Why Many Farang Chose To Live In Rawai/Chalong Area

maichai40

re: the bloke with the pregnant girlfriend, he's here cause he's a sponsored professional fighter and it's impossible to train full time in australia - kickboxing / muay thai gym's just dont operate like that and the thai trainers here have 1000% more knowledge than the aussie trainers.. this trip was arranged before his girl got pregnant and he'll be home before the baby comes.

and of course he would tell you if he was slipping off for a post workout massage...

:lol:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

re: the bloke with the pregnant girlfriend, he's here cause he's a sponsored professional fighter and it's impossible to train full time in australia - kickboxing / muay thai gym's just dont operate like that and the thai trainers here have 1000% more knowledge than the aussie trainers.. this trip was arranged before his girl got pregnant and he'll be home before the baby comes.

Sounds a bit iffy to me, Why didn't the girlfriend come over with him? If he's a professional fighter where is he fighting?

Certainly not your run of the mill Rawai resident.

Sorry i didn't reply before, had a busy weekend...

I am surprised to see that the residents of chalong/rawai don't mention the CRIME problem they have there, which is the first thing that comes to mind when the other mention their area.

I also see that many, as i supposed, have little knowledge of Phuket island, so many place to live but seems that most know only Kata, Karon, Kamala, Patong: finished.

But i understand is a nice area if you want to live FARANG STYLE, with Villa Market and "for farang only restaurant" and a big expat community.

Anyway good for you, more space for us in the Thai style Phuket areas or where the nice beaches are.

I am surprised to see that the residents of chalong/rawai don't mention the CRIME problem they have there, which is the first thing that comes to mind when the other mention their area.

I don't have a crime problem. Been living in Rawai for 7 years now, no burglaries, no nothing has happened to me here.
I also see that many, as i supposed, have little knowledge of Phuket island, so many place to live but seems that most know only Kata, Karon, Kamala, Patong: finished.
Strange conclusion of the answers so far.

But i understand is a nice area if you want to live FARANG STYLE, with Villa Market and "for farang only restaurant" and a big expat community.

I live much more Thai style than farang style, and never go to 'farang only restaurant', nor do I have anything to do with an expat community.
Anyway good for you, more space for us in the Thai style Phuket areas or where the nice beaches are.
Especially judging from your post: it all comes down to how you want to see things.

live in Rawai and never have had a problem. Picked Rawai as it was where i spent my time when i came here first. I find the local ex-pat community ok, i don't spent alot of time with them, maybe a few drinks at the weekend and thats with some people i''ve met over the last 2 years. I keep myself to myself mostly. I rarely if ever see a fight in a bar. You swear there is never a bar fight anywhere else in phuket never mind Thailand or the rest of the world the way some go on. I am happy where i am, and i drink in pubs that from reading on the net apparently have a bad reputation but i think thats just people being paranoid.

Oh please, what a load of nonsense.

Very little of Phuket is actual Thailand, many Thais call this Koh Farang, and if you want to believe where you live is authentic Thailand good for you but you need to get a grip on reality.

• Like 2

Very little of Phuket is actual Thailand, many Thais call this Koh Farang, and if you want to believe where you live is authentic Thailand good for you but you need to get a grip on reality.

No nonsense Grumpyoldman,

there are zones of Phuket that aren't "Koh farang", and where is comparable to normal Thailand.

Where I live I see hills, trees, some kwai and a palm plantation, but still i am in the center of the island, close to most beaches and specially to Phuket town, that i really like a lot.

When i want the "koh farang" is there in a few minutes, when i want the deserted beaches or the secluded ones are there too, do you think i speak nonsense?

there are zones of Phuket that aren't "Koh farang", and where is comparable to normal Thailand.

Where I live I see hills, trees, some kwai and a palm plantation, but still i am in the center of the island, close to most beaches and specially to Phuket town, that i really like a lot.

When i want the "koh farang" is there in a few minutes, when i want the deserted beaches or the secluded ones are there too, do you think i speak nonsense?

I just think your perspective is bent.

Sure there are some secluded zones on the island but if you speak with any Thai people they will tell you this is not Thailand. Maybe what you see and in your mind is "true Thailand" to you, thus my conclusion on your perspective.

^ 'real Thailand' on Phuket? I kidded myself that living 'jungle' in the hills behind Chalong was 'real'.

Where I live now is I think fairly genuine. There are only Thai people here - that's a start..

Have farangs I know at 7 and 11km away;

52km round trip to a 7/11; 92km if I want a Bangkok Post or a Big C supermarket.

Gasoline by hand-pump at 40baht/litre unless I want to drive, you guessed it, 52km.

No cable tv - there's no cable! Internet by aircard with no signal about 20% of the time.

We'll be back in Phuket likely by end of year - living here has changed my perspective.

^ 'real Thailand' on Phuket? I kidded myself that living 'jungle' in the hills behind Chalong was 'real'.

Where I live now is I think fairly genuine. There are only Thai people here - that's a start..

Have farangs I know at 7 and 11km away;

52km round trip to a 7/11; 92km if I want a Bangkok Post or a Big C supermarket.

Gasoline by hand-pump at 40baht/litre unless I want to drive, you guessed it, 52km.

No cable tv - there's no cable! Internet by aircard with no signal about 20% of the time.

We'll be back in Phuket likely by end of year - living here has changed my perspective.

Sound like all my mates that have done the deepest darkest isaan routine..

Tho theres some cities up north that might be liveable.. Ubon, Nong Khai, Khon Khen, etc.. Still a bit too 'real' for me tho ;)

So as I asked earlier OP, what area do you live in and why is it much better than Chalong/Rawai? Surely you can refute all the previous posts on why we live in the area that you say is not near as good as where you are. Hills, trees, buffalos etc. are in Rawai/Chalong, so is it the palm plantations that make your area special?

Edited by steelepulse

So as I asked earlier OP, what area do you live in and why is it much better than Chalong/Rawai? Surely you can refute all the previous posts on why we live in the area that you say is not near as good as where you are. Hills, trees, buffalos etc. are in Rawai/Chalong, so is it the palm plantations that make your area special?

We also have palm plantations around here. But I don't live next to one. The loudest things here are the crickets at night, and a tookay. Oh, and my dog! sad.gifShe's on the sofa sleeping now though. biggrin.gif

We do have too many birds though, not many chickens, but noisy song birds! And a lot of butterflys! Some snakes. I saw a firefly tonight too. I stayed out in the boonies in several different areas of Thailand. I like many areas, but I feel at home here, at least for now. I've always lived in beach towns. I still have another home that's empty in another nice part of the world near the beach. And I may build another place out in the boonies of Sa Keow, not near the beach!unsure.gif

Maichai40 is just stirring the pot...i was going to write out a big response to this but, everything has already been covered...just go back to your buffalos!

LOL!thumbsup.gif

Edited by Jimi007

Tho theres some cities up north that might be liveable.. Ubon, Nong Khai, Khon Khen, etc.. Still a bit too 'real' for me tho ;)

Sometimes too "real" for me aswell, but balance it with work - which I enjoy.

Still, Wad is happier than ever and, consequently, so is our relationship.

Myself and the Nong Khai Boris would love to see you visit though.

Rawaii has changed heaps since I was living there. The "Village Pub" - the mini-mart run by Lung Char in Cockmakham -is now as busy as the Kangaroo up Bangla!!

Good for Char and Nee and good for the punters ... see you in December

Rawaii has changed heaps since I was living there. The "Village Pub" - the mini-mart run by Lung Char in Cockmakham -is now as busy as the Kangaroo up Bangla!!

Good for Char and Nee and good for the punters ... see you in December

LOL, that's just up the road from me. And you're right Rawai has been losing some of it's charm.

Had hoped to catch up with NKB on a flying visit.. Currently inspecting lanna options, but thats still a long drive to either of you.

Had hoped to catch up with NKB on a flying visit.. Currently inspecting lanna options, but thats still a long drive to either of you.

Lanna options?

Ooohh dear..... smog, flat beer and northerners; you might just as well be in Manchester!!

Thank you very much for the interesting replies to my question from the residents of the area in question.

I have now a better idea of why some people chose to live there, even though i don't agree with their motivation i respect their choice.

Some idiotic response too, but this is usual on Thaivisa, seems that is the price to pay when sharing opinions....

Deepest darkest Isaan - yes I have friends who have gone, never to return it seems. Haven't made the journey myself, and not on my 'things to do'. One friend from Phuket on the way there there this week, driving (yes! he met a cashier at Chalong Pier!!!). I don't like his chances.

We're east and a bit south from Bangkok, Khmer country if anything (though that earns a clip round the ears "we are Thai") near the Cambodian border, most of the local farm labour is Kampuchean, quite a mix culturally and language-wise.

Mention of Isaan here gets me another whack. Family has history around Chanthaburi province - again, my suggestion they could have some French genes (occupied by French 1893-1910) gets 'the look'. I maintain it is possible.

Deepest darkest Isaan - yes I have friends who have gone, never to return it seems. Haven't made the journey myself, and not on my 'things to do'. One friend from Phuket on the way there there this week, driving (yes! he met a cashier at Chalong Pier!!!). I don't like his chances.

We're east and a bit south from Bangkok, Khmer country if anything (though that earns a clip round the ears "we are Thai") near the Cambodian border, most of the local farm labour is Kampuchean, quite a mix culturally and language-wise.

Mention of Isaan here gets me another whack. Family has history around Chanthaburi province - again, my suggestion they could have some French genes (occupied by French 1893-1910) gets 'the look'. I maintain it is possible.

A week in Nong Kai area was enough for me. Loved to come back to Hua Hin and Phuket:D

Are you around the Sa Kaow area?

^ yes, we're 26km from Kaew Chakan, another 18km from there to Sa Kaeo town.

There's nothing 'bad' about living here - except for lack of beach - from rural NZ originally and don't particularly miss city life.

Lanna options?

Ooohh dear..... smog, flat beer and northerners; you might just as well be in Manchester!!

Could be worse, could have got the wrong bus ticket and ended up in Ubon instead of Udon !! :bah:

Deepest darkest Isaan - yes I have friends who have gone, never to return it seems. Haven't made the journey myself, and not on my 'things to do'.

Nice for a look see.. Hard to find the balance of services that I find makes the most of life tho.

Everywhere is a balance, upsides and downsides.. And ultimately those are personal selections. Not right or wrong answers.

Edited by LivinLOS

Could be worse, could have got the wrong bus ticket and ended up in Ubon instead of Udon !! :bah:

Oooh! You know how to kick a man when he's down, you've ben talking to NKB.

Anyhow, as I mentioned before Wad is happy.

BUT if I were single and/or I was 35ish, financially sufficient and living in LoS full time, ie not getting away to work, I would seriously be thinking twice about moving to the boonies. Bouncing between Phuket and Bkk maybe, but I wouldn't advise uprooting yet. Just my humble opinion.