A River Thought

Gonzo the Face

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody say "Real Time"

It is now 6:30 Saturday morn the 14th and chart is showing latest at 20:00 yesterday...

but it does say only in critical time...... I guess the fact that its not yet covering the bridges means its not critical ..... now I can rest easy and have a good breakfast.

G

Somebody say "Real Time"

It is now 6:30 Saturday morn the 14th and chart is showing latest at 20:00 yesterday...

but it does say only in critical time...... I guess the fact that its not yet covering the bridges means its not critical ..... now I can rest easy and have a good breakfast.

G

Do you just hold a frying pan out and wait for the wish to jump in now?

Do you just hold a frying pan out and wait for the wish to jump in now?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Harry,

In our minds you are a Haiku Poet !

And, look: your "Haiku" is only one syllable "over" seventeen syllables, and almost neatly divides into the classic three line 5-5-7 syllable form !

Do you just hold a

frying pan out and

wait for the wish to jump in now ?

Of course we would never suggest you alter even a jot or a tittle of what the Wisdom of Ur-Orang, that has spoken through the gate opened by your goodness of heart and creativity, hath spake.

best, ~o:37;

p.s. With humility to anyone who is Japanese or a "Haiku purist," we acknowledge we are using the term "Haiku" here very, very loosely compared to its "classic" tradition; the same way we often use our minds.

Edited by orang37

OF COURSE it was the volume of rain that caused the floods. Unfortunately it was exacerbated by release of water from already full dams coincidentally.

The "reason" for releasing water from the already full dam could be that it was necessary because the dam was full (so you either release or have it overflow). The concern of the dam operators that trying to retain any more water could cause the dam to fail was stated at the time but of course is subject to question/human error.

Somebody say "Real Time"

G

Check it out again GF the old boy went to bed. It's being updated as I wright and the water level is going down.:D

http://hydro-1.com/index.php?id=61&rivercode=0602

Somebody say "Real Time"

G

Check it out again GF the old boy went to bed. It's being updated as I wright and the water level is going down.:D

http://hydro-1.com/index.php?id=61&rivercode=0602

Must have had some rain upriver somewhere, as there didn't seem to any amount of rain to be concerned yesterday in my area, yet the river level went up overnight,,,,, slightly but reversed the level drop that was pretty steady.

G

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Gonzo.... I heard there was some minor flooding in Chiang Dao three days ago, so maybe that water is finally making it down to Chiang Mai. Four days ago there was a bit of flash flooding behind Doi Kham in Chiang Mai. Water was deep enough to go over a few bridges causing the pavement to get a bit undermined. I took a long mountain bike ride south of the Sameong road yesterday toward Op Khan and there were many places where the water gushed down the mountains causing erosion and lots of mud to ride through. The rains certainly were widespread.

So ... What kind of dish can you come up with to be named THE FLOATING GREEN STUFF.?:lol:

Watercress & Wasabi soup, with green croutons ? B)

Upon further thought, might I propose a new name, for this dish ... 'Primeval Sludge' has a nice fashionably-vegetarian 'ring' to it. :blink::lol:

Oh, and it should have chips on-the-side, for us Brits/Poms/Limeys. B)

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

Speaking of "flash flooding:" did you see the dramatic picture of traffic-moving-through-flooding near Rajabhat U. in Chiang Mai in that "other" English-language Thai newspaper* that we never mention ? Assume this was the Chang Phuak area Campus, not the Institute, but not sure.

*Hint: search on "Northeast gets flood warning."

So ... What kind of dish can you come up with to be named THE FLOATING GREEN STUFF.?:lol:

Not at Pun Pun. You do not get those little bits of croutons there. A pun pun crouton would be a whole slab of fried bread.

Not at Pun Pun. You do not get those little bits of croutons there. A pun pun crouton would be a whole slab of fried bread.

What u say Harry???? Isn't that normal ???

As to the green concoction, I offter the name.....' Soylent Green ' soup....served with French Bread Garlic Toast... with your chef , none other than Charlton Heston

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

Speaking of "flash flooding:" did you see the dramatic picture of traffic-moving-through-flooding near Rajabhat U. in Chiang Mai in that "other" English-language Thai newspaper* that we never mention ? Assume this was the Chang Phuak area Campus, not the Institute, but not sure.

*Hint: search on "Northeast gets flood warning."

this is just a random picture I found that may happen to be related to whatever you're saying.

170895.jpg

As to the green concoction, I offter the name.....' Soylent Green ' soup....served with French Bread Garlic Toast... with your chef , none other than Charlton Heston

Made only with fresh vegetarians, one hopes, Gonzo ? :unsure:

Members of Greenpeace I presume.

Members of Greenpeace I presume.

Oh, I don't know guys,,,,,about vegetarians being fresh........ maybe a little bit naughty & spoiled , but not fresh,,,,

As Ide Amin used to say,,,,,,, " I like vegetarians, Had one for lunch.....

:)

.....and Harry have you really honestly ever seen a Greenpiece ???? Huh Huh

Edited by ThePunPun

And back to the river boys...... It always seemed that in the years immediately after the flooding the sand bags came out as soon as rainy season started just in case - like 'We're not gonna let this happen again.' Now the river level's so high and the rains are probably just getting going, and no sand bags anywhere in town. By my memory this is the first year that everybody seems to have let their guard down and maybe it's gonna be just the year that they shouldn't have.

And back to the river boys...... It always seemed that in the years immediately after the flooding the sand bags came out as soon as rainy season started just in case - like 'We're not gonna let this happen again.' Now the river level's so high and the rains are probably just getting going, and no sand bags anywhere in town. By my memory this is the first year that everybody seems to have let their guard down and maybe it's gonna be just the year that they shouldn't have.

Like 2006 the year after the big flood everybody and their brothers built concrete dyke's about half a meter high all over Warorot Market, Chang Klan Rood and the side soi's to protect their businesses. You had to step up and over to go in to most businesses/ After 1 season they started to take them out. If you look closely there are still some of these around.

I went across the Ping river here at Khampaeng Phet this morning and it is a long way up from a couple of weeks ago.

The same at Nakhon Sawan where the Ping joins the Nan river to become the Chao Phraya and that is well up also.

• 2 weeks later...

River level seems to have leveled off and just a small bit down.

Just wanted to bring this link forward and handy again just in case.

http://hydro-1.com/i...&rivercode=0602

Gonzo

Hear is a new link the old seems broke. http://hydro-1.com/i...&rivercode=0602

good news..... seems to be going down....

but now to my question.... what is the difference between the 2 pasted links.... I looked and looked and cannot see any difference

gonzo

River level seems to have leveled off and just a small bit down.

Just wanted to bring this link forward and handy again just in case.

http://hydro-1.com/i...&rivercode=0602

Gonzo

Hear is a new link the old seems broke. http://hydro-1.com/i...&rivercode=0602

good news..... seems to be going down....

but now to my question.... what is the difference between the 2 pasted links.... I looked and looked and cannot see any difference

gonzo

Not for me.:lol: But remember I like to break things.:lol:

And at what point along the meter scale does it equal a flooding stage ? 3? 3.5? 5?

A lot , of course , depends on where you are on the river and what the riverbank situation is at that point.

For me with my river front park area, as best as I can remember, its somewhere about 2.8 - 3 m...

and again with some memory abot 4.6 its in my office.

Gonzo

• Like 1

Wasn't it 2.9+ the other day? Your feet must almost have been wet :rolleyes:

Incidentally, is there a graph or something with recent history of the river level? I can't see one but I did find that the Thai menu on the left has English translations if you hover the mouse over the buttons and from there you can access stuff like rainfall charts of the region.

The Mae Khaaw (which I'm told is the second biggest river in the area of the City, although considerably smaller than the Ping) is at by far its highest level in the four years I've been here. I expect that some areas near where it crosses the Mae Jo road are flooded, because some of these areas are not that high.