Seedboxes In Thailand

lomatopo

Is anyone using seedbox service from a local provider? If so can you share the name, package and your experiences (performance, service, support, web ui, remote desktop, etc.)? Thanks.

I've been looking at mimicolo, sqlcolo, colozuzu but there are a lot more.

With all the Internet blocking and incompetence in ISPs and the draconian laws plus selective enforcement plus the bottlenecks of Thailands international traffic peering, why would anyone look for a seedbox IN THAILAND ????

I am interested in these services, but rather look for a service that respects my privacy, and has adequate Internet infrastructure.

Or am I missing something?

Why local? Most of them are going to be reselling OVH or server.lu which are both in Europe anyway. If you're comfortable with basic SSH, Linux command line etc., I'd definitely go with Feral. They allow rtorrent with the rutorrent or wtorrent GUI, Transmission, Deluge, openVPN, and you can SSH into the box (no root though). I'm getting around 27MB/s max up and down on a 1GB connection. If you're not particularly technical you might want to go with someone like Xirvik, but their lower end slots use torrentflux, which is, frankly, garbage.

thanks for that...

i've just been looking at feral myself...

they have a ten pound a month service.

i presume that would be more than adequate for private torrenting needs...

how quickly can you transfer files to your home PC?

how quickly can you transfer files to your home PC?

Given a decent multi-thread ftp client eg CuteFTP Pro, properly configured, the server should max out pretty much any connection. It does mine, but my connection is fairly rubbish (I think about 6MB). Despite this, I can get a GB down in about 45 mins. I would go with the power slot if you're going with Feral (and don't think you're going to use more than 1TB a month - remember, downloads don't count and neither do internal transfers between OVH and any of the ISPs it peers with, i.e. a lot of other seedboxes). Very good speeds and only 15 quid. Some people pay this for a VPN alone, which, of course, you get as part of the slot anyway.

you've just about sold me, thank you. :)

was just reading some threads elsewhere complimenting the feral support staff.

will order in the next few days.

No probs. I'm sure you'll be very happy with them, they're good people. The fella who runs it is in the What CD forums a lot and he's very helpful. They're also on IRC pretty much 24/7.

btw, where is the VPN based?

does it allow you bbc i player access?

just noticed they were based in aberystwyth...:)

Depends on the server. I believe some OVH are based in the UK, but a lot of the Feral OVH servers are in France. If all you want is access to the iplayer you don't need a VPN and you definitely don't need a seedbox. PM me if you want some advice.

While we're on the subject, I would say one thing about seedboxes: their main purpose is to build 'buffer' (spare ratio) on private trackers. Most of the decent resellers will not allow you to use their servers on public trackers (yes this includes Demonoid). If you're looking to rent a seedbox, you should already be hooked up with some decent private trackers. If you're not, you'll be wasting your time and money. If your aim is simply to download stuff off public trackers and not be hassled by 'the man' then you want a VPN, not a seedbox.

Why local? Most of them are going to be reselling OVH or server.lu which are both in Europe anyway.

I admit I'm new to this but it seems like most of the local service providers are not reselling services from another source. They are selling local storage, network access and bandwidth. Prices seem pretty good (less than most in Europe), storage is local and they have excellent domestic (a lot of my private torrent bandwidth is local) and international bandwidth. I also like the remote desktop interface (logging in to sites, downloading torrent files) and FTP (Filezilla for downloading completed files from the seedbox) as these are familiar tools and quite easy to use. With multi MB/s upload speeds any ratio issues are quickly and efficiently addressed.

Most reports on Thai forums (there are a lot of providers and thousands of users) seem pretty positive; I guess I was surprised no one here is using a local provider. I plan to trial one service for 90 days so will follow up here with my experiences.

Just wanted to add another benefit of using a local provider: at some point you need to transfer all your downloaded files from the seedbox to your PC. Having these files on an intra-Thailand network could provide for more efficient file transfer instead of relying on international bandwidth, if transferring files from seedbox in Europe.

For me, with almost 100% non-thai traffic on the private trackers I participate, would a Thai seedbox provider make sense? Or elsewhere? Any recommendations?

Only if you have ratio issues. If you are happy with your current upload and download characteristics, and can maintain an acceptable ratio then I can think of no reason to pay for a seedbox service in any location. I still haven't figured out where the optimum location for a seedbox might be for the multitude of usage patterns.

Edited by lomatopo

I admit I'm new to this but it seems like most of the local service providers are not reselling services from another source. They are selling local storage, network access and bandwidth. Prices seem pretty good (less than most in Europe), storage is local and they have excellent domestic (a lot of my private torrent bandwidth is local) and international bandwidth. I also like the remote desktop interface (logging in to sites, downloading torrent files) and FTP (Filezilla for downloading completed files from the seedbox) as these are familiar tools and quite easy to use. With multi MB/s upload speeds any ratio issues are quickly and efficiently addressed.

Most reports on Thai forums (there are a lot of providers and thousands of users) seem pretty positive; I guess I was surprised no one here is using a local provider. I plan to trial one service for 90 days so will follow up here with my experiences.

Fair enough. I don't have an issue with seeding to Thai trackers. I think my ratio on SiamBT is something like 15 and I've never used a seedbox on there. I need one for the US and European trackers where it's very difficult to compete for upload with local seedboxes. Could you give us a list of these local providers? I'd be interested in having a look at them anyway. I'm fairly sure they will be resellers of a local major ISP e.g. CAT. I assume they're Linux servers? The remote desktop you refer to, is that VNC? Hopefully it's not the dreaded torrentflux. Oh, and what do you mean by 'excellent international bandwidth?' Could you be more specific?

Just wanted to add another benefit of using a local provider: at some point you need to transfer all your downloaded files from the seedbox to your PC. Having these files on an intra-Thailand network could provide for more efficient file transfer instead of relying on international bandwidth, if transferring files from seedbox in Europe.

Don't find this an issue. My downstream connection is pretty much always maxed out by my server in France.

Another obvious benefit is that my DSL line is freed up, especially my limited upstream bandwidth, for daily internet usage, like VoIP since I am no longer running a BT client locally. I can FTP completed files down to my PC at off-peak hours, using my much larger downstream bandwidth. This also frees up local bandwidth for everyone.

The remote desktop uses Windows Remote Desktop Connection, most also have a Web UI. You use FlashGet or FileZilla for FTP.

I am looking at a lighter weight package: 100 GB of storage, 6 MB/s download, unmetered upload, 5 active downloads, 25 active torrents, and a 500 Mb/s direct international link for 3,600 THB/year (2,000 THB/6 months, 1,250 THB/3 months), although there are usually significantly discounted promotions available. I have not signed up yet; I am still looking at which provider has the best customer response as there are quite a few, also each one has ~ 25 packages each.

The benefits seem obvious but I may be missing something. Once I have used the service for a while I'll follow up here.

Edited by lomatopo

Lomatopo, that's what I would see as a main benefit. Torrenting can really slow down your connection. I tested pinging local as well as International Connections with or without Torrents running in the background, the results were amazing: About 1200 vs 85 ms ....

Let me know where you book, I would consider a three month test drive any time.

Let me know where you book, I would consider a three month test drive any time.

Yeah, some links would be good (don't worry if they're in Thai).

P.S.

Torrenting can really slow down your connection.

FTP'ing your files from the server is also going to massively slow down your connection. Seedboxes are not a magical solution to all your bandwidth problems. As I said before, their main purpose is to ensure you can seed more than you take.

Edited by MKAsok

MKAsok, I am aware of the issues with FTP. But there is a large difference: In order to successfully use Bittorrent, you better run the client 24/7. whereas up- and download to a remote client (seedbox) is temporary, and can be kicked on and off without any issues with the community.

I don't understand why anyone would need something like this. It takes me less than an hour to download a movie. How many movies can you see in a day? 2 maybe 3 max? Just leaving the pc running overnight would take care of that and more. Or did I miss something obvious?

MKAsok, I am aware of the issues with FTP. But there is a large difference: In order to successfully use Bittorrent, you better run the client 24/7. whereas up- and download to a remote client (seedbox) is temporary, and can be kicked on and off without any issues with the community.

Don't really understand what you mean by 'issues with the community.'

Or did I miss something obvious?

You're probably using public trackers or rapidshare and the like. You don't need a seedbox.

Don't really understand what you mean by 'issues with the community.'

At the private trackers I operate it is considered a bad habit to not seed 24/7 ....

At the private trackers I operate it is considered a bad habit to not seed 24/7 ....

You're confusing 'bad habits' with ratio rules. Nobody cares how long you seed, as long as you seed to your required ratio. Whether that takes 10 minutes out of 24 hours or 24 hours out of 24 hours or any combination thereof, the actual time involved is completely irrelevant. Anyway, we may be at cross-purposes here. I think we basically agree - private tracker + seedbox = win/public tracker + seedbox = fail.

Agree with your final statements. The trackers I participate I also seed a lot of original material, not just leeching and hoping someone picks up my seed. And whenever I am offline, I tend to get friendly to angry reminders .....

Personally I don't agree with all these ratio issues. Any 1.0 (or above!) rule would inevitably come to a total standstill. So most are then building special rules in order to overcome this. Crazy. Talking about Thailand Visa proceedings as logical and straight-forward instead.

As a matter of fact, most of the time I fail to obtain my ratio is not carelessness in my part but rather noone available who leaches, as everybody is so afraid of the consequences a download has to his holy ratio, that he rather refrains. Smaller seeds are taken and often almost completely seeded within minutes after start, so, unless you permanently stare at the news and react immediately, you will most likely be able to dl fast, but cant give anything back. A normal file here is looking after one or two days with 20+ seeders and maybe 1 leacher or 2, if any.

But that's off topic ....

• 3 weeks later...

@ Mkasok - im using Cute FTP and i just cant seem to max out my connection to retrieve my files from my seedbox(feral). im using Mac osx with a 4mb/512kb 3bb connection (i know its not the best). Im currently getting 20-30kb's speed to retrieve my files which is just crazy for the size files (8gb - 14gb)

Ive tried googling how to maximise the connection but being located in thailand i thought maybe you had some tips that maybe im not just seeing? this is still pretty new to me so please go easy on the jargon.

any reply would be gratefully appreciated !

tom

@ Mkasok - im using Cute FTP and i just cant seem to max out my connection to retrieve my files from my seedbox(feral). im using Mac osx with a 4mb/512kb 3bb connection (i know its not the best). Im currently getting 20-30kb's speed to retrieve my files which is just crazy for the size files (8gb - 14gb)

Ive tried googling how to maximise the connection but being located in thailand i thought maybe you had some tips that maybe im not just seeing? this is still pretty new to me so please go easy on the jargon.

tom

Seems like a more universal issue? http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1435587

A definite advantage to having a seedbox in Thailand ( I assume Feral is off-shore? Probably subject to international bandwidth constraints?); multi-Mbps FTP downloads intra-Thailand. I'm currently FTPing (FileZilla) down to my PC at ~350 kilo-Bytes per second.

Hi Lomatopo,

Which company are you using for your seedbox?

I see Mimi-Colo advertise 'domestic' and 'international' packages, whereas SQLCOLO seems more reasonably priced, but doesn't mention 'domestic' or 'international'. I would like to find one which is good for international and to give it a try.

tom

Have you increased the multi-part setting in CuteFTP to 7 or 8? (tools/global options/transfer)

Seems like a more universal issue? http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1435587

A definite advantage to having a seedbox in Thailand ( I assume Feral is off-shore? Probably subject to international bandwidth constraints?); multi-Mbps FTP downloads intra-Thailand. I'm currently FTPing (FileZilla) down to my PC at ~350 kilo-Bytes per second.

There are apparent issues with OVH servers and FTP, although I'm yet to experience any. I'm getting over 2mbs down from my OVH server in France as I write (this is on a True connection of around 6Mbps). I've seen speeds up to 3.5mbs. As far as I know, Feral resell OVH (France), leaseweb (Holland I think) and 100tb (US), so they have servers in various locations.

@kirky - what plan are you on? If you think the problem is OVH, you might want to ask Josh to swap you over to leaseweb. My own opinion is it's more likely to have something to do with your ISP. I assume you're FTP'ing through the VPN direct to your slot?

Hi Lomatopo,

Which company are you using for your seedbox?

I see Mimi-Colo advertise 'domestic' and 'international' packages, whereas SQLCOLO seems more reasonably priced, but doesn't mention 'domestic' or 'international'. I would like to find one which is good for international and to give it a try.

You can look at adslthailand dot com for the various local providers, and just Google the Thai websites. SQLCOLO seems to be a decent provider; I really wouldn't get too hung up on domestic/international. Try one and see if it works for you.

It seems like using a Thai seedbox, and joining local BT sites, is the best option for me. I downloaded all the Sunday shows in short order, then local bandwidth down to my PC. Of course if you want to pay more for a service located in Europe or the U.S. feel free to do so.

In general in would help if people took the time to distinguish between bits and bytes.

post-9615-008053600 1283261814_thumb.jpg

Edited by lomatopo