Importation Tax

keightzee

I'm looking to purchase 2 football shirts off my clubs website but know that they will be sent by either DHHELL or UPS.

If this is the case are they given the responsibilty of collecting the duty like in the UK and if so any ideas what this would be?

The Value of the items will be around 70gbp.

If im going to get stung i may aswell let my mate bring them over in a few weeks and pay the UK tax and save on the postage.

Thanks

The "value" of the shirts is probably nearer 700THB. Most football shirts are manufactured here in SE Asia, usually in Bangladesh or Cambodia, and then exported to the rich world. Check the labels to find out where they were made. Better yet, e-mail the club website and ask them. Bet they won't tell you.

Edited by Spalpeen

There's no guaranteed way of sending these shirts from UK to Thailand without incurring tax/duties.

Chances are that if you send by Royal Mail there will be no additional charges but if you use DHL (or similar carrier) the Thai Customs will apply their 100%+ 'handling charge'.

I think it is fair to say that Thai Customs are about the most corrupt govt organisation in Thailand.

Edit - I think it is still true that if the declared value of the package as less than 1,000 THB no tax or duty is applied. Here in Thailand 2 T-shirts should be well under 1,000 THB.

Edited by chickenslegs

If im going to get stung i may aswell let my mate bring them over in a few weeks and pay the UK tax and save on the postage.

Have your mate bring them over. The Thai Postal System takes a couple of weeks to get things from Bangkok to Pattaya not to mention the time for it to go from the UK to Bangkok.

every package, parcel or what so ever which is imported by DHL, UPS, FedEx or any other transporter, including post-forwarders will be checked randomly.

Apart from documents and values under THB 1,000, customs aren't bothered. For evert other parcel they will do their best to make the most of it.

It depends on the description which should be on the sending-document. A t-shirt is definetely cheaper than a football-shirt AND more chance that it will arrive safely. (if sent by regular mail)

Edited by farangpattaya