Tot Blocking All Torrent Traffic

geoffphuket

I don't like metered service but wouldn't be too bothered if they had an option, unlimited vs. limited, with two different prices, kind of like some telephone plans. Metering freaks me out because the charge is so unpredictable, I wouldn't like the surprise of a 10K baht bill.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Private trackers still dead on Phuket - at least for me

Have you tried first to open a seed of a file you already have from the private tracker you are trying?

TheBox torrents from a few days ago and new ones, utorrent shows the tracker as not connected :(

Try turning off the modem for an extended period as TheBox and TheEmpire have restarted, both new & old, in the Gulf.

Yes, it appears to be working again.

gallery_35489_1129_4517.jpg

So what the hel_l was the last 3 days all about then?

TheBox torrents from a few days ago and new ones, utorrent shows the tracker as not connected :(

Delete the torrents and then reload them.

I am on TOT in Bangkok (I also have 2 TRUE lines and 1 CSLoxInfo line; all 3 of which continued to torrent fine.) and experienced the same outage as everyone else. TOT were blocking http connections to all the trackers I use. As of today I can connect to all those trackers and get peer information. Not sure what TOT were doing, expect it was some middle managers mistake?

For those who participate with private trackers, and struggle to maintain a ratio I would suggest a seedbox solution, which would also workaround the TOT type tracker blockage. There are several seedbox providers in Thailand and you can get a decent package for 3,600 THB per year. Some seedboxes also offer "booster shots" where you pay for X GB in a single burst. I'm trialling a seedbox Mimocolo next week.

Still not all working in Chiang Mai. EZTV, yes. Torrentday, asiatorrents, no.

I can access the EZTV website (it was down for ~ 2 days for maintenance), can download a torrent and that torrent can reach all the http trackers, which was not the case during the recent TOT blockade.

Edited by lomatopo

Because BBC iPlayer and ITVplayer are not accessible from outside the UK?

Well it works ok for me in Pattaya

That's exciting news! How are you accessing it?

I've just tried to view iPlayer and got this message (as I've been getting ever since iPlayer started) some years ago:

"Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only, but all BBC iPlayer Radio programmes are available to you."

Have you not been getting this messsage or have you found some way round it? I'm very interested to know!

I have heard of people using proxies with UK IP addresses to access iPlayer, but also that the Beeb are onto this and have managed to stop them.

However, TOT has returned to "normal" for me this morning and as The Box etc are up and running again I don't need iPlayer now. Having said that, if I could access it I'd prefer it to torrenting!

If you prefer please PM me with details of how you access it? You could make an old man very happy!

cheers

Wontok

PM sent, hope yer happy

Rapidshare type networks are another easy way to get programs free, works best when they have been uploaded to multiple networks and links are interchangeable, using jdownloaded I get speeds of up to 500 KB/s

Edited by wobblyjohn

No, I wasn't using a VPN, I was browsing the site with my ISP's IP and using uTorrent for the downloads, set to use Tor / Privoxy to resolve the hostnames of trackers.

The ISP was BuddyBroadband and this must have been about 3 years ago. All my torrents went red and they refused to admit they were blocking tracker connections even after I pointed out the fact that there were a dozen different trackers all unable to connect, at the same time, and yet when I used a proxy they all went green. In the end I moved to True as I got fed up of their lies but not before I had my old account closed down by thebox.

I've never heard of this rule and I'm a member at a lot of private trackers (proper paranoid ones that don't register many new members). Browsing, yes. The reason they don't want people browsing the site with proxies or TOR is these are commonly used methods for creating dupe accounts, account selling, invite trading etc. Plus they want to be able to ban you definitively for ratio cheating (either by banning your IP, or your entire IP range if they get really mad).

I connect to the trackers through various means: local client without VPN, sometimes with VPN if I happen to be using a VPN for some reason, remote client (running on an OVH server in France), all of which result in different IPs to the tracker. Never had an issue. The tracker identifies peers through passkeys, not IP addresses (although it is obviously aware of the IP, that's not what it's primarily looking for). If what you're saying is true, it would be impossible for anyone to be using seedboxes on private trackers and that very clearly isn't the case. Aside from that, the rule would also be pointless. A good example of how the distinction is applied practically is what happened at Waffles, who banned OVH IP addresses from accessing the website (because people were using their seedboxes with VPNs/SSH tunnels to browse the site), but still allow the OVH IP range access to the tracker.

Great question! I doubt we will find out. But I like my theory that they were testing what the result would be, reduced usage versus angry phone calls.

Yes, a bit like how governments "leak" plans to get a public reaction and if there is a big outcry they say it was just a "discussion document".

Maybe someone at TOT or CAT actually does know what they're doing and started to test the effect of new "blocking" technology.

Afterall, someone in Thailand knows enough to make this Internet map:

inetmap022010_domestic.png

Update from Sisaket, I've started 3 new downloads today. None is reaching more then 3.0kB/s dl speed, even less upload. The first I started 2 hours ago and have managed to download a massive 6.5mbs so far!!! All of them are very well seeded. Even though all the trackers are now working, they seem to have done something to limit speeds to the minimum.

No, I wasn't using a VPN, I was browsing the site with my ISP's IP and using uTorrent for the downloads, set to use Tor / Privoxy to resolve the hostnames of trackers.

The ISP was BuddyBroadband and this must have been about 3 years ago. All my torrents went red and they refused to admit they were blocking tracker connections even after I pointed out the fact that there were a dozen different trackers all unable to connect, at the same time, and yet when I used a proxy they all went green. In the end I moved to True as I got fed up of their lies but not before I had my old account closed down by thebox.

I've never heard of this rule and I'm a member at a lot of private trackers (proper paranoid ones that don't register many new members). Browsing, yes. The reason they don't want people browsing the site with proxies or TOR is these are commonly used methods for creating dupe accounts, account selling, invite trading etc. Plus they want to be able to ban you definitively for ratio cheating (either by banning your IP, or your entire IP range if they get really mad).

I connect to the trackers through various means: local client without VPN, sometimes with VPN if I happen to be using a VPN for some reason, remote client (running on an OVH server in France), all of which result in different IPs to the tracker. Never had an issue. The tracker identifies peers through passkeys, not IP addresses (although it is obviously aware of the IP, that's not what it's primarily looking for). If what you're saying is true, it would be impossible for anyone to be using seedboxes on private trackers and that very clearly isn't the case. Aside from that, the rule would also be pointless. A good example of how the distinction is applied practically is what happened at Waffles, who banned OVH IP addresses from accessing the website (because people were using their seedboxes with VPNs/SSH tunnels to browse the site), but still allow the OVH IP range access to the tracker.

If what I am saying is true? I can't think of any reason I would wish to make such a thing up! Anyway, if what am I saying is true it would mean you could not use seedboxes on thebox trackers, not that you couldn't use them on all private trackers - I think you're jumping to conclusions with no good reason there...

I could not say with 100% certainty that I was banned for using a proxy on tracker connections because unfortunately thebox don't bother telling you why you are banned or even that you have been. You simply find that your account no longer exists the next time you try to log in. However, it happened shortly after I started doing so, I had been using the a/c for some time before that without any problems and there was no other reason for them to delete it. I'm aware that they identify members by passkey and not IP (obviously, or most of us would not be able to join any sites, having dynamically assigned IP addresses as we do) but from memory I think the reason given on their forum was something to do with stats not being reported correctly with some proxy connections.

Update from Sisaket, I've started 3 new downloads today. None is reaching more then 3.0kB/s dl speed, even less upload. The first I started 2 hours ago and have managed to download a massive 6.5mbs so far!!! All of them are very well seeded. Even though all the trackers are now working, they seem to have done something to limit speeds to the minimum.

This thread has been more about TOT's blocking of http trackers, and not speed limiting. Even with TOT's tracker blockade I could still download at wirespeed (the maximum my line allows) from udp trackers and peer exchange. Now I can reach http trackers and my download speed remains wirespeed. Maybe you could start a new thread regarding your issues?

If what I am saying is true? I can't think of any reason I would wish to make such a thing up!

I don't doubt the veracity of what you're saying. I'm saying that it doesn't appear to be the case on most private trackers (in my experience) and that such a rule would be somewhat pointless anyway.

Avistaz (website and tracker) is now entirely blocked on True, so it's not just TOT. Working fine through a VPN.

I can get to avistaz on TRUE, TOT and CSLoxInfo; my account expired so I can't confirm tracker issues. Trackers go down all the time, can you ping it?

This thread has been more about TOT's blocking of http trackers, and not speed limiting. Even with TOT's tracker blockade I could still download at wirespeed (the maximum my line allows) from udp trackers and peer exchange. Now I can reach http trackers and my download speed remains wirespeed. Maybe you could start a new thread regarding your issues?

I mean no disrespect and thanks for your advice. I think we all agree so far today that the tracker issue has been resolved. Most posts including my own have stated that our trackers are now working. So should we now close this thread? What I'm attempting to point out is that whatever TOT have been up to over the past few days seems to have given them the ability to drastically limit torrent traffic, at least in my area and we should continue to try to find out what TOT are up to. I think this has some relevance to the thread, at least more so than proxies and seedboxes.

BTW TOT informed me today that they're not aware of any problems and are not limiting/blocking anything.

Edited by flexxx

I can get to avistaz on TRUE, TOT and CSLoxInfo; my account expired so I can't confirm tracker issues. Trackers go down all the time, can you ping it?

Ping is fine (VPN off). No connection to site or tracker (VPN off). It's definitely being filtered. I'm in BKK btw.

If what I am saying is true? I can't think of any reason I would wish to make such a thing up!

I don't doubt the veracity of what you're saying. I'm saying that it doesn't appear to be the case on most private trackers (in my experience) and that such a rule would be somewhat pointless anyway.

I cannot see the point either but thebox does have something of a reputation for instant bans with no explanations. If you read their site rules I believe they only refer to signing up with a proxy being against the rules, for the reasons you mentioned earlier, but there's not much one can do as they don't seem to like explaining themselves.

Back on topic, I am connected to trackers from demonoid, thebox and some public sites at the moment, with TOT in CM, although the download speed is obviously being throttled. Upload speeds do not seem to be any different though.

@Llareggub: You previously mentioned using T*R to get on the torrent bandwaggon again. Tried it, but whatever Proxy I configure Microtorrent, no result. Guess I am doing something wrong. Care to enlighten me/ PM maybe?

Sorry for the late reply

You need to download the integrated package,

here: http://www.torprojec...ownload.html.en

It already has the necessary proxy.

If you are using uTorrent, then you need to follow the details here!

http://joshdick.net/...king_bittorrent

That should get you going. (this is all you need to do from joshdick site - summarized)

If you're using µTorrent:

Start µTorrent and choose 'Preferences' from the 'Options' menu. Select 'Connection' from the pane on the left. In the 'Proxy Server' frame in the middle, select the 'SOCKS4' type from the dropdown menu. In the 'Proxy:' textbox, enter 127.0.0.1 (this is the IP of your own computer; µTorrent will connect to your proxy this way.)

In the 'Port:' box:

If you're using Tor, enter port 9050, which is Tor's default listening port. In case you're curious, you don't have to worry about Privoxy: it is used to add additional privacy when using Tor for web browsing.

Still inside the µTorrent preferences window, select 'BitTorrent' from the pane on the left. In the 'Protocol Encryption' frame on the bottom, choose 'Forced' from the 'Outgoing:' dropdown box. Make sure the 'Allow incoming legacy connections' checkbox is checked. Protocol encryption encrypts all BitTorrent traffic, masking it from your ISP (and hopefully causing your ISP to treat it as 'innocent' non-BitTorrent traffic.) You might find that simply enabling protocol encryption without using a proxy will be all you need to get BitTorrent working in your situation.

Finally, click 'apply'.

Edited by Llareggub

I wonder. Microsoft has just sent out a bunch of Windows Update late Tuesday. Did any of the these updates reset the limit to no. of half-open connections that affected torrent clients?

Here is the the link to the patch for Win 7 to change that limit - http://www.blogsdna.com/2719/windows-7-tcpipsys-auto-patcher-to-remove-tcpip-connection-limit.htm

I too have a max download of 40 by direct download at the moment (although it was 150+ this morning) and have been thinking of a seedbox. If I understand correctly I could download torrents very quickly to the seedbox (which would not be in Thailand) and then directly download the completed files from the seedbox, by FTP or something similar, to my home computer. With a fast connection that sounds great but wouldn't I face the same problems with TOT's slow connection and it would just take forever to download the files from the seedbox? I can see that it would be better than nothing at all if they block torrents entirely, but for those of us with a slow connection (even though we are paying for a fast one!) what is the advantage of a seedbox?

Any advice from those who understand these things would be very welcome, Not too many long words please.

I too have a max download of 40 by direct download at the moment (although it was 150+ this morning) and have been thinking of a seedbox. If I understand correctly I could download torrents very quickly to the seedbox (which would not be in Thailand) and then directly download the completed files from the seedbox, by FTP or something similar, to my home computer. With a fast connection that sounds great but wouldn't I face the same problems with TOT's slow connection and it would just take forever to download the files from the seedbox? I can see that it would be better than nothing at all if they block torrents entirely, but for those of us with a slow connection (even though we are paying for a fast one!) what is the advantage of a seedbox?

Any advice from those who understand these things would be very welcome, Not too many long words please.

@Llareggub: You previously mentioned using T*R to get on the torrent bandwaggon again. Tried it, but whatever Proxy I configure Microtorrent, no result. Guess I am doing something wrong. Care to enlighten me/ PM maybe?

Sorry for the late reply

You need to download the integrated package,

here: http://www.torprojec...ownload.html.en

It already has the necessary proxy.

If you are using uTorrent, then you need to follow the details here!

http://joshdick.net/...king_bittorrent

That should get you going. (this is all you need to do from joshdick site - summarized)

If you're using µTorrent:

Start µTorrent and choose 'Preferences' from the 'Options' menu. Select 'Connection' from the pane on the left. In the 'Proxy Server' frame in the middle, select the 'SOCKS4' type from the dropdown menu. In the 'Proxy:' textbox, enter 127.0.0.1 (this is the IP of your own computer; µTorrent will connect to your proxy this way.)

In the 'Port:' box:

If you're using Tor, enter port 9050, which is Tor's default listening port. In case you're curious, you don't have to worry about Privoxy: it is used to add additional privacy when using Tor for web browsing.

Still inside the µTorrent preferences window, select 'BitTorrent' from the pane on the left. In the 'Protocol Encryption' frame on the bottom, choose 'Forced' from the 'Outgoing:' dropdown box. Make sure the 'Allow incoming legacy connections' checkbox is checked. Protocol encryption encrypts all BitTorrent traffic, masking it from your ISP (and hopefully causing your ISP to treat it as 'innocent' non-BitTorrent traffic.) You might find that simply enabling protocol encryption without using a proxy will be all you need to get BitTorrent working in your situation.

Finally, click 'apply'.

Tnx man, you just busted my download speed! :bah: