Pirated Cds Worth Bt35m Seized

george

Pirated CDs worth Bt35m seized from Thon Buri house

BANGKOK: -- A police raid in Thon Buri yesterday uncovered over 100,000 pirated CDs estimated to be worth Bt35 million. Seven people were arrested.

Economic Crime Investigation Division (ECID) police, led by Maj-General Suchart Kanchanawiset swooped on a three-storey townhouse in Soi Charan Sanitwong 13, Phasi Charoen subdistrict, where they found 102,000 CDs and 400,000 CD covers of Sony Music Entertainment Inc products.

The seven people arrested while packing the CDs into the cases said a man called Ty had hired them.

Suthep Sapcomayu, 40, said he had worked at the townhouse for about a year and Ty had hired him and others to do the packing, for which he was paid Bt7,000 a month.

Suthep said he did not know the owner but Ty rented the place as a warehouse to collect and pack CDs for clients who came there to collect them.

Investigators said they would track down the owner.

--The Nation 2005-07-10

This seems to be the story the world over, there were some major busts in the US and 11 other countries a week or so ago.

A 29 year old mother got put away for 10 months in the UK for piracy, but some other guy got 4 months conditional discharge and 140 hours community service for attempted manslaughter, kinda twisted isn't it.

Thats life though...

Pirated CDs worth Bt35m seized from Thon Buri house

BANGKOK: -- A police raid in Thon Buri yesterday uncovered over 100,000 pirated CDs estimated to be worth Bt35 million. Seven people were arrested.

Economic Crime Investigation Division (ECID) police, led by Maj-General Suchart Kanchanawiset swooped on a three-storey townhouse in Soi Charan Sanitwong 13, Phasi Charoen subdistrict, where they found 102,000 CDs and 400,000 CD covers of Sony Music Entertainment Inc products.

The seven people arrested while packing the CDs into the cases said a man called Ty had hired them.

Suthep Sapcomayu, 40, said he had worked at the townhouse for about a year and Ty had hired him and others to do the packing, for which he was paid Bt7,000 a month.

Suthep said he did not know the owner but Ty rented the place as a warehouse to collect and pack CDs for clients who came there to collect them.

Investigators said they would track down the owner.

--The Nation 2005-07-10

You don't suppose this guy forgot to make his monthly contribution the the "Boys in Brown"?

IMHO. The WTO stance on piracy is crap.

Probably 90% of people who buy pirated CD's DVD's, T Shirts, Handbags, Watches, etc (note I exclude software) only do so because they are cheap!

Were these cheap copies not available they would not buy the originals as they could not afford or would be unwilling to pay the asking price.

So tell me what are the corporations losing ?

The Chairman of Rolex admitted his Company rarely take any action against people faking his products as "The people who buy the copies cannot afford the original,.........but perhaps by wearing a copy they may aspire to one day buying the real thing" (my wording I cannot find the original quote).

Software now that is a different issue, Mr Gates has sewn up the market so we cannot operate our computers without the stuff and if copies are not available we have to buy the originals, we have no choice really.

:D:D:o:D:D

IMHO, the Thai Government stance on piracy is crap.

Nobody thought to 'swoop' on Pantip Plaza or Fortune this time? They don't even take the stuff away when they 'raid' Pantip. They just cover up the stall with sheets for a few days. Sometimes for less than 24 hours.

Probably 90% of people who buy pirated CD's DVD's, T Shirts, Handbags, Watches, etc (note I exclude software) only do so because they are cheap!

Were these cheap copies not available they would not buy the originals as they could not afford or would be unwilling to pay the asking price.

So tell me what are the corporations losing ?

The Chairman of Rolex admitted his Company rarely take any action against people faking his products as "The people who buy the copies cannot afford the original,.........but perhaps by wearing a copy they may aspire to one day buying the real thing" (my wording I cannot find the original quote).

Software now that is a different issue, Mr Gates has sewn up the market so we cannot operate our computers without the stuff and if copies are not available we have to buy the originals, we have no choice really.

:D  :D  :o  :D  :D

What about music and movies? Are you saying people wouldn't buy music and movie discs if there weren't fake ones available?

How about the fake PC-CD games? The real ones are only about 350 baht and the fake ones around 100 baht -- a relatively little difference, yet still people buy the fakes. If the fakes weren't there, you don't think they'd cough up an extra couple hundred baht to buy the genuine product?

We're not just talking about luxury goods and software here.

basically you can find many other pirated items in BKK, watches, shirt/T-shirts, jeans/pants, shoes, etc.. etc..

You can also get copies of bargirls. They're made out of bad quality Thai guys though. :o

basically you can find many other pirated items in BKK, watches, shirt/T-shirts, jeans/pants, shoes, etc.. etc..

You can also get copies of bargirls. They're made out of bad quality Thai guys though. :D

:D:D

Like anything thats copied, i've seen good ones and bad ones :o

It may be just for show or a soft deterrent, but Pantip Plaza is the only mall I ever routinely see Police and even Military. :D

(not that my disk of XP Pro is an illegally copy, I can tell it's genuine because it cost almost 300b and it's written right on the disk with a black magic marker, ... "XP Pro (w/ SP2)", :o