Makro- Chiang Rai

kandahar

Not Makro but BIG C , they are doing excellent unfrozen back bacon , in the deli counter near the fresh meat section. They are also doing a wide variety of Cheese, but wow , what a price.

The Bacon is if I remember correctly about 100 bht for 250gr pack. Enjoy , its the best around I think.

The same bacon( streaky smoked) is in Northern Farm 230 baht per kilo, cheese(cheddar) 450 baht a kilo.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Makro but BIG C , they are doing excellent unfrozen back bacon , in the deli counter near the fresh meat section. They are also doing a wide variety of Cheese, but wow , what a price.

The Bacon is if I remember correctly about 100 bht for 250gr pack. Enjoy , its the best around I think.

The same bacon( streaky smoked) is in Northern Farm 230 baht per kilo, cheese(cheddar) 450 baht a kilo.

I think the bacon sunholidaysun1 is reporting about is the Canadian style back bacon - it's not streaky or smoked - and it is nice. Doesn't taste of chemicals/preservatives etc. Price is currently 107 baht /250g. Best not to think about the price, just have it very occassionally and enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay. This isn't Makro. But it IS the best tip you're going to get all week and today is only Tuesday.

Roti, or rotee, the little crepe type snack served up from the little street carts in CR, especially at breakfast time, has become an even bigger hit for me at my morning coffee time at home. Try this:

Buy some extras next time, take them home and put them in the freezer. Then, the next time you need or want one or two, take from the freezer, pop into the microwave for one minute on high, and enjoy. Tastes like it just came off the grill and you didn't have to go to the market that time to pick some up.

Also, before freezing them, you can open the things up just a bit and sprinkle some cinnamon on them. Close and re-wrap them and put them in the freezer. I like the cinnamon style better.

An aside: I don't care for the ones from the big market near the clock-tower. The grease they use there tastes old and spoiled. At the market in the Den Ha area, the guy makes them really nice. If you buy five or more at 5 baht each, he throws in one for free. He is usually set up and cooking by 5:00 a.m. at the latest, and even earlier most days. I have never had a bad one from him. I have never had a good one from the big market.

Now that I know the microwave thing works good, I'll just buy them by the dozen and save myself that morning stroll when I would rather be relaxing and having coffee.

Edited by kandahar

• 1 month later...

Haven't been to Makro in a while so I don't know what is new and exciting out there. However, I did find a good tea at Tops the other day. Tops brand tea bags, called English Breakfast Tea, has a good flavor for a good price. I suspect there is instant tea in the bags because the hot water turns dark almost instantly when the tea bag is added to the water. And there is enough flavor to easily get two cups of tea from one tea bag. Anyway, a nice little find for me. I enjoy it.

Maybe i'm hard to please or maybe my idea of good is totally different from a lot of other people,i'm refering to the Pizza's from Makro,i'm sorry guys but i dont rate them,so my question IS,does anyone know where i can buy Pizza bases so i can do my own toppings,or is there anyone out there that knows who could make the dough,then i could divide the dough up into the size i required and put them into the freezer until i felt the urge.

Rgds

Wora :rolleyes:

Hi!

The absolutely best pizza's I have had in Thailand,we got from the shop next to the golfclub -next to the old airport.

They are really good,and whit a chrunchy base-first time I got that here.

brianmarinus.