dynamic equilibrium.

If conditions change—for example, if the air pressure should suddenly drop—this equilibrium is upset, and conditions within the body tissues tend to shift to re-establish the equilibrium.

The solubility of a gas in a liquid depends directly upon its partial pressure and inversely upon the temperature of the solvent.

In a healthy person, the body temperature is fairly constant. However, when living or working in extreme environments, the pressure to which one is subjected can change significantly.

When the ambient pressure increases, the equilibrium shifts towards more dissolved gas. When the ambient pressure decreases, the equilibrium shifts towards less dissolved gas.

Ok well I think integrated air isn't for me. It's come down to the Zoop (which seems to be the new Gekko with a PC interface), the Vyper (a Gekko with a backlight, dive simulator, and PC interface), or a Vyper Air sans transmitter (all of the above plus digital compass and dot matrix display). I'm attracted to the digital compass, but not for twice the price!

That leaves the Zoop and the Vyper wrist. Price is only B1,500 different, so I'll probably go for the latter, although really they are so similar it probably doesn't make much difference. Anyone got experience with the Vyper?

Thanks all for your help.

Ok well I think integrated air isn't for me. It's come down to the Zoop (which seems to be the new Gekko with a PC interface), the Vyper (a Gekko with a backlight, dive simulator, and PC interface), or a Vyper Air sans transmitter (all of the above plus digital compass and dot matrix display). I'm attracted to the digital compass, but not for twice the price!

That leaves the Zoop and the Vyper wrist. Price is only B1,500 different, so I'll probably go for the latter, although really they are so similar it probably doesn't make much difference. Anyone got experience with the Vyper?

Thanks all for your help.

The Zoop has a stupid name, apart from that it also doesn't have gauge mode, unless you bend it, its also a horrible yellow, both use the same RGBM algorithm, the backlight on my com is handy even during daylight even though its not one of these two.

• 1 month later...

Air integrated (Transmitter) is great. But keep in mind if the computer fails, than you have no information at all.

For my solo dive gear I put a Transmitter because it is so comfortable and nice calculations (remaining dive time till 50 bar, also deducting the Decompression time). Of course you still need a dive plan and a reality check, but it never let me down. But I also add a normal gauge, to be safe.