Lightest Family Motocycle / Scooter

chantorn

What is the lightest and easy to ride bike available in Thailand. It must be street legal, not a moped. I am think of buying my first light and easy to ride bike. This is for going around the soi and do simple shopping. Speed is not a concern, however is must be light weight, with electric starter, and need minimum maintenance. Don't have to be automatic, BUT must have no clutch.

Reason for looking for a light bike is because I am quite a small build. Plus it will be my 1st time on bike, a step change from my bicycle.

What do you think about Honda Click or Honda Icon? Is it possible to add a basket it front?

I heard that Honda Wave often get stolen and it has high demand from neighboring countries.

I think the Tiger Retro could be some of the lightest bikes with 80 kg dry weight only . it has autoclutch just as you know it from the Wave and a basket can also be fitted. here some more info (scroll down): http://tigersachsclub.com/tproducts.html

The Retro is easy to ride, but the front brake is something you have to get used to.

New Price is 29800 thb and comes with 3 years or 30000km(whatever comes first) warranty.

hope that helps,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Not so long ago I had a look at the Sym Bonus-X a 110cc modern build cub/wave style motorcycle. With perfect working brakes and excellent engine. Price of the Bonus-X is 31,900 Baht.

The price of the Honda Wave 110i with fuel-injection and electric starter starts at 38,000 Baht.

(Sym is a Taiwanese manufacturer who just joint the Thai motorcycle market)

post-12170-071952200 1281970151_thumb.gi

Edited by Richard-BKK

Not so long ago I had a look at the Sym Bonus-X a 110cc modern build cub/wave style motorcycle. With perfect working brakes and excellent engine. Price of the Bonus-X is 31,900 Baht.

Hi Richard

If you only had a look how do you know the brakes & engine work excellent?:whistling: Or did you testride it?:rolleyes:

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

I got my girlfriend a Honda Icon about 2 years ago, it has been very good to her so far. She's only 148cm and around 38kg, so we needed to find something small and light, but still able to get her anywhere she needed to go. I don't have really anything bad to say about it, it continues to serve its purpose well, she has no trouble handling the bike in traffic,or parking, or riding two-up, and she's put a lot of km on it and still runs fine. I guess the only down-side is that its a really small bike, no storage space. We've never tried to put a basket on it, not sure if you can. It is electric start, full auto, all we've done to it is change the wear-and-tear bits - oil, tires, brakes, etc. If you really need a small bike for a small-sized person, I'd recommend it.

All the small bikes are light enough for even kids to handle them, so that really shouldn't be a worry... In fact, a little bit of weight is good for stability. At the level of 100-150cc step-thru bikes, the weight differences are pretty negligible.

It is really more about how well balanced a bike is. I recently rode the new Ducati Multistrada, which is 200 kilos and it was much easier to handle while moving or at a standstill than my 170kg bike.

And brand does matter. The Syms and even the Tigers (which are well priced) are reputedly reliable, but most of the mainland Chinese makes are crap and start rusting and falling to bits in short order. You want something reliable that is popular so that spare parts are plentiful and cheap.

I would recommend that you splash out on disc brakes, which are much stronger and more subtle than drum brakes - much safer for a newcomer to motorbike riding.

As for baskets and such, you can add rear racks and plastic top cases easily in many shops. I'm sure they could do you a front basket as well, but these are kind of impractical at night as they tend to partially block the headlight beam.

By the way, to clear up a myth, or at least a misnomer, there are no mopeds in Thailand. People frequently call the small step-thrus "mopeds", but they are not, they are just a small motorcycle with a tank under the seat, making it easy to mount and dismount (and so women and Scotsmen could ride them while wearing a skirt). Ultimately, they are all based on the original Honda Super Cub design that came out in 1958 - a brilliant design that has sold +60 million units for Honda alone - it financed their move into cars, in fact.

Anyway, mopeds have "functioning" pedals and in almost all countries are restricted to 50cc, and a top speed of 50km/h. They are slow and dangerous and were created as a legal loophole for easier licensing so teenagers could kill themselves without first getting a proper license. Most modern step-thrus can easily hit 100km/h (faster than is really safe given the short wheelbase and the narrow tyres), and a lot of them can go much faster than that.

Welcome to the world of motorbikes. They are great fun and safe enough if you learn how to ride properly (which the vast majority don't do) Just because they are easy to hop onto and drive off doesn't mean you are riding properly. Get someone who knows what they are doing (like an experienced big bike rider) to show you the finer points of proper braking and cornering and you'll substantially reduce your chances of getting hurt. Good luck.

I would go with an automatic scooter since it will be the easiest to ride and maintain.

No need to waste time shifting when you can just concentrate on avoiding people, dogs, and traffic instead.

It's hard to find published weights for all the bikes so you should just go to a few dealers and ride them all.

The multi brand dealer on Rama 9/ West of Ratchada wouldn't let me test ride their bikes so I went to the Yamaha Square on Phanon Yothin and they let me try all their bikes.

As far as storage goes, you can buy a rack and a rear topbin from Dr Bike in Lat Phrao.

I think baskets are asking to get wet and its contents.

I have a Givi 30 topbin, but it is of inferior design to the Shad 40 I have as well.

I suggest the 40 cubic liter so you can lock a full helmet, or a lot of groceries if need be and they wont get wet.

Just be careful if you load it up with lots of heavy things like a case of soda because the bike will become top heavy.

Yamaha Mio is one of the smallest automatic scooters i have seen,anyone could drive one

Bad gas mileage and questionable reliability. Our nanny has one, lots of issues, she finally got rid of it. This is for a 5 year old model. Maybe automatics are less reliable, I don't know, but my 5 year old Wave has zero issues. It just works.

I'd recommend any Honda ... many auto and semi-auto models to choose from, they're all small... Scoopy-i, Click-i, I think for a beginner an automatic is easier than a step-through. You're less likely to have accidents in the first week. On the other hand, step through is more reliable (just look at the number of 20 year old Honda Dreams riding around Thailand)... and you're going to be used to it after a week max.

Wow, I seems to be spoil of choices. I did a google on Tiger Retro. The price is seems to be very attractive. I drive to work on weekdays, so the mileage I will put on my protential bilke will be minimal. I will go and take a look, but I don't think I have seen a Tiger shop anywhere near Rama 3 area before. Need to see the real thing before I can decide.

And thanks many posters who warn me about cheap bike and suggest that I stay with the mainstream Japanese. I will certainly go and take a look at the Yamaha Mio as suggested. But to me Yammaha always sound like a music instrument I grew up with. I once saw a Suzuki scooter with 2 round eyes in front. I though it looks quite cute. But I hardly see it again. I suppose it is not very popular.

Thanks for the advise about the basket. It seems that most of you support the box at the back rather than a front basket. I quite like the design of the scooter with a flat floor as you can place your shopping bags in the leg area. But will it be difficult to control as the weight of the hanging bags shift from side to side like a pendulum?. Has anyone think of a design to add a removable bucket on the flat floor for wet market shopping? My dad is from the previous generation who think that supermarket food and mostly pre-frozen, and cannot beat the freshness of a wet market. I like to think otherwise.

Wow, I seems to be spoil of choices. I did a google on Tiger Retro. The price is seems to be very attractive. I drive to work on weekdays, so the mileage I will put on my protential bilke will be minimal. I will go and take a look, but I don't think I have seen a Tiger shop anywhere near Rama 3 area before. Need to see the real thing before I can decide.

And thanks many posters who warn me about cheap bike and suggest that I stay with the mainstream Japanese. I will certainly go and take a look at the Yamaha Mio as suggested. But to me Yammaha always sound like a music instrument I grew up with. I once saw a Suzuki scooter with 2 round eyes in front. I though it looks quite cute. But I hardly see it again. I suppose it is not very popular.

Thanks for the advise about the basket. It seems that most of you support the box at the back rather than a front basket. I quite like the design of the scooter with a flat floor as you can place your shopping bags in the leg area. But will it be difficult to control as the weight of the hanging bags shift from side to side like a pendulum?. Has anyone think of a design to add a removable bucket on the flat floor for wet market shopping? My dad is from the previous generation who think that supermarket food and mostly pre-frozen, and cannot beat the freshness of a wet market. I like to think otherwise.

Hi,

There is a Tiger Showroom in BKK and you have details here: http://www.tigersachsclub.com/Contact.html

You could go there to check out the retro....to be sure that a retro is there, better to make an appointment either at the mentioned Phone nr or you can PM me.

The Tiger Retro 110C is actually also running on E20 (even on E85 but E85 is rarely available)

I tested the Retro before (last year) and i am getting mine this week...with a few things added that i arranged aftermarket( giving quite some storage too). Will post pics once i have it.

Happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Hi Richard

If you only had a look how do you know the brakes & engine work excellent?:whistling: Or did you testride it?:rolleyes:

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Indeed, I need to confess I did more than just looking. The front disc brake is able to stop the motorcycle, including an average rider of 70kg in less then 2.5 meters at a speed of 50km/h while pressure applied on the brake lever is a lot less compared to our own Honda Wave.

It's never a bad idea to buy a Japanese brand name, but remember they are also just made in Thailand. And like the Yamaha Mio 125 or Suzuki Jelato 125 they also cost a good amount more. If I needed to select personally between a Yamaha Mio 125 or a Suzuki Jelato 125 I would go for the Suzuki, it has a "much" modern engine, the engine is equipped with a DCP-FI fuel-injection (The Yamaha Mio 125 is doesn't have fuel-injection). And like most other fuel-injection systems the Suzuki DCP-FI doesn't need a fuel-pump in the gas-tank therefore the fuel-pump cannot heat-up the petrol.

Edited by Richard-BKK

What is the lightest and easy to ride bike available in Thailand. It must be street legal, not a moped. I am think of buying my first light and easy to ride bike. This is for going around the soi and do simple shopping. Speed is not a concern, however is must be light weight, with electric starter, and need minimum maintenance. Don't have to be automatic, BUT must have no clutch.

Appears to be more and more Electric bike about, if your not going that far maybe an idea ?

From my understanding.. cost about 4 baht for charging good for 35 - 50 km, 50 baht per year road tax, cost from 19 - 38,000 baht... Only one moving part in a electric engine so not much to go wrong.... Tiger also do 'E' bikes,

LOTS HERE

http://www.weloveshopping.com/template/e1/s_product.php?groupproduct=426217&shopid=126632

Appears to be more and more Electric bike about, if your not going that far maybe an idea ?

From my understanding.. cost about 4 baht for charging good for 35 - 50 km, 50 baht per year road tax, cost from 19 - 38,000 baht... Only one moving part in a electric engine so not much to go wrong.... Tiger also do 'E' bikes,

LOTS HERE

http://www.welovesho...7&shopid=126632

Thanks for your suggestion, but I will pass on electric. When the battery expires, I think it will cost a lot to replace.

One quick question. You mention about 50 baht per year road tax; are you saying that it is street legal?

By the way, to clear up a myth, or at least a misnomer, there are no mopeds in Thailand. People frequently call the small step-thrus "mopeds", but they are not, they are just a small motorcycle with a tank under the seat, making it easy to mount and dismount (and so women and Scotsmen could ride them while wearing a skirt). Ultimately, they are all based on the original Honda Super Cub design that came out in 1958 - a brilliant design that has sold +60 million units for Honda alone - it financed their move into cars, in fact.

Anyway, mopeds have "functioning" pedals and in almost all countries are restricted to 50cc, and a top speed of 50km/h. They are slow and dangerous and were created as a legal loophole for easier licensing so teenagers could kill themselves without first getting a proper license. Most modern step-thrus can easily hit 100km/h (faster than is really safe given the short wheelbase and the narrow tyres), and a lot of them can go much faster than that.

Legally moped has evolved to mean any low power restricted bike.. Not only pedal equipped ones.

Certainly is this way under uk law.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I will pass on electric. When the battery expires, I think it will cost a lot to replace.

One quick question. You mention about 50 baht per year road tax; are you saying that it is street legal?

No idea, In the Village a lady has had a small one for years NO Number plate, another has one for about 2 years she has a white Thai number plate, and a girl has just bought a new one last week as yet no number plate.. The Ironing Lady on the one with the numberplates told me the road tax was 50 baht per year she has the tax in a plastice folder on the numberplate

I am sure others can give a better answer.

Legally moped has evolved to mean any low power restricted bike.. Not only pedal equipped ones.

I have to agree with LivinLOS, Thailand surely has Mopeds – the law has a provision for bicycles with an additional engine. The article is a bit old, but, basically everything below 110cc is a moped.

Because of the moped law in Thailand, kids, 17-years or younger, can commute on a scooter or motorcycle with less then 110cc engine size to school.

Edited by Richard-BKK

Are they legally named "moped" by the relevant ministry? As in "Mo" = Motor and "Ped" = Pedals I had assumed that the misnomer slang term had not yet become official.

I have to agree with LivinLOS, Thailand surely has Mopeds – the law has a provision for bicycles with an additional engine. The article is a bit old, but, basically everything below 110cc is a moped.

Because of the moped law in Thailand, kids, 17-years or younger, can commute on a scooter or motorcycle with less then 110cc engine size to school.

That would certainly explain all the 50cc scooters you see in Chiang Mai - you rarely see them in Bangkok though... but again, are they called "mopeds" in Thai? (If so, most likely pronounced mo-PET")

In any case, my remark was about semantics, ultimately... I suppose it won't be long before "brb" and "l8tr" make it into the OED.

Yamaha Mio is one of the smallest automatic scooters i have seen,anyone could drive one

Bad gas mileage and questionable reliability. Our nanny has one, lots of issues, she finally got rid of it. This is for a 5 year old model. Maybe automatics are less reliable, I don't know, but my 5 year old Wave has zero issues. It just works.

I'd recommend any Honda ... many auto and semi-auto models to choose from, they're all small... Scoopy-i, Click-i, I think for a beginner an automatic is easier than a step-through. You're less likely to have accidents in the first week. On the other hand, step through is more reliable (just look at the number of 20 year old Honda Dreams riding around Thailand)... and you're going to be used to it after a week max.

I bought my wife a Mio Fino scooter nearly 4 years ago and other than a set of tyres and a battery a year it just runs on and on with regular servicing.

It has about 29,000 km and the tyre and battery problems are down to my wife buying the cheapest she can.

I am 112 kg and I ride it as easily as she does at 49 kg except she can probably go faster.

Note to self

Next time buy a laptop that can spell

Edited by billd766

To the best of my knowledge, flat floor models have automatic transmissions - which goes to both ease of driving and weight. My personal view is that automatic transmissions are far easier to drive in heavy traffic or sudden situations, but some disagree. Automatics cost more and use more fuel, but if they are new, they also allow for cheaper gasahol. Among automatics, I too like the 'Zuki, for power (125)/price. But re-sale prices are better for Hondas in this country. You are correct in thinking that a reliable shop, particularly a dealer during the warranty period, is handy.

As for weight, the somewhat heavier automatics have a very low center of gravity, but they do not "drive" or tilt heavily - nor is the weight difference great. In short, of itself, weight disadvantages are hardy noticeable.

I drove flat-floored automatics in Europe for about three years, and for me (with or without a baggage hook), I could scarcely notice the difference when I carried a load, including gobs of laundry. Tires are wider there, however, so I can add that I don't find carrying things on the floor a bother here either, and of course with an automatic transmission, brakes are in the hands - you don't need to use your feet.

The basket problem comes from the light location. Manufacturers are rarely mounting lights up with the handlebars any more (so that the light goes where you are steering), either for the purpose of looks, the reason that it is cheaper to build into the front, or because drivers such as myself keep covering up the headlight with purchases. However, baskets are inexpensive while rear "top boxes" cost more.

Importantly, a study of local drivers will show you that a few shock cords, or a spider cord, or plastic bags, mounted as one develops experience, allows us to fetch home pianos, kitchen sinks, hogs, and the like, often attached to the mirrors or held by passengers. Dogs properly trained can come along on the rear seat.

Edited by CMX

That would certainly explain all the 50cc scooters you see in Chiang Mai - you rarely see them in Bangkok though... but again, are they called "mopeds" in Thai? (If so, most likely pronounced mo-PET")

In any case, my remark was about semantics, ultimately... I suppose it won't be long before "brb" and "l8tr" make it into the OED.

Lots of people if you ask about motorcycle history in Thailand, they come up with the name Honda, and second the name Cub comes up. But what most people don't know, it that the original Honda Cub was nothing like the Honda Cub we all have in our minds (or looked like the Tiger Retro 110).

The original Honda Cub F-type looks like this;

4_honda-cub-f-type.jpg

And early promotion caravans in the streets looked like this...

post-12170-004836600 1282031906_thumb.jp

Edited by Richard-BKK

Later the model what later would evolve into what we now know as the CBR series is the Honda A-type.

3_honda-cub-a-type.jpg

Of course I'm joking about this being related to the Honda CBR series, as its still very much related to the early Cub models.

At last, a true example of a moped.

Here is another, though it only represents a model of which 14 million were made.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobylette

As for a Thai law says that a moped is the same as scooter or a motorbike, it is just another example that everywhere on earth in certain cases, "the law is an ass - an idiot."

Later the model what later would evolve into what we now know as the CBR series is the Honda A-type.

3_honda-cub-a-type.jpg

Of course I'm joking about this being related to the Honda CBR series, as its still very much related to the early Cub models.

Wow, I am impress. Now I can see the whole evolution of a motorcycle.

Thai term is popb rot.. Thats not for pedals but for low power scooter.

Edited by LivinLOS

As for a Thai law says that a moped is the same as scooter or a motorbike, it is just another example that everywhere on earth in certain cases, "the law is an ass - an idiot."

Not just Thailand.. Look in the UK.. the 'pedal's part of the mo-ped gt dropped around the FS1E era and a moped license is for any 50cc under some set hp bike.

The pedals were dropped in 1977 only a coupel of years after I was born !! Mopeds havent been defined by pedals in pretty much my lifetime.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_10016249

What is a moped?

A moped is a motorcycle that has the following features:

• maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kilometres per hour (km/h) (about 31 miles per hour (mph)
  • an engine capacity no greater than 50 cc
  • it can be moved by pedals, if the moped was first used before 1 September 1977