New Video Application For Ipad

hughden

My previous favourite method for watching video on the iPad was Air Video, which streams video from your computer to the iPad; so much easier than converting video files to an acceptable iPad format. Now there is CineXplayer, which will play Xvid files directly on the iPad without requiring conversion. Moving your video files to the iPad is easy, just plug in the iPad and go to the apps tab for your device in iTunes, then drop the files into CineXplayer and they are added automatically to your iPad.

Video quality and sound are excellent; and the app is a free download.

That's AWESOME news, thanks! I will try... I was wondering why there wasn't a VLC version out for IPads/iPhones... I did a lot of Handbrake conversions but it's really a pain, it takes too long and not easy to set up batch conversion either (open source software usability...)...

Ohh... loving the included instruction video on how to put your files on the app. Very nice!

Edited by nikster

Ok, BIG letdown - I think this only works for DivX-encoded movies. Makes sense but that makes it useless to me.

I tried one random AVI file - not working. And one .mkv HD file - didn't even show up in the list. I wonder what's so hard about making a VLC app for iPads, one that simply plays all formats. VLC is open source, so all the codecs are there...

Goodbye, CineXPlayer!

I must have been lucky, every file I have wanted to watch, it handled OK. The were all TV shows or movies downloaded via torrents.

Air Video will convert/play mkv and mp4 files with no problem.

yxplayer, odplayer, and now cinexplayer are all a little hit and miss. They are streaming much better than earlier versions but I find the audio sync gets out of whack with many files. But some work great. Just depends how they were encoded from the beginning. True, Air Video still works great.

Yeah the good thing about VLC is that it plays everything. Period. Which is what I want. QuickTime plays pretty much nothing, but with perian installed it plays 90%. Good. Still, there are files that only VLC can play. Conversely, I have never encountered a file VLC didn't play.

So I am hoping VLC will make it to the iPAd. According to the oplayer people, a lot of video formats simply didn't work before the iPad / iPhone 4 because the processor was too slow. So I guess even if VLC makes it, there will be a severe hit on the battery playing software-decoded files. Only H.264 and whatever else Apple has hardware-accelerated via QuickTime will be power efficient to play. I guess I should automate Handbrake conversion for everything I download...

• 1 month later...

Yeah the good thing about VLC is that it plays everything. Period. Which is what I want. QuickTime plays pretty much nothing, but with perian installed it plays 90%. Good. Still, there are files that only VLC can play. Conversely, I have never encountered a file VLC didn't play.

So I am hoping VLC will make it to the iPAd. According to the oplayer people, a lot of video formats simply didn't work before the iPad / iPhone 4 because the processor was too slow. So I guess even if VLC makes it, there will be a severe hit on the battery playing software-decoded files. Only H.264 and whatever else Apple has hardware-accelerated via QuickTime will be power efficient to play. I guess I should automate Handbrake conversion for everything I download...

VLC is now available for the iPad and iPhone.

VLC is now available for the iPad and iPhone.

...and it is riddled with bugs! Don't bother.

• 1 month later...

Have you had consistent streaming with Air Video? Worked for me for about 2 days but now videos don't load at all, I can see the preview screen but the video does not start to play. Coincidently, my WDTV Live also (connected wirelessly) has stopped being able to play video. For both items though I can view folders and items, do you have guys have any key setups in your wireless networks?

• 2 weeks later...

As mentionned,VLC is buggy

No sound on one movie.Other one freeze every 10 minutes.....

So decided to try conversion to MP4

Actually trying Amersoft video converter ultimate

Now that I have a Ipad MP4 version I try to enter it in Ipad.

BUT Itunes never downloaded the video clips I had on PC.

When I try to download in Movie HD...nothing

Any idea how to resolve this????

What app to use????

I finally have found a solution to watch my AVI movies on Ipad

1 I use Daniusoft Ipad video converter (19$+ tax) to convert from avi to Ipad optimised MPG4 on my PC

Seems to have a little loss of visual quality.Perfectly acceptable

I converted a batch of movies during night

2 I use yxplayer2 lite (free app on Itunes) to watch the movie

Not yet had time to look a full movie.Will do tomorrow.If any problem,I will share here

By the way,Itunes is really not user friendly when searching an app.

It is only a part of the "apple cash aspirator philosophy"

• 2 weeks later...

1 I use Daniusoft Ipad video converter (19 tax) to convert from avi to Ipad optimised MPG4 on my PC

Seems to have a little loss of visual quality.Perfectly acceptable

I converted a batch of movies during night

Why pay for a program to convert files? Handbrake (Google it) does it perfectly, and is FREE!!!! :)