A River Thought

Gonzo the Face

I have been in CM for 20 some odd years.

I have never seen as much ' greenery ' growing in and on the river as I have this year.

Within the past week or two, the gov't or someone has been using a barge borne long armed boom to scrape down the banks and set the green vines and roots, etc afloat on the river.

I just came back from the Muang Mai Mkt and the river is up a bit and a virtual sea of the green floating vine crap is lolling down the river.

Anyone down by the weir/dam on the river towards Nong Hok, ... Is this greenery getting caught up in the weir and building up???? If it is just a start and continues to collect along with silt/mud build up, we could be in for a bit of high water.....

whataya think???

Gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes,

You are quite right!

I was driving along the river this morning and was amazed by the 'floating Greenery and the height of the river.

This was past the weir/dam - so I guess that much of it is going up and over the top. When I came to the underpass of the airport road, it looked like some water was starting to seep into the tunnel.

Could be here we go again....

We get about 4 more nights of this and some idiot to open up the gates at a reservoir or two it could be 2005 all over again.:whistling:

Is the story of resevoir gates being opened in 2005 confirmed? Its just the river flooded 3 times that year. Once could be seen as a mistake, but 3 times?

We are very concened at the rivers height and the lack of dredging since 2007.

We get about 4 more nights of this and some idiot to open up the gates at a reservoir or two it could be 2005 all over again.:whistling:

Is the story of resevoir gates being opened in 2005 confirmed? Its just the river flooded 3 times that year. Once could be seen as a mistake, but 3 times?

We are very concened at the rivers height and the lack of dredging since 2007.

For those of us that were around then it's confirmed. Now that Buds' of San Francisco took out their booth next to McD's at Loi Khro and Chang Klan Road I understand there is a new shop going in that will rent life rafts, kayaks, tyre tubs and scuba gear.:D

A lot of the area between Chang klan and the street that runs into Hang Dong road was awash with water this morning (0700 or so). Last nights rain tested the drainage system past the efficient stage. Maybe the city needs a quick clean out of the plastic, etc in the drains. Maybe the new major felt the drought was going to eliminate the need for rainy season preparation.

A lot of the area between Chang klan and the street that runs into Hang Dong road was awash with water this morning (0700 or so). Last nights rain tested the drainage system past the efficient stage. Maybe the city needs a quick clean out of the plastic, etc in the drains. Maybe the new major felt the drought was going to eliminate the need for rainy season preparation.

Withe the recycle program the mayor has introduced the city could make a fortune on your idea.

I've also noticed a lot more floating plants than ever before. They were moving pretty good tonight as it looks like the Mae Ping might be getting ready to flood a bit. When I went under the Super Highway south of the Holiday Inn area, water was gushing into the underpass pretty fast. Lot's of folks looking at the river as well. Any one else living near the river want to report on the levels?

I've also noticed a lot more floating plants than ever before. They were moving pretty good tonight as it looks like the Mae Ping might be getting ready to flood a bit. When I went under the Super Highway south of the Holiday Inn area, water was gushing into the underpass pretty fast. Lot's of folks looking at the river as well. Any one else living near the river want to report on the levels?

I live on 19th floor of Riverside Condo over looking the river. The river seems to be flowing faster than it ever did last rainy season. The level is up a considerable amount as well, as compared to about a week ago.

I saw the barge ship a few weeks ago clearing the vegetation, etc up river on the other side of the Nong Hoi bridge, but it never made it to this side. There have been big clumps of vegetation floating past the last few days and alot more today.

-Mestizo

Thanks Mestizo and Joop for those reports. Five years ago the flooding was so bad that the Night Bizarre was under a meter of water. Pumps running everywhere after the river receded. It hasn't been the same kind of rainy season this year though I don't think. Back then, there were days of non-stop rain that you could feel pushing down your umbrella. Let's hope the Mother Ping can stay within her banks! She is certainly running higher than normal.

The areas that are being reported have been notoriously known for flooding in the Chiang Mai area. In 2005 there were three basic reasons for the floods, 5 days of straight rains, officials opening flood gates and releasing extra water into the Ping River when it was at flood stage AND these reservoirs were full, no draught. These same reservoirs are not half full at the moment so hopefully what flooding there is may and will be localized.

gotlost, don't worry about opening the spill gates as there's no water in the reservoirs anyway. Take a ride up to Mae Ngat dam and see for yourself.

gotlost, don't worry about opening the spill gates as there's no water in the reservoirs anyway. Take a ride up to Mae Ngat dam and see for yourself.

I was at the dam today at Doi Saket. It's not going to happen. It would have to rain 40 days and 40 nights to fill the reservoir. The offical that opened the flood gates, he received a promotion and that's why Bangkok is sinking.:lol:

• Like 1

I was at the dam today at Doi Saket. It's not going to happen. It would have to rain 40 days and 40 nights to fill the reservoir. The offical that opened the flood gates, he received a promotion and that's why Bangkok is sinking.:lol:

That seems to sound somewhat familiar.....

Well its just about 22:00 and the rain is pizzing down and now the roll of thunder..... oh why did I listen to you guys and stop work on the dang boat... :huh:

The Ping river comes from dozens of drainage basins, only a very few which happen to have dams on them. The main reason for the 2005 flooding (from what I understand from an in-law and ag official in Mae Taeng) is that the Mae Taeng river basin which drains into the Ping river near Mae Taeng got a huge amount of sustained rain. That large basin has no large dam (just a small canal diversion dike), and the water actually caused flooding in the Ping Valley above where it flows into the Ping. (It back-flowed up toward Mae Ngat Dam in the big wide valley up there). The water could not all go down the Ping, but when it did, that caused flooding in Chiang Mai.

As I write this, the heaviest rains of the season are occurring here. Yikes. Hopefully Gonzo will build a big boat!

The Ping river comes from dozens of drainage basins, only a very few which happen to have dams on them. The main reason for the 2005 flooding (from what I understand from an in-law and ag official in Mae Taeng) is that the Mae Taeng river basin which drains into the Ping river near Mae Taeng got a huge amount of sustained rain. That large basin has no large dam (just a small canal diversion dike), and the water actually caused flooding in the Ping Valley above where it flows into the Ping. (It back-flowed up toward Mae Ngat Dam in the big wide valley up there). The water could not all go down the Ping, but when it did, that caused flooding in Chiang Mai.

As I write this, the heaviest rains of the season are occurring here. Yikes. Hopefully Gonzo will build a big boat!

Yep the 2005 flood was from torrential rain in the Chiang Dao - Phrao area.

Check out these photos & trip report on GT Rider.

Check out ..... http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/148/news.shtml

The system will not let me post because of too many photos. Check out the boat in front of McD's

Gotlost & David... Thanks for posting those links to photos. That sure is a trip down memory lake! The photos from 1095 and Pai are incredible. Never realized there was so much damage in the outlying areas.

Thanks Mestizo and Joop for those reports. Five years ago the flooding was so bad that the Night Bizarre was under a meter of water. Pumps running everywhere after the river receded. It hasn't been the same kind of rainy season this year though I don't think. Back then, there were days of non-stop rain that you could feel pushing down your umbrella. Let's hope the Mother Ping can stay within her banks! She is certainly running higher than normal.

..remember it well..post-3017-009683500 1281659981_thumb.jpgpost-3017-022993700 1281660016_thumb.jpg

..remember it well..post-3017-009683500 1281659981_thumb.jpgpost-3017-022993700 1281660016_thumb.jpg

Burger King is on that corner now in back of the bike.

Hope things do not get that bad as the city can not afford it after the bad time it has just had.

I think most of us who have been in Chiang Mai for a while would agree this has been a typical monsoon season so far, albiet starting late. Our wettest month is yet to come and that's were we need to be watchful of typhoons coming across Vietnam and dumping on us. After two years of less than normal rainfall, I hope the gods are kind to us and not over do it, yet fill the reservoirs once more.

Hope things do not get that bad as the city can not afford it after the bad time it has just had.

I think most of us who have been in Chiang Mai for a while would agree this has been a typical monsoon season so far, albiet starting late. Our wettest month is yet to come and that's were we need to be watchful of typhoons coming across Vietnam and dumping on us. After two years of less than normal rainfall, I hope the gods are kind to us and not over do it, yet fill the reservoirs once more.

By the statistics of www.tmd.go.th/en which is the only organization in Thailand that I can find that keeps this information. August, this month, is by history the wettest month for Chiang Mai. Other areas in Thailand have a different month, example Surin wettest is September.

The Ping rose a little over 8 inches from midnight last night and is still rising. There are flood warnings issued by the water management board for low lying areas.

I can believe the warning. According to www.tmd.go.th/en we received locally another 40.9 mm of rain with a 70% chance of more to day. Keep your boats handy.

Altough there fell a lot of rain yesterday evening and a part of the night, the water level of the ditches are clear falling.

I wonder if they have an open connection with the river? I live not one year in Ciang Mai yet and on this spot only 41/2 months now.

Altough there fell a lot of rain yesterday evening and a part of the night, the water level of the ditches are clear falling.

I wonder if they have an open connection with the river? I live not one year in Ciang Mai yet and on this spot only 41/2 months now.

When you say ditches are you talking about irrigation canals. The water in these is directed by the irrigation district and is rerouted where it is needed constantly. I see this on a daily bases. What I see here in Doi Saket is some local flooding because of the excess run off by the rains in the irrigation canals but the water level in the primary canals stay at the same level. There is some problem when it gets to the secondary canals. Unfortunately this is of little concern for a few areas in town that are notoriously known for being in a flood plane.