Bad Skype / Internet Connection

as2100dk

Hi there,

My girlfriend is in Thailand. Unfortunately I am not... yet!

So we stay in touch by sms, phonecalls and Skype. However we are having some problems with Skype and/or the internet connection (hers).

She can see and hear me very clearly. But her video is very unclear (and starts and stops) for me on my computer and the sounds is also not good.

I guess it has something to do with the speed of her internet connection? I was just thinking that if this was actually the reason, that my video on her computer should also be unclear - which is not the case.

Any good suggestions? I guess upgrading her internet connection would be a solution... but will this solve the problem? Any other suggestions?

She lives in Bangkok.

Thank you in advance!

There is a difference in upload and download speed.

Upload is usually higher so your video could be clear but hers to you not.

There is a computer forum you would get better advice there..

I have 1mb here in mid Thailand you can upgrade it but my friends restaurant she has a faster internet connection than me but still gets problems.

I also find this time of the year is the rainey season and is worse than other times of the year also I believe it's over subsribed and has bad cable connection.

In Bangkok I would of thought your girlfriend would get a better service.

Ok let me make it more clear

suppose you have 10240 (download) and 4096 upload

she has 1024 download and 512 upload

That means you get her signal with max 512 ( her upload and your download hen her upload is the limiting factor)

She gets your signal with max 1024

So that could explain why you cant see her and she can see you better

Doesnt mean internet is not working and its a viable explanation for the problem.

I'd check her computer settings and also make sure she has the latest version of Skype. If she is using an external webcam and microphone they may need to be upgraded as well. My wife and I are in the USA and use Skype almost daily to talk to family in Uttaradit. They have a 1mbs connection and very rarely have any trouble with Skype, video and audio are very solid. There were some video and audio problems on their end about a year ago but they bought a new webcam and that took care of the problem. Good luck with the troubleshooting.