A River Thought

Gonzo the Face

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Are we out of a draught?"

PLEASE, please, say it ain't so!!!:lol:

Just love typos. Appreciate your knowledge about this and yer postings, as I am new here and didn't have many links to such info. A ton of folks have no interest or clue about the reservoirs and their relationship, like the rains, to the welfare of tens of millions.

T'anks. Tankards. It's time to check, maybe.

Edited by CMX

"Are we out of a draught?"

PLEASE, please, say it ain't so!!!:lol:

Just love typos. Appreciate your knowledge about this and yer postings, as I am new here and didn't have many links to such info. A ton of folks have no interest or clue about the reservoirs and their relationship, like the rains, to the welfare of tens of millions.

T'anks. Tankards. It's time to check, maybe.

:burp::cheesy:

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Mae Ping is going up again. Wife's cousins called from Mae Taeng to say it is going over its banks down in the valley.

Notice it yesterday that it was going back up, not as high as last month but we are still in the wet season any anything could happen.

I was just starting to get concerned again. The water looked pretty high at the Mahidol Bridge at 1pm, and I notice it has risen the best part of 40cm since then at Narawat Bridge.

http://hydro-1.com/i...&rivercode=0602

Did anyone establish at what height it would be flooding on this web site for Narawat bridge?

Iain

Those figures are up where it was last month when we had problems. We have had some big rains the past two nights out hear in Doi Saket and as we" finger speak":lol: its has been raining for the past hour. Has anyone told GF to keep his boat handy.:lol:

I was just starting to get concerned again. The water looked pretty high at the Mahidol Bridge at 1pm, and I notice it has risen the best part of 40cm since then at Narawat Bridge.

http://hydro-1.com/i...&rivercode=0602

Did anyone establish at what height it would be flooding on this web site for Narawat bridge?

Iain

The above website says 3.70 meters. Its pouring hear in Doi Saket. I wonder what its doing up river?

Passing under the Mahidol bridge today by the river, things was lookin' awfully high - higher than RTD anecdotally remembers from a cpl weeks ago. From what I saw, another foot higher and we're in for some splishin' n splashin'.

Incidentally, I know of a flood marker on Charoen Prathet over by Sacred Heart School that has measurements beginning around 4.1m high. It's about 100m from the river too, so..... it's gonna get interesting if things reach up close to 4m height soon. We shall see.......

I thank we have a serious descripance. 5.69 M at Sk.  4.9 M at Lampang and 2.43 M at Narawat Noon today.:unsure:

I presume these measurements are depths of the rivers. San Kamphaeng & Narawat br are on different rivers.   Also,surely, quite natural for the depth to vary along a river, as the width of the channel varies? Am I missing something? 

I thank we have a serious descripance. 5.69 M at Sk. 4.9 M at Lampang and 2.43 M at Narawat Noon today.:unsure:

I presume these measurements are depths of the rivers. San Kamphaeng & Narawat br are on different rivers. Also,surely, quite natural for the depth to vary along a river, as the width of the channel varies? Am I missing something?

You get an A Plus for the test.:D

I thank we have a serious descripance. 5.69 M at Sk.  4.9 M at Lampang and 2.43 M at Narawat Noon today.:unsure:

I presume these measurements are depths of the rivers. San Kamphaeng & Narawat br are on different rivers.   Also,surely, quite natural for the depth to vary along a river, as the width of the channel varies? Am I missing something?

You get an A Plus for the test.:D

I'll be happy not to get flooded.

Just as an add on to the last..... in 2005, after the flood, there was a huge amount of mud, which was basically top soil . Right after that flood and the receding of the waters, we did in fact plant a few garden spots at The Pun Pun , as it was indeed good top soil....

now to the Johnny Cash Song

"Five Feet High And Rising"

My mama always taught me that good things come from adversity if we put our faith in the Lord.

We couldn't see much good in the flood waters when they

were causing us to have to leave home,

But when the water went down, we found that it had washed a load of rich black bottom dirt across our land. The following year we had the best cotton crop we'd ever had.

I remember hearing:

How high's the water, mama?

Two feet high and risin'

How high's the water, papa?

Two feet high and risin'

We can make it to the road in a homemade boat

That's the only thing we got left that'll float

It's already over all the wheat and the oats,

Two feet high and risin'

Three feet high and risin'

Well, the hives are gone,

I've lost my bees

The chickens are sleepin'

In the willow trees

Cow's in water up past her knees,

Four feet high and risin'

Four feet high and risin'

Hey, come look through the window pane,

The bus is comin', gonna take us to the train

Looks like we'll be blessed with a little more rain,

4 feet high and risin'

Five feet high and risin'

Well, the rails are washed out north of town

We gotta head for higher ground

We can't come back till the water comes down,

Well, it's five feet high and risin'

Edited by Gonzo the Face

If the rest of the Kuang catchment got what we received in the last hour, then there's problems on the way.  The irrigation canals in the fields, have not gone down since Sunday nights storm.  The Kuang river is still at its highest (within 4cm).  Where does the latest downpour go?  6 hrs of pumping out my fishpond yesterday, refilled in 1 hr, about 20cm worth  :(

South of San Kamphaeng , the Kuang was less than 1 m from the banks, before this latest storm.

I thank we have a serious descripance. 5.69 M at Sk. 4.9 M at Lampang and 2.43 M at Narawat Noon today.:unsure:

The one figure is the depth, which is of course variable per location, but I believe the second figures is cubic meters per second which can give a better picture of the volume.

Don'tcha just love the dedication that some of these govt or hydro reporting site show to their profession.....

Here we are in very possibly pre flood times with the river coming up, and with a trememdous amount of rain in the area yesterday and last night, if its time to go home, its time to go home.....

To many locals show this trait...... lack of pride and dedication in their job and/or the work they do...... do just enough..... do only what you have to..... but make sure someone sees you so you get the image of realllllll y working. Image over substance...

I can see not making the hourly reports in non threatening times, but not when things are so critical.....

BAD SHOWING SLACKERS

well anyhow got that off my chest.

Gonzo

Don'tcha just love the dedication that some of these govt or hydro reporting site show to their profession.....

Here we are in very possibly pre flood times with the river coming up, and with a trememdous amount of rain in the area yesterday and last night, if its time to go home, its time to go home.....

To many locals show this trait...... lack of pride and dedication  in their job and/or the work they do...... do just enough..... do only what you have to..... but make sure someone sees you so you get the image of realllllll y  working.   Image over substance...

I can see not making the hourly reports in non threatening times, but not when things are so critical.....

BAD SHOWING SLACKERS

Gonzo

I agree with you Mr G

Perhaps you could volunteer to do the night shift  :)

To many locals show this trait...... lack of pride and dedication  in their job and/or the work they do...... do just enough..... do only what you have to..... but make sure someone sees you so you get the image of realllllll y  working.   Image over substance...

BAD SHOWING SLACKERS

Gonzo

I agree with you Mr G

Perhaps you could volunteer to do the night shift  :)

As they say down south....... M E you is a MES.....

Rest assured , while I am on duty, I will notify all by post jes as soon as my feets gets wet.

:blink:

To many locals show this trait...... lack of pride and dedication in their job and/or the work they do...... do just enough..... do only what you have to..... but make sure someone sees you so you get the image of realllllll y working. Image over substance...

BAD SHOWING SLACKERS

Gonzo

They must of heard and saw your post. They are back up and reporting. You can take a break now and start cooking that southern meal.:D