Tot Blocking All Torrent Traffic

geoffphuket

I propose someone start a thread if they want to discuss the legal/ethical/cost charging issues and keep it 100 percent separate from this thread which was clearly intended to keep open to discuss the TECHNICAL issues and news about this phenom that is clearly happening now widely on TOT Thailand.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chiang Mai - Faa Ham - Last of the Torrents I started are downloading ( fast too ), but new ones are a No Go.

Had the tech support people here , twice in 2 days , and the problem is my splitter (TOT Brand) , Router (TOT Brand) , spare phone, wiring (TOT Brand) , etc... Just nothing good about anything I have here. Chinese made they say... No blocking of Torrents , even with the program open , the Techies just looked and said I needed a Commercial Connection for more Speed.. ( With a straight face to boot ) Clock speed is Good.. No problems there ...

Now I checked and in 3 years I have downloaded 1,046 GB's... That is 29 GB a Month , or 1 GB a day.. Or 55 Minutes of Download speed a day...

Now my connection here is so great with all the Chinese Junk I own , that it takes 8+ Hours to download that 55 minutes worth of the 3MB Package I pay for..

Now my money is printed in Thailand , and is of good quality I am told..:jap:

The connection I have is of Good Quality I am told...:guitar:

My (TOT Brand) Chinese junk does an OK job of downloading..:cheesy:

So why is it that the Torrents are Blocked??:redcard2:

Again, it is a case of not getting what I paid for (real), and excuses that the system has been oversold (real), and BLAH BLAH BLAH no problem ( TOT )

No one to talk to or complain to , TOT in TIT you know.

Fix its are the game now.. We are going to get those torrents, or be outsmarted by TOT Techies :cheesy:.. I think not

Hacks and fixes people , that is what I need ..

Suggestions in Lay mans terms are welcome..

Please advise..

This had to happen. It probably a good thing. You'll "hopefully" see performance of voip, web mail, etc.. improve. Torrents are drain especially since most peers exists outside of TOT, if you look at an average torrent drainer using a steady 1mbit the economics just dont make sense. I cant even buy full transit routes on 1000mbit commits for < 550baht/mbit (or anywhere near that). So hopefully TOT stop, separate, or traffic shape them.

Ideally I'd like to see torrent drainer pay a massive premium. Part ignorance for most windoze users as the systray hides the little U, but wow imagine how fast the internet would be in Thailand without torrent drainers.

Ends rant.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you are very much in the minority

Doubt it - I run a business with a costly 3Mb line from TOT and the service sux with download running about 400 and up load about 100 and frankly the sooner the lose torrents downloads into Thailand I will cheer. No personal front here just a business needs its communications and TOT sux at that anyway.

Well 2 possibilities

1 TOT has a a technical problem and is slow to repair:OK can wait a little

2 TOT blocks downloads.Then, a little question for the network literates here:will the use of a VPN resolve this?

Edited by djinn

I am also in Bangkok, using TOT and downloading torrents with utorrent as I type with no problems and normal speeds.

When did you start these torrents and what is the tracker name (if you can) and what is the service name?

This had to happen. It probably a good thing. You'll "hopefully" see performance of voip, web mail, etc.. improve. Torrents are drain especially since most peers exists outside of TOT, if you look at an average torrent drainer using a steady 1mbit the economics just dont make sense. I cant even buy full transit routes on 1000mbit commits for < 550baht/mbit (or anywhere near that). So hopefully TOT stop, separate, or traffic shape them.

Ideally I'd like to see torrent drainer pay a massive premium. Part ignorance for most windoze users as the systray hides the little U, but wow imagine how fast the internet would be in Thailand without torrent drainers.

Ends rant.

other countries do not seem to have this much of a problem, maybe if the big brothers in this country sorted their shit out then there would be more available bandwidth. EG. the 3G bullshit. if the country invested more in infrastructure development than taking the paid premiums to buy new houses and fast cars, then maybe, maybe there would be sufficient bandwidth for people who pay for their bandwidth to get all of it and to all the torrenting they want.

thailand should dismantle all its backward technology and stick to rice planting for the next 20 or 30 years then try again but SLOWLY

the country has been dragged into an age it is not yet ready for -------------------the standard of education prohibits thought re. any sort of business

now you see why thaksin did so well----------------his brain was turned on and not in safe mode like just about the rest of the country !!

Im at Nong Palai (Pattayaish) and nothing here for two days..Usenet is working fine tho. Usenet for the win!

Edit:Steam client isnt updating/logging in for me either...not sure if thats connected...

Edited by ArtfulD

vediovis - glad to see someone sees it fair.

Skype uses nowhere near the bandwidth that most torrent use, a fraction of a megabit. Also it runs for as long as the conversations last and establishes a minimal number of p2p connections. U pay for your internet connection, sure, but say you pay for 3mb, its oversold (same everywhere in the world), ISPs dont expect you to saturate the line, they even tell you there will be contention. This problem DOES exist is other countries but the effects on the main userbase arent as dramatic for numerous reasons that I cant be arsed typing out in detail - think where the peer exists - think who gets traffic shaped - think how cheap the transit and partial transit routes are in US / EU - you can get down to less than a couple of quid a megabit in large commits.

>By the way, I use Torrents in a legal way, to up- and download program and OS code.

Yawn. Im sure some people do. Most people working with source code will be pulling an SCM though (git/cvs/svn), most distros are available on HTTP mirrors too, so unfortunately given 99% of torrent traffic is illegitimate you may be that 1% victim, workarounds exist so its for the greater good.

>It is the same one most of us torrenters feel when we notice all the Skype users hogging the bandwidth to avoid paying the incredibly cheap long distance rates charged in Thailand.

Again misinformed. Use a bandwidth monitor to see how much traffic a Skype call takes and how many peer 2 peer connections it uses (the sheer number with bittorrent have effects on l3 switching gear in play at the ISPs).

Well done TOT. I just hope the others follow. Torrenter you can come back in a few years when the infrastructure can support everybody saturating (> 25%) there line 24/7.

My solution - 500baht / month for 8mbit/10mbit or something sensible. 100baht/1gb downloaded/uyploaded then you can torrent your heart out and we'd all be happy.

come on.....you....I have bad words to say but don't want to be blocked.....I pay for a service...why should U, or the provider decide my download options....or charge by download speed...??? your "vocabulary" concerning computer torrent downloads are above most reader's head's..which leads me to believe...you need a girlfriend....how can you have the time to quote the particulars of bandwith and "mirrors"? source code...???? are you joking??? keep it simple stu+id

chadillac0,

come on..... I'll simplify it just for you. If nearly everybody that goes to all-you-can-eat buffet had 5 massive full plates, mostly the expensive stuff, how long would the buffet company last? The company that put that little wire in your house so you can click on websites played a game of averages that now isnt working out as they expected... Granted I will admit the advertising does give the impression of unlimited everything... unfortunately (at least in Thailand) it just isnt possible.

And let's make it simple for you Mattcodes. The providers (TOT) have entered into a contract, it may be a bad contract- that is their problem. There have been plenty of occasions when TOT has failed to provide ANY service on my connection from one week to the next- they still took my money. It is not the fault of the customers who have paid for the service if the company/provider made a bad deal. I'm not a big eater- I don't go to all you can eat buffets and bitch that I don't eat much. Neither should you. Anyhow- regardless, when talking about TOT, this 'all you can eat buffet' often has NO food, nowhere to sit, and extremely annoying customers who like to moan on about their anorexic eating habits and how everyone else should subsidise them because of it. What toss!

the last years i used torrent downloads. but now i find it much better to download with Rapidshare (...megaupload and others) with the software "JDownloader". the choice is much greater and still most is free of charge.

Ends rant.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you are very much in the minority

I agree. You pay for your connection. You download what you want!!!!! Who are you to start deciding who can do what on the internet?????

I am also in Bangkok, using TOT and downloading torrents with utorrent as I type with no problems and normal speeds.

When did you start these torrents and what is the tracker name (if you can) and what is the service name?

Yesterday, via Demonoid. Not sure what you mean by service name?

Under trackers I see:

[Peer Exchange]

and

http://inferno.demonoid.com:3396/announce

Both with peers and seeders.

While writing this reply I went to demonoid and started up a new torrent, which is now downloading fine as well.

trackers:

http://genesis.1337x.org:1337/announce

bad news: my wife just phoned TOT and was advised that they are indeed blocking torrent traffic. engineer was quite open about it.

good(ish) news: he also advised that torrent traffic will be turned on between 10pm and 5am - reason to give faster traffic during the day for "normal" use.

it was stated as temporary though he couldn't give a timespan as to when full service would be resume.

we'll see at 10pm lads.

Can anyone else confirm this?

I use TOT and I'm downloading as I write this no problem.

When did you first start these torrents, which tracker (if it's not too embarrassing) and what is the ToT service name, please?

The first one was 45 minutes ago the last one 20 minutes ago. Piratesbay and utorrent. Cha Am TOT service.

Thanks for that. I think someone else said that ThePirateBay was still working. It's odd that they are blocking the private trackers - TheBox, TheEmpire, etc - but not the really naughty boys at TPB.

I am in ChiangMai, from yesterday my uTorrent all get "Connection closed by peer", and I called Tot 1177 this morning, and a man called back told me they didn't block anything, but the from another Tot staff just told me they block bit at morning, ask me try again at night.

bad news: my wife just phoned TOT and was advised that they are indeed blocking torrent traffic. engineer was quite open about it.

good(ish) news: he also advised that torrent traffic will be turned on between 10pm and 5am - reason to give faster traffic during the day for "normal" use.

it was stated as temporary though he couldn't give a timespan as to when full service would be resume.

we'll see at 10pm lads.

Can anyone else confirm this?

If it is so - I'll be the 1st to move out of this to TRUE. Who they are to dictate - where and when could I do my daily job [with OpenSource sources]?

And their "temporary SMTP problem" is still here for 2 or 3 years for now.

I think if TOT indeed blocks P2P - they'll be dead as a ISP, and very and VERY soon. Just a days, I bet.

Confirmed. ToT is blocking trackers in bittorrent. You can get around it by installing tor and directing your bittorrent client to use a proxy localhost:9050.

Woohoo! Azureus back up and running 134kBps, yay! Before was only 52k with encryption turned off and 0 with encryption turned on...

So quite a few of us with ToT are fine - and other are at least partially blocked or throttled. So what's the conclusion? Is it possible that this is being done at a local level - too much traffic at certain hubs perhaps? I'm OK in CM, but I live out a bit (near the airport) and not on a moobahn, so maybe I'm on a different subnet??? Perhaps this is even automatic???