Makro- Chiang Rai

kandahar

I like the bakery in Makro especially almond slices and danish pastry. I go for the 2 lit red wine at 4.35 - plonk really but drinkable. Just downed a couple of big glasses so have a bit of difficulty posting this.

Tried their so called Cumberland sausages - Yuk mai alloh!

Mrs Lman sells at the Thurs market at Bandu and I often pop into Makro for a few items. Check-outs 1 and 2 are for 10 items or less and even yesterday - mum's day holiday the place was seething with people but I got though the quick check-out very quickly.

I don't speak Thai. What is Yuk mai alloh? I bought Cumberland thin today. Never had them before. Just wanted to try my luck.

Question: Aloi Mae? =How does it taste?

Answer: Aloi = taste okay

Answer: Aloi Mak = taste very good

Answer: Mae Aloi = does not taste good

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

อร่อย = aroy = tasty

Clearly spelled with a trilled "r" but you would be hard pressed to find a Thai around here who is capable of pronouncing it that way, let alone a farang (also with a trilled "r" by the way). :)

I've never heard my family pitch it with an R yet, even though I know that is how its supposed to be prounced the Aloi B)

Edited by Garry

Question: Aloi Mae? =How does it taste?

Answer: Aloi = taste okay

Answer: Aloi Mak = taste very good

Answer: Mae Aloi = does not taste good

I thought it was:

Question: Aloi Mai krap? =How does it taste?

Answer: Aloi krap = taste okay

Answer: Aloi Mak krap = taste very good

Answer: Mai Aloi krap = does not taste good

But I do not speak Thai! :blink:

I bought 1 kilo of Frankfurter sausages in Northern farm 10 days ago.

They were good, actually aroi mak mak krap! :P

I also bought 4 different types of Kavli bread, the large thin crackers.

Very good the day I can find good cheese here in Chiang Rai.

<_<:D:rolleyes:

Kandahar ... Photo-wise, This will be the begining of a beautiful friendship.

And maybe short-lived. I have spent the entire morning trying to get a photo of me with a couple of Kurdish kids in Iraq uploaded to my picture space and my avatar. No luck. I'm not a photo person on this thing. Gonna have to send it to scorpio or scea and ask one of them to resize for me and e-mail back. Have resized and it shows correctly in my "edit profile page" when I look at my pic and avatar but on the regular page, it doesn't show up. Still shows Bogart.

And maybe short-lived. I have spent the entire morning trying to get a photo of me with a couple of Kurdish kids in Iraq uploaded to my picture space and my avatar. No luck. I'm not a photo person on this thing. Gonna have to send it to scorpio or scea and ask one of them to resize for me and e-mail back. Have resized and it shows correctly in my "edit profile page" when I look at my pic and avatar but on the regular page, it doesn't show up. Still shows Bogart.

You will have to refresh your browser so that the old icon is deleted.

อร่อย = aroy = tasty

Clearly spelled with a trilled "r" but you would be hard pressed to find a Thai around here who is capable of pronouncing it that way, let alone a farang (also with a trilled "r" by the way). :)

I like to rrrrrroll my ร's but seldom, if ever, hear anyone else doing it. Sometimes the kids do, but I guess they've just come from a half-day drilling of it in school.

Kind of like when I was at school, teachers trying to get kids from London to pronounce 'th' correctly "no, it's three hundred and thirty three thousand, three hundred and thirty three"

"yes miss, free 'undred an firty free faahsund free 'undred an firty free"

While we're at it VF, you may be able to help me, bit off topic here,sorry. I hear the 'ช' in เชียงแศน pronounced as more of a 'ts' than a straightforward 'English' sounding 'ch' are my ears working right? :)

อร่อย = aroy = tasty

I like to rrrrrroll my ร's but seldom, if ever, hear anyone else doing it. Sometimes the kids do, but I guess they've just come from a half-day drilling of it in school.

Kind of like when I was at school, teachers trying to get kids from London to pronounce 'th' correctly "no, it's three hundred and thirty three thousand, three hundred and thirty three"

While we're at it VF, you may be able to help me, bit off topic here,sorry. I hear the 'ช' in เชียงแศน pronounced as more of a 'ts' than a straightforward 'English' sounding 'ch' are my ears working right? :)

:offtopic::offtopic2::redcard1::redcard2:

What about "Thai Language Forum "

or " Teaching in Thailand Forum "

or " Gay in Thailand Forum " ?

This is " Food in Chiang Rai Forum" !

Mumbo, where are you ?

:unsure::huh::blink:

Edited by svenivan

Short lived or not ... here is looking at you kid.

อร่อย = aroy = tasty

:offtopic::offtopic2::redcard1::redcard2:

What about "Thai Language Forum "

or " Teaching in Thailand Forum "

or " Gay in Thailand Forum " ?

This is " Food in Chiang Rai Forum" !

Mumbo, where are you ?

:unsure::huh::blink:

yes, i apologised already, I said it was off topic. What do you think mumbo can do about it? Nice red cards and whistles btw. Oh and quite what you mean by the 'gay in thailand' comment I'm not sure, but if you're looking for the return of 'the old days' when people posted snide comments about each other then it seems you're off to a good start.

Short lived or not ... here is looking at you kid.

It was good while it lasted..... But all things must come to an end.

yes, i apologised already, I said it was off topic. What do you think mumbo can do about it? Nice red cards and whistles btw. Oh and quite what you mean by the 'gay in thailand' comment I'm not sure, but if you're looking for the return of 'the old days' when people posted snide comments about each other then it seems you're off to a good start.

Hey Biff, take it easy, do not be so sensitive, I just found some funny gifs and wanted some text to go with it!

:jap: :wai: :jap:

If its the Gif's with Biff , my chicken Legs & those ladyboys Sven. It was a misunderstanding; maybe we can come to an arrangement. what about 1000 baht for destroying the evidence :)

Biff, the Aircon in Makro do seem the same price as elsewhere, they do occasionally have some great offers on some of the not so well known brands. of which I have a couple.

You should consider one of the portable ones.

If its the Gif's with Biff , my chicken Legs & those ladyboys Sven. It was a misunderstanding; maybe we can come to an arrangement. what about 1000 baht for destroying the evidence :)

Biff, the Aircon in Makro do seem the same price as elsewhere, they do occasionally have some great offers on some of the not so well known brands. of which I have a couple.

Yeah I suppose you have to go in there regularly to get those offers, how are those

not so well known ones you have? I'm thinking/hoping it's like tellys, pretty much all the same on the inside but some more expensive than others.

Had a portable one in the UK (yeah i know, it was hot for one day and i had a brain fart) and it was ok, but so &lt;deleted&gt; noisy when the compressor kicked in. OK for the day time but at night it would wake me up doing it's impression of a fridge on steroids every 10 minutes!

@Svenian, sorry for 'swiping' at you, sometimes it's hard to tell when a post is meant in a lighthearted way :wai:

Edited by bifftastic

Yeah I suppose you have to go in there regularly to get those offers, how are those

not so well known ones you have? I'm thinking/hoping it's like tellys, pretty much all the same on the inside but some more expensive than others.

Had a portable one in the UK (yeah i know, it was hot for one day and i had a brain fart) and it was ok, but so &lt;deleted&gt; noisy when the compressor kicked in. OK for the day time but at night it would wake me up doing it's impression of a fridge on steroids every 10 minutes!

@Svenian, sorry for 'swiping' at you, sometimes it's hard to tell when a post is meant in a lighthearted way :wai:

Yeah, I heard you had it Hot for a couple of days. We did too. The portable Job I have is reasonably quiet, If I can recall , Only used it once; It'll be ready for the next heatwave as will yours :)

The drone of the compressor is heaven anyway, when its 40 degrees in the shade

Edited by jubby

Yeah, I heard you had it Hot for a couple of days. We did too. The portable Job I have is reasonably quiet, If I can recall , Only used it once; It'll be ready for the next heatwave as will yours :)

The drone of the compressor is heaven anyway, when its 40 degrees in the shade

Ah yes, 40 degrees, well, it never quite reached that here :lol:

I had mine a couple of years ago, last time I moved, it didn't. This summer, due to my visit's to Thailand, I've been emulating the old fella from Ban Sob Kham who wanders around in a big coat and a bobble hat in the mid-day sun! :lol:

Not the correct topic, I know, but as good as any and better than starting a new one:

It seems to me AND my wife that the quality of Pepsi and Coke has fallen dramatically. Bad tastes in both, something missing. I have always thought Thai Coke sucks anyway but it seems a lot worse now.

Concerning the 1.25 liter bottles of both Coke and Pepsi, we keep getting bottles that don't seal well and go flat so quick. Didn't used to be that way.

And while it sounds like the same issue, it isn't- About a month ago, Pepsi finally got rid of a run of bottles (1.25 liter?) that had deformed tops where the cap/lid couldn't possibly seal. They got past that but it took weeks for them to sell all of that crap. Of course, it should have never hit the market. The top ring of the bottle where the cap/lid actually seals it looked like it had been melted and was uneven. But even with the top of the bottle corrected now, both Pepsi and Coke lost the carbonation a lot quicker than is normal. I think they switched to crappy caps/lids, maybe.

But the big complaint here is, neither taste good at all right now. Anyone else noticing this?

Not the correct topic, I know, but as good as any and better than starting a new one:

It seems to me AND my wife that the quality of Pepsi and Coke has fallen dramatically. Bad tastes in both, something missing. I have always thought Thai Coke sucks anyway but it seems a lot worse now.

Concerning the 1.25 liter bottles of both Coke and Pepsi, we keep getting bottles that don't seal well and go flat so quick. Didn't used to be that way.

And while it sounds like the same issue, it isn't- About a month ago, Pepsi finally got rid of a run of bottles (1.25 liter?) that had deformed tops where the cap/lid couldn't possibly seal. They got past that but it took weeks for them to sell all of that crap. Of course, it should have never hit the market. The top ring of the bottle where the cap/lid actually seals it looked like it had been melted and was uneven. But even with the top of the bottle corrected now, both Pepsi and Coke lost the carbonation a lot quicker than is normal. I think they switched to crappy caps/lids, maybe.

But the big complaint here is, neither taste good at all right now. Anyone else noticing this?

I always liked Coke best in the original glass bottle. Not the same taste in a can or a plastic bottle. Same in Sweden, US, UK and in Thailand.

The worst Coke is the one they sell in Mc Donalds etc where they mix it themself. :bah:

I prefer a cold beer before any softdrink, no additives, just the old natural refreshing drink that origin from the mead the old vikings invented.

:huh:<_<;)

Glass is way better. But those little bottles of Coke zero thry sell in Macro are way to heavy to carry upstairs. I generally have to settle for drinking the plastic bottle stuff in a glass glass. Improves the taste a bit.

I have but I can't recall where at the moment , but I'm almost sure it was Makro though :)

Did you beat Him this morning Woraphat ?, you've got to do it daily, Ideally before breakfast and definately before he has chance to charge his crockpot :D

I have but I can't recall where at the moment , but I'm almost sure it was Makro though :)

Did you beat Him this morning Woraphat ?, you've got to do it daily, Ideally before breakfast and definately before he has chance to charge his crockpot :D

Hello Jubby

I hope you can recall about that in the future ( I will give some beer to you if you candrunk.gif)

About the boxing KD, I take care everyday.biggrin.gif

See you soon.

Woraphat

man, thats Sh!ts bad for you.

My Kids wont drink it. Or not as much as they used to.

I've got them on small beer now, It'll put hairs on their Chests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_beer

I'll get my son to drink half a glass of Chang whenever me and the wife need to do over time :lol:

Edited by RedBullHorn

man, thats Sh!ts bad for you.

My Kids wont drink it. Or not as much as they used to.

I've got them on small beer now, It'll put hairs on their Chests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_beer

I'll get my son to drink half a glass of Chang whenever me and the wife need to do over time :lol:

That'll do it RBH. I dont touch the stuff myself . Leo or Beer lao if I can get it. :)

I swear man ! I'll never ever going to get drunk with Leo Beer jubby...It has been tested over and over, i chased down 2 cartons of Leo and all i do is pissing it off. :D

Chang, 2 cartons, i'll be tipsy...maybe it's those years of training, mixing all sort of drinks every night.:huh:

Edited by RedBullHorn

I swear man ! I'll never ever going to get drunk with Leo Beer jubby...It has been tested over and over, i chased down 2 cartons of Leo and all i do is pissing it off. :D

Chang, 2 cartons, i'll be tipsy...maybe it's those years of training, mixing all sort of drinks every night.:huh:

That'll be Leo with lots of Ice for me. followed by a couple of gallons of Water before I can drive home.

I know people who say Chang makes them shed Skin, Its almost as bad as Coke :)