Tot Blocking All Torrent Traffic

geoffphuket

just signed up to post :)

everybody be cool - enabling dht network in torrent client and increasing number of peers connected to torrent - i have back on 420-450 kb per sec on 4Mb package

private torrents not working but DHT is enough, tested with pirate bay and few russian private trackers(http do not work but DHT rocks)

TOT is as usual "thai style" - they will have same traffic, but if working with private torrent to get 430kb sec speed was enough 5-10 peer connections - now i have 150-200 connections to get same speed and it means 20 times more work for thair servers....think if everybody goes DHT and billions of peers TOT will change everything back in one week....

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy I spoke to was quite honest, he said that they were Prioritising Traffic, he then tried to give me an analogy of having a car that could do 180KPH and would I expect to drive at that speed all the time!

I gave him the 25 bottles of beer analogy and him delivering 5, he burst out laughing and agreed with me that I should use this in getting a rebate, he cracked me up!

But it seems to be true anyway, but the way things sound, they have been getting a lot of pissed off people, and hopefully life will get back to normal. I feel sorry for the poor buggers on the end of the phone having to deal with their idiot employers decisions. I must say, he brightened my night with his sense of humour, a lot of people here cannot understand a bit of irony or sarcasm, but at least he was honest and told me what was happening.

If torrent users were 'responsible' about their usage, perhaps all of these problems could be avoided?

Obviously, someone not on a race track & driving a car at 180kph, is irresponsible.

Of course, this would require 'education', which many torrent users on TV indicate that they have little education in this regard. BTW, the 'education' requires reading & lots of it.

How many posts are about, "I have a slow download speed with torrents", etc? If users bothered to do some reading, these posts would be minimal. These posts appear for 2 reasons;

1] laziness.

2] a lack of basic computer skills.

IMHO, laziness is the number 1 problem.

I have been using P2P for quite a while. I spent months reading forums etc about it. It became obvious to me that P2P traffic was a major cause of bandwidth reduction for many users.

I still use P2P but I ensure that my upload speed is never greater than about 5kbps. From what I have read, it is the uploads that cause most of the bandwidth problems & therefore I limit my upload capability. This means that I must be patient for things to 'equalise' (share ratio) before I rush into downloading any new torrents. I only wish that other users did the same instead of being greedy pigs.

• Like 1

The guy I spoke to was quite honest, he said that they were Prioritising Traffic, he then tried to give me an analogy of having a car that could do 180KPH and would I expect to drive at that speed all the time!

I gave him the 25 bottles of beer analogy and him delivering 5, he burst out laughing and agreed with me that I should use this in getting a rebate, he cracked me up!

But it seems to be true anyway, but the way things sound, they have been getting a lot of pissed off people, and hopefully life will get back to normal. I feel sorry for the poor buggers on the end of the phone having to deal with their idiot employers decisions. I must say, he brightened my night with his sense of humour, a lot of people here cannot understand a bit of irony or sarcasm, but at least he was honest and told me what was happening.

If torrent users were 'responsible' about their usage, perhaps all of these problems could be avoided?

Obviously, someone not on a race track & driving a car at 180kph, is irresponsible.

Of course, this would require 'education', which many torrent users on TV indicate that they have little education in this regard. BTW, the 'education' requires reading & lots of it.

How many posts are about, "I have a slow download speed with torrents", etc? If users bothered to do some reading, these posts would be minimal. These posts appear for 2 reasons;

1] laziness.

I have been using P2P for quite a while. I spent months reading forums etc about it. It became obvious to me that P2P traffic was a major cause of bandwidth reduction for many users.

I still use P2P but I ensure that my upload speed is never greater than about 5kbps. From what I have read, it is the uploads that cause most of the bandwidth problems & therefore I limit my upload capability. This means that I must be patient for things to 'equalise' (share ratio) before I rush into downloading any new torrents. I only wish that other users did the same instead of being greedy pigs.

Obviously you were too lazy to read and absorb what this thread is about - TOT HAVE BLOCKED TORRENTS nothing to do with how users treat the system :rolleyes:

1] laziness.

Obviously you were too lazy to read and absorb what this thread is about - TOT HAVE BLOCKED TORRENTS nothing to do with how users treat the system :rolleyes:

Why am I not blocked? I use TOT.

It may be a bit slow but it is not blocked where I am.

Again, if you're so upset about things, look at why these things are happening instead of demanding everything instantly.

BTW...Surprise!

Edited by elkangorito

Just to point out that, 'fair use' is up to TOT to define, and is by definition a flexible target. As to their traffic shaping, well I'm sure they've never touched the facilities within vpiSystem OnePlan which they purchased in 2007, heaven forfend :) .

By the by vpi's stuff is subtle and not always easy to detect but it's there.

Regards

PS As I noted this may be more of a configuration upcock, rather than a policy per se. This may account for the disparate replies users have received.

PPS Odd I've not seen a similar thread in Thai, anyone?

1] laziness.

Hahahaha, very true! But it's probably less then topics about portforwarding, where the majority just does something as shown on a website, without having the slightest idea how it actually works....

PS As I noted this may be more of a configuration upcock, rather than a policy per se. This may account for the disparate replies users have received.

PPS Odd I've not seen a similar thread in Thai, anyone?

This is also what I think. Mind you, the greed of some people is simply shocking.

Really? I believe that in some parts of the world it's de rigeur, and not considered to be even slightly irresponsible.

[Geoff you're feeding your own trolls now- where is the mod for this forum?]

just signed up to post :)

everybody be cool - enabling dht network in torrent client and increasing number of peers connected to torrent - i have back on 420-450 kb per sec on 4Mb package

private torrents not working but DHT is enough, tested with pirate bay and few russian private trackers(http do not work but DHT rocks)

TOT is as usual "thai style" - they will have same traffic, but if working with private torrent to get 430kb sec speed was enough 5-10 peer connections - now i have 150-200 connections to get same speed and it means 20 times more work for thair servers....think if everybody goes DHT and billions of peers TOT will change everything back in one week....

Have DHT enabled and 200 connections in uTorrent and it makes not a jot of difference. Private tracker from the UK and France 0/0 and public one happily delivering an old TV show at 120/5 so I think your analysis is a bit optimistic I'm afraid. :(

Really? I believe that in some parts of the world it's de rigeur, and not considered to be even slightly irresponsible.

Minus 2 reputation points for you. :bah:...even though I don't give a <deleted> about rep points.

I feel the need to reiterate this:

1] laziness.

Minus 2 reputation points for you. :bah:...even though I don't give a <deleted> about rep points.

Why? I always had more respect for you than this Elkangorito. Stop trolling. No-one gives a shit about reputation points and you can't take them away.

This had to happen. It probably a good thing. You'll "hopefully" see performance of voip, web mail, etc.. improve. Torrents are drain especially since most peers exists outside of TOT, if you look at an average torrent drainer using a steady 1mbit the economics just dont make sense. I cant even buy full transit routes on 1000mbit commits for < 550baht/mbit (or anywhere near that). So hopefully TOT stop, separate, or traffic shape them.

Ideally I'd like to see torrent drainer pay a massive premium. Part ignorance for most windoze users as the systray hides the little U, but wow imagine how fast the internet would be in Thailand without torrent drainers.

Ends rant.

Can someone kindly explain in layman's terms what this is all about. I haven't a clue about torrents, drainers, transit routes, traffic shape etc. Sorry, but I know I am technologically challenged.

Really? I believe that in some parts of the world it's de rigeur, and not considered to be even slightly irresponsible. :lol: (Here is the missing smiley).

Minus 2 reputation points for you. :bah:...even though I don't give a &lt;deleted&gt; about rep points.

Why? I always had more respect for you than this Elkangorito. Stop trolling. No-one gives a shit about reputation points and you can't take them away.

Perhaps you missed using a 'smiley' in the correct spot, so that I would know that you were joshing? I'll put a smiley in the right spot for you...for free (see above). Are we ok now?

This had to happen. It probably a good thing. You'll "hopefully" see performance of voip, web mail, etc.. improve. Torrents are drain especially since most peers exists outside of TOT, if you look at an average torrent drainer using a steady 1mbit the economics just dont make sense. I cant even buy full transit routes on 1000mbit commits for < 550baht/mbit (or anywhere near that). So hopefully TOT stop, separate, or traffic shape them.

Ideally I'd like to see torrent drainer pay a massive premium. Part ignorance for most windoze users as the systray hides the little U, but wow imagine how fast the internet would be in Thailand without torrent drainers.

Ends rant.

Can someone kindly explain in layman's terms what this is all about. I haven't a clue about torrents, drainers, transit routes, traffic shape etc. Sorry, but I know I am technologically challenged.

Dont worry its all bullshit, TOT has just decided to indiscriminate one type of internet users over another for no apparent reason, TIT. BitTorrent (just a way of getting open source software from others) seeds dont use any bandwidth (just a infinite beam of light - its entirely free to the providers - we just use it as a metric to bitch about). And when you buy TOT/TTT/Cat/True your contract explicitly states that the rate you received can be used for anything, it is not shared, contention ratios is just a made up term, can not be restricted and should perform this hour as it did last hour TIT.. The experts will fill you in, a support group is coming soon... follow by a class action lawsuit (there is a few lawyers in the IT industry on this thread... ). Dont worry for what it is worth they are shitting themselves, all the people calling the helpline, they've set up a war room at TOT (they even offered to fly some of experts down to BKK to help resolve it) and soon (very soon, someone even said days) everyone will get double torrent speed.. god save..

Edited by mattcodes

Chiang Mai here, returned home this evening and the torrents I was seeding all blocked (Nova & Thebox).

Phoned TOT asked them if they were blocking and was given no reply. She instructed me to log on to my modem and changed the password???

Anyway been trialling stuff in Utorrent since:

Uknova: fine normal.

Thebox: blocked

Extv: fine normal

Random others: a mix some getting blocked others not

I agree with others UK tv and sports are what keep me going.

Anyone have a clue what this will do for the new Premier Season i.e. streaming through p2p - noticed sopcast wasn't working during the World Cup?

I feel the need to reiterate this:

1] laziness.

If TOT is really trying to do something about downloading (please note that not all torrent downloads are illegal btw) they shouldn't specifically target private trackers. For me Demonoid is still working, so is TPB. I can still use direct downloads, so this whole action (if it is an action) is just dumb! If TOT continues this, a lot of people will move (if they have the option) to alternatives at which downloading does still work (like True f.i. which today was still working perfectly fine).

I don't understand why they have focused only on private trackers. Do you think they'll come back at night?

It's been posted a few pages back that service will resume as normal after 10pm. I'm clock watching ;)

I read that but I won't believe it until I see it, TOT being TOT.

Chiang Mai here, returned home this evening and the torrents I was seeding all blocked (Nova & Thebox).

Phoned TOT asked them if they were blocking and was given no reply. She instructed me to log on to my modem and changed the password???

Anyway been trialling stuff in Utorrent since:

Uknova: fine normal.

Thebox: blocked

Extv: fine normal

Random others: a mix some getting blocked others not

I agree with others UK tv and sports are what keep me going.

Anyone have a clue what this will do for the new Premier Season i.e. streaming through p2p - noticed sopcast wasn't working during the World Cup?

Have you tried downloading a NEW torrent from Uknova, torrents already in your download list might still work? It's still blocked for me