Hilton Hotel @ Central Beach

FarangBuddha

It looks like the Hilton Hotel atop the Central Beach mall is looking to open sometime in October this year. I saw that they had posters put up in the elevators of the mall advertising for staff, with the October opening date being mentioned.

Maybe we can hope for a decent resto or two at the new hotel...along with maybe some sort of view lobby-bar.

However, it does seem like a crazy time to be opening a hotel (I know, it was planned years ago before the Great Recession) but still, hard to see how they'll make any money when hotels like the Sabai group are offering perfectly acceptable rooms at discount prices of B1000 or so a nite.

When the Empire State Building opened in New York during the Great Depression it was called the Empty State Building for many years. I'm sure a big chain like Hilton is taking the long view and it's a good sign that they see Pattaya as a good long term bet.

Brand awarness , people will stay at the hilton purly because it is the hilton , also I think there rooms will have cracking views .. Anyone know what the avrg cost will be there ?

No costs on website yet, not that I found anyway, not accepting reservations yet but I wonder if they will have a special opening offer, I remember the Holiday Inn opening and it was around half price for a room when it first opened..

Below website addy and address, rooms seem quite nice..

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/BKKHPHI-Hilton-Pattaya/index.do

Hilton Pattaya

333/101 Moo 9 Nong Prue Banglamung, Pattaya Chonburi, Thailand 20260

Tel: 66-2-6675666 Fax: 66-2-6675667

Hilton Hotel, Sabai group - you really need to get out more Farang Buddah!!

Sabai Empress on Second Road IMHO is value for money and a very nice room for less than 1250 baht per night during promotion...Might not be the Hilton but well worth the price IMO...

Edited by MB1

When the Empire State Building opened in New York during the Great Depression it was called the Empty State Building for many years. I'm sure a big chain like Hilton is taking the long view and it's a good sign that they see Pattaya as a good long term bet.

I think Hilton is realy good with it's long term views on Thailand. :whistling:

Let me give you some examples:

When you drive to bangkok and you enter the elevated highway,after 5 km you will see on your right side a newly built village with 2 highrise buildings.Everything is empty since the day it was built,some 10 years ago.The 2 unoccupied highrises are a Hilton hotel.

Hilton has a hotel in Huahin for more then 10 years.Ever heard about Huahin being busy?

You should take a look at how busy the Amari, Centara Grand Mirage and Holiday Inn are these days! The domestic business from Bangkok will keep the hotel going through the leaner times and the Russian and Middle Eastern guests will just be the icing on the cake. Thais love trying out new hotels and there are plenty in Bangkok who could afford it, I think it's something to do with this 'Face' thing, they love showing off to their friends with their 'one up manship'.

It's plain to see that Pattaya doesn't experience High or Low seasons anymore, it's the demographics of the visitors that has changed. I see many Middle Eastern visitors this time of year to escape the 50 degree heat, the Russians come during winter to escape the minus 50 degree cold! For some business' there must be a high and a low, because they cater for specific nationalities usually. If someone came up with a business model that worked on attracting every nationality they'd be on to a winner. Problem is with so much hatred, racisicm and differing religious opions it's nigh on impossible to find harmony.

How about someone leasing a property on Walking Street and operated as an Indian Restaurant from April - June, converting it into a Middle Eastern Restaurant from July to the end of September. When October comes the weather usually starts cooling down a bit and so you could open a European Restaurant until December. From January to April turn it into a Vodka bar where you can lick Beluga Caviar of willing Russian ladies.

You should take a look at how busy the Amari, Centara Grand Mirage and Holiday Inn are these days!

That's a very good point, we wanted to try the Centara Grand a few weeks ago but couldn't get in as it was full, it was a weekend but not a holiday weekend, twice we have been unable to get into the Holiday Inn.

You should take a look at how busy the Amari, Centara Grand Mirage and Holiday Inn are these days!

That's a very good point, we wanted to try the Centara Grand a few weeks ago but couldn't get in as it was full, it was a weekend but not a holiday weekend, twice we have been unable to get into the Holiday Inn.

You'll usually find the Amari is fully booked or running at around 95% occupancy. They did reduce their prices a while ago and now have many, many bookings from Indians on package tours. Amari, if you didn't know already is Indian owned.

fantastic hotels them, the amari is great with mantra, the holiday inn is brand new and on the beach, and ive never seen a holiday inn that size before. then there is centara, i dont know what to write to be honest. simply stunning.

the city is definately on the up. maybe be more expensive, but thats a good thing in my opinion. in the long term we will get more for our investments.

You'll usually find the Amari is fully booked or running at around 95% occupancy. They did reduce their prices a while ago and now have many, many bookings from Indians on package tours. Amari, if you didn't know already is Indian owned.

These are good points of view from people on the ground...I don't actually have any idea of occupancy numbers for these newish hotels being a resident of Pattaya myself. It's really interesting to hear that the huge Centara Grand is packing them in...would be interesting to know what the average price per room/nite is. I would guess it lots of package-tours and Thai resident specials so there may not be too much money in such visitors. But a paying bum in the bed for the nite is a room-nite not wasted so it's all good.

I'm sure these large hotels are doing a good MICE business as well with both Thai companies and regional corporations as well. Europe and the USA may be flat on their backs economically but China, India, Aus., Indo., and Thailand itself are putting up really good growth numbers so there is plenty of money around for companies operating in these economies to throw a party for their employees.

We stayed at the Amari last summer, got a great rate. The place was packed with South Asians. From your statement, I am guessing Indian? It was a bit unsettling as the lobby was always packed with men...all staring at the women walking around. My wife was very uncomfortable...but the hotel was a great value.

I recall reading it was a franchise/mangement agreement. Hilton name used, but Central owns the "hotel" and has made the investment. This may be true of other Hilton's around the globe.

You are correct. Many of the larger chain hotels are actually just using the name, but are owned by others. Hilton and Marriott are 2 great example. That's why you see them change from one name to another fairly frequently...as in the case in Hua Hin. I do like that Hilton. A bit too big for me, but great views! And great location. The Marriott is a bit of a long walk to get into town....

8,000 for a place to sleep one night. No thanks. Not even if it manages to stay up without collapsing.

The best rate I am finding for early February is Bt 4,760++ for a pre-paid reservation.

I wonder if they will be guest friendly.

8,000 for a place to sleep one night. No thanks. Not even if it manages to stay up without collapsing.

The best rate I am finding for early February is Bt 4,760++ for a pre-paid reservation.

I wonder if they will be guest friendly.

Rack-rates...opening specials and locally advertised rates will likely be 30-40% less.

You can be a franchisee of Hilton Hotels, Sabai Group in this case.

I took Sabai group to mean the Sabai Lodge, Sabai Wing etc around soi 1 and 2, they have rooms for under 1000 baht / night, i meant they are not in the same sort of leauge as Hilton Hotels group, But if you are telling me these hotels are a franchise of Hilton Hotels i stand corrected, i doubt it like?

You can be a franchisee of Hilton Hotels, Sabai Group in this case.

I took Sabai group to mean the Sabai Lodge, Sabai Wing etc around soi 1 and 2, they have rooms for under 1000 baht / night, i meant they are not in the same sort of leauge as Hilton Hotels group, But if you are telling me these hotels are a franchise of Hilton Hotels i stand corrected, i doubt it like?

I think Buddy was telling that the new hilton is run by the Sabai group,which I think is not correct.