Any Astronomers In Chiang Mai?

Scrubber

I've just been having a smoke out on my balcony and noticed a particularly bright light in the sky which is roughly half way between the moon and Doi Suthep temple right now (not literally, but on a line between the two). I'm guessing it's Venus, but as I'm no expert I'd like someone to confirm this.

Edited by Scrubber

Sorry not in the Mai at the moment but over here we are in the middle of the Perseids Shower show with Venus,Mars and Saturn all being particularly bright.

Couple of years ago had my brother (who studied Astronomy at Uni) over in Mae-on and he raved on about the great sky.

After midnight our place is almost totally pitch black and if/when eventually we move over perm will look at finding the ideal spot for a telescope location. ...should be good ....and an interesting TOPIC

post-13-061882000 1281795742_thumb.jpg

Remember a couple of years ago there as talk of a new Observatory being built at Doi Ithhi... :)

Now looks like it up and running...anyone been to have a look...?

The National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand

Narit Visitor Center ( NVC) is situated at km.31 on the road up Doi Inthanon. It will serve as an accommodating lodge for NARIT’s visitors and, in some special cases, for the general public. The center will also house a remote control room for the automatic telescope at the National Observatory.

On special outstanding occasions, exhibitions related to astronomy and sky events will be conducted here.

NVC is tentatively scheduled to open to the public on Tuesdays and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., except during the famous Songran week(water throwing festival week in April), and New Year’s day. On those days guided tours will be offered at 10 a.m., and 1:30 p.m. and group tours are available by appointment. Stargazers may enjoy the night at Doi Inthanon with our Night Observing Programs.

The Visitor Center at Km.31 is now open to the public, though not yet in full scale. Group booking is required.

For details please call +66 (0)53 225-569. :D

http://www.narit.or.th/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=14

Yes it is Venus, the brightest object in the night sky.

except of course for the Moon & the occasional fireball.. :)

a nice piece of free software for anyone interested in whats currently, or at any given time past or future, in the night sky & viewed from any location on Earth is 'Stellarium'

website is .here.