Picking Up Part Time Work In Bkk?

Hey all,

I am interested in working some part time teaching in BKK. I don't need a ton of it, there is a reason i don't want to work full time after all, but i might like it if i could pick up one or two part time jobs, or one part time job and a few private students to tutor one on one.

my question is...

Is it easy to find plenty of part time work in BKK, or are there mostly only full time offers?

Language schools, agencies, private tutoring, whatever, i'm fine with any and all of it, i have experience teaching a variety of different ages, and class sizes, so it's all good.

If i arrive in BKK, and hit the job search hard, will i have any problem picking up enough part time work?

You need a work permit to do any work, paid or not in Thailand, period. See threads about working in Thailand and work permits. I know people that own businesses that can't work in them. My visa says employment prohibited, it's a retirement visa.

Good luck, Jimi

You need a work permit to do any work, paid or not in Thailand, period. See threads about working in Thailand and work permits. I know people that own businesses that can't work in them. My visa says employment prohibited, it's a retirement visa.

Good luck, Jimi

You should be able to get work, however, it sometimes take some time to build up a clientele.

Hummm... there is pretty much complete disparity between these two comments.

so what should i be going with here...?

There are some pinned topics at the top of the teaching sub forum that you might need to read. I also suggest you read the visa section. You need to have the correct visa and you are required to obtain a work permit.

You asked about finding work, and you probably can, but legally you need to get a work permit. This is done by the employer or at least with his consent and/or assistance.

hummm... i remember making a thread many months back that ended up at this same point.

I'm not saying anybodies wrong, as i honestly don't know, but what is it that makes people well experienced with Thailand argue with each other on this point.

Some say, you need a WP to do any work at all.

Others say you can easily teach without a WP.

What causes the confusion and disagreement amoung people that have a lot of experience with Thailand? it seems you would all be able to reach consensus.

What causes the confusion and disagreement amoung people that have a lot of experience with Thailand? it seems you would all be able to reach consensus.

There is no confusion.

Many posters here will come from different regions within Thailand. Sometimes the local 'rules' are more relaxed regarding WP's and visas. Some areas will turn a 'blind eye' as long as you don't make waves.

You have been given the legal position in that a WP is required in order to work.

It is more difficult in Bangkok to work without a WP. Other areas such as Issan there are more opprtunities to work 'under the radar'.

The part time work you are considering along with 1 to 1 tuition requires a WP and that will not be easy to obtain without a sponsor.

It's your choice. Work legally or not.

Edited by Phatcharanan

hummm... i remember making a thread many months back that ended up at this same point.

I'm not saying anybodies wrong, as i honestly don't know, but what is it that makes people well experienced with Thailand argue with each other on this point.

Some say, you need a WP to do any work at all.

Others say you can easily teach without a WP.

I have a friend living in Bangkok , he's been working as a teacher for 4 years without a work permit. But he is aware of the risks of course.

Hummm...

i'm still hearing some people saying, work in BKK can be gotten without a WP, and other's saying it absolutely cannot.

I have a friend living in Bangkok , he's been working as a teacher for 4 years without a work permit. But he is aware of the risks of course.

Balo, honestly speaking, do you believe your friend to be the exception to the rule, or do you think there are many like him, working illegally in BKK?

Phatcharanan, i understand what you are saying about teaching in the provinces Vs. teaching in BKK, but Balo here is saying his friend is teaching in BKK without a work permit?

I'm just trying to figure out, what to believe, and what to go with.

Is there anything concrete i can see, to help me decide if it would be a big mistake for me to look for work in BKK with no degree?

I don't know what you want us to say or to agree about. It is ILLEGAL to work as a teacher without a work permit. Employers seldom, if ever, get into trouble for it, so they are more than willing to hire people illegally. Employees work illegally because they either have to or the employer won't cooperate in doing the paper work for a work permit.

People drive drunk; it's illegal, but some people do it.

People speed, it's illegal, but some people do it.

No matter how many times you ask, you are going to come up with the same parameters.

Hummm...

i'm still hearing some people saying, work in BKK can be gotten without a WP, and other's saying it absolutely cannot.

Balo, honestly speaking, do you believe your friend to be the exception to the rule, or do you think there are many like him, working illegally in BKK?

Phatcharanan, i understand what you are saying about teaching in the provinces Vs. teaching in BKK, but Balo here is saying his friend is teaching in BKK without a work permit?

I'm just trying to figure out, what to believe, and what to go with.

Is there anything concrete i can see, to help me decide if it would be a big mistake for me to look for work in BKK with no degree?

There are teachers working illegally here but most of them receives a lower salary , some schools just dont care about your degree or work permit and will give you a job as long as you're a native english speaker.

Edited by balo

I don't know what you want us to say or to agree about. It is ILLEGAL to work as a teacher without a work permit. Employers seldom, if ever, get into trouble for it, so they are more than willing to hire people illegally. Employees work illegally because they either have to or the employer won't cooperate in doing the paper work for a work permit.

People drive drunk; it's illegal, but some people do it.

People speed, it's illegal, but some people do it.

No matter how many times you ask, you are going to come up with the same parameters.

Ok Scott, you've answered my questions and responded to my post and been very helpful, in both this and my other thread, thank you for that.

I understand your annoyance at me now, sorry it seems we aren't on the same wave lengths here, so i will try to be more clear...

I am not asking about legality, i understand it is illegal, not am i asking for anybody here to aid me in illegal behavior.

I am only asking...

if i show up in Bangkok, land there and am on the ground

Can if find enough part time work, from agencies/language schools/private tutoring, to make at least 15 - 20k a month from all of it combined despite not having a degree?

If i searched hard and really kept up with the job search would i have enough part time work within 2-3 weeks of arrival despite not having a degree?

Those are my two questions

I repeat, i am not asking anything about the legality of it all, i fully understand where i will stand on that issue without a degree.

I am simply asking, if, even without a degree, i can find enough work, doesn't even have to be a great job, just a job.

That's all i am asking, is the work there even for those without a degree, i am asking nothing about issues of legality.

hope that clears any confusion about why i keep posting.

i keep posting because i haven't really got a clear answer to my question yet.

Can i expect to find enough part time work, without a degree?

I'm simply looking for a "yes you can" or 'no you can't" and a little bit of an explanation.

That's all i am looking for, sorry if it i gave cause for confusion.

Yes you can! Explanation - There is plenty of work, either privately or with one of the many language schools. The more reputable schools will not employ you! I am acquainted with several people working in Bangkok as English language teachers who do not have a work permit! They are aware of the ramifications if caught, but continue to teach! Such is the attraction of living and working in Thailand. I am here working (not as a teacher) with a work permit, for fairly low wages (compared to my home country) but with my pension I am comfortable and I love the people, the climate, the food, the lifestyle and the language.

Edited by midasthailand

Yes you can! Explanation - There is plenty of work, either privately or with one of the many language schools. The more reputable schools will not employ you! I am acquainted with several people working in Bangkok as English language teachers who do not have a work permit! They are aware of the ramifications if caught, but continue to teach! Such is the attraction of living and working in Thailand. I am here working (not as a teacher) with a work permit, for fairly low wages (compared to my home country) but with my pension I am comfortable and I love the people, the climate, the food, the lifestyle and the language.

Ok, here we go, that is what i was looking for, and not just because the answer was yes, if it was no, that would also be what i was looking for.

However since you answered yes, i'll ask you a bit more.

Do you know what the best way to get this type of work would be? On the internet? Walking around the city? Phone calls? anything else i'm not thinking of?

Also i have experience teaching English in China, and there it really doesn't matter what kind of attire one wears to either an interview or to their job, at least not as far as the foreign teachers are concerned. i've heard it's different in Thailand.

Will i be expected to show up in a suite and tie, even for an interview with a language school? if not what would be the expected attire?

even if i needed a suite for the interview, would i also be expected to wear one during my classes?

i know a lot of you guys aren't teachers yourselves so the info your giving me is second hand, and therefor you might not be able to answer all the above questions, but i appreciate whatever it is you can tell me.

You need to dress nicely. Preferably a long-sleeved dress shirt and tie with dress pants and nice well shined shoes. You will need to check all sources for information: Newspapers, internet and doing leg work. Most shopping malls have a few language schools, so start there. These places usually have a bevy of part-time teachers and a rather high turnover rate, I suspect. So, you might get lucky and walk in as someone has announced they are quitting or cutting back on the number of hours.

There are a lot of ads, but don't restrict yourself to those that want teachers; look at ads that offer English classes as well.

Do not post any commercial links in the open forum. If you have a commercial link, then send it by PM to the requesting poster.

Ah...ok.

Well then, if anybody has any agencies/language schools they can recommend to me, or point me in the right direction on, i'd really appreciate a PM with that information.

It's OK to go ahead and pass on information--just make sure that what you put in the forum does not directly link to another commercial forum. That usually means leaving the http part off the site and posters can then write the address in.