Why Thai Visa Is Successful And The Rest Are Not

Ulysses G.

Over the years, a number of Thai Visa's nastiest trolls have gone off and started their own Thailand forums with the intention of beating TV at their own game. The selling point was always that TV is overly moderated and that there would be "free speech" on the alternate forum.

They attracted a lot of other trolls and a few somewhat normal posters for a while until it became more and more obvious that almost all of their interesting threads were about Thai Visa (and how terrible it was that they had been banned for life). However, that got boring pretty fast and the somewhat normal posters got tired of being constantly being insulted by the losers who dominated these places and moved on.

Meanwhile, Thai Visa grew and matured and experimented with how much control was needed to keep the forum as polite as possible and to keep certain posters from racial attacks and too much negativity. A forum is hard to police effectively, but it is clear that it is necessary.

Next - once most of the decent posters had gone elsewhere - the trolls started insulting each other on their forums, but that was not fun for long, so they would go over to TV and get thrown off after a few posts and return home and brag to each other about how clever they had been.

Eventually, the owners of the "free speech" forums realized that no one in their right mind would advertise on their websites and that they had hardly any active members left, so they started imitating Thai Visa and getting brought in "moderators" that would censor anyone that they did not agree with. The "moderators" were usually the biggest bullies on these forums and not overly bright, so things got worse and worse.

At the moment the troll forums seem to have turned to attacking each other and don't bother to mention Thai Visa too much anymore.

TV has gotten more and more advertisers and membership continues to grow. It is far from perfect, but it is also pretty obvious that it is doing a fine job and is really in a league of its own.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

So now Thaivisa in the shape of you has lowered itself to criticising other forums!!!........:rolleyes:

What i just said.I have made more decent friends on other forums,not made 1 on here,says something doesnt it,but lets be honest most are from Bangkok here

So now Thaivisa in the shape of you has lowered itself to criticising other forums!!!........

Did I hit too close to home? I criticized "Troll Forums", but no one in particular...

Why do some posters here feel offended? :whistling:

Edited by Ulysses G.

You are perfectly right , but I got bored with the tit tat behaviour on this forum ,

had a look at some others , but that was too much and too dominant behaviour for my taste .

Thaivisa is the best and biggest , cause it was the first who tried to take things seriously for what people needed , and thats called professionalism , but its a miss

I can't write about moderation here , so I won't , and thats why i feel I can't at times

express myself as I would like , and that is a negative for many too I guess .

But anyway I came here for information in the first place , and thats still awsome how

networking between us members can work out sometimes , that makes this place so great .

And thats why keeping yourself at bay sometimes , is worth it all along .

And one forum as TV is enough , thats why those others can never even come close .

But feel sorry , a bit , that thaivisa perhaps could open a forum without much moderation ,

but guess that just doesn't work .

• Like 2

You are perfectly right , but I got bored with the tit tat behaviour on this forum ,

had a look at some others , but that was too much and too dominant behaviour for my taste .

Thaivisa is the best and biggest

I gave you a Greenie :thumbsup: and I get what you are saying about moderation, but these other places have proved that you can not have a decent forum without it. :(

I gave you a Greenie :thumbsup: and I get what you are saying about moderation, but these other places have proved that you can not have a decent forum without it. :(

TRotaly agree with moderation ULYSSES,but there is more nepatism on this site than any others i have been on.What seems to work best is,sign on,read the important issues,dont bite to the crap posts and ususaly one is pretty safe from mods,but critisis certain members or certain people with certain jobs then hel_l breaks,because some of the mods do that certain job too.

So now Thaivisa in the shape of you has lowered itself to criticising other forums!!!........

Did I hit too close to home? I criticized "Troll Forums", but no one in particular. Why do some posters here feel offended? :whistling:

Actually far from home, in the last 20 years I have only joined one localised Surin forum, and visited so infrequently I cannot comment on the success or failure, but I am sure it serves a purpose. Your criticism of other forums in an attempt to elevate TV to a postion it already holds appears to me to be a petty attack on other forums.......simple as that......please feel free to point out where I am mistaken?

Perhaps they could create ' the no moderation forum ' , but only for proven

non super negative posters and trolls , so 2000 posts up or something.....

nahhhh :ph34r:

2313 posts or more you mean?

please feel free to point out where I am mistaken?

I already did. I am not talking about ALL other forums - only a few forums that do little besides attack Thai Visa and the members here and have since they started. I do not think that your Surin forum is one of them. ;)

please feel free to point out where I am mistaken?

I already did. I am not talking about ALL other forums - only a few forums that do little besides attack Thai Visa and the members here and have since they started. I do not think that your Surin forum is one of them. ;)

No you didn't.........you have merely narrowed down the area of your petty attack......:D

The term 'Success' needs qualification but surely has to be rooted in meeting objectives.

The objectives of different websites might be different, while each might achieve it's own objectives and hence each might be a success.

• Like 1

2313 posts or more you mean?

I used to have 5000 up, believe it or not , they were deleated for me having fun....

But no I was regarding at a forum bit more freely , but the lack of respect of each other will never make that happen , and if you are a long time member with .... posts , some fear of that may disappear perhaps . It is only wishful thinking anyways .

I am not discussing moderation by the ways , it is necessary and they do with that an excellent job to some extend .

No you didn't.........you have merely narrowed down the area of your petty attack......

I have no idea why you are taking it so personally. :P

I'm not UG, because I have no need to, just as I have no need to crticise other forums.......you say other forums have failed because they sought to crticise TVisa...........but you are in turn critcising them......does that not appear to you to be a little hypocritical..........not personal just an observation.

No you didn't.........you have merely narrowed down the area of your petty attack......

I have no idea why you are taking it so personally. :P

probably because its a well known trait of yours UG. to take snippets of other peoples posts, twist the words and then turn it back on the poster(in other words trying to be clever)

i suppose this forum does suit the likes of members like you!

now if only everywhere on this forum was just like OSB and advertised a certain book store in chaing mai it would be the perfect place to come.

wright ulysses?

• Like 1

The name plays a big part in attracting members too. Someone thinking of visiting Thailand types "Thailand Visa" into google and the top result is this website.They take a look, see it's fast moving and aren't bothered to look elsewhere.

Hmmmm...that was a nice cup of :coffee1:

...maybe I have another :licklips:

On a more serious note:

Why Thai Visa Is Successful...?

Because they were first and because of high-post #'s of members like the OP, Jingthing, myself and others (me at the tail of course since I'm not as much addicted as you and JT) :giggle:

....and next to that it's not easy to beat a(ny) market leader.

But, one should always be careful NOT to loose it's position and maybe TV should have a regular look in the mirror if they're not going too far by closing in on Democratic Achievements, human beings have fought for in the past and present; meaning: our parents and (great) grandparents often have fought for liberation and freedom of speech :whistling:

Also, I very much regret that TV is now "hooked" (by self-choice) to The Nation...and..it shows :( since "we" had more "freedom" of posting links before.

LaoPo

• Like 1

you say other forums have failed because they sought to crticise TVisa...........but you are in turn critcising them......does that not appear to you to be a little hypocritical

No it doesn't. They name Thai Visa. I am not naming anyone. Only trolls who know exactly what they are should be offended.