Tipanee Cable Vrs. Sophon ?

JimmyTheMook

I'm using Tippmanee (TMN) at the moment.

Quality is similar compared to Sophon

TMN has 92 channels and Sophon 63

Rate: TMN THB 350-THB 400 against Sophon THB 300-THB 350

Installation fee: TMN THB 1500 against Sophon THB ?

The owners of TMN are the son and daughter of the Sophon owners.

Won't be surprised if the hardware is one and the same company.

If TMN covers yoiur area, it's always a better deal

[/quote

Can any reader confirm or deny posters assumption that TMN has the "History" channel.

I agree that is a very worthwhile aspect if true.

I switched to TMN from Banglamung Cable (BTV) about nine months ago. At the time, BTV was hopeless, the picture quality was terrible and the sound was worse. TMN was like a breath of fresh air and the signal quality on almost every channel is still better than BTV ever achieved. I've no complaints about TMN customer service either. I have no experience of Sophon so cannot comment on this.

The available channels on TMN are, I suspect, much the same as on any Pattaya cable system. Predominantly Thai but with a good mix of foreign channels as well. We did lose some of the best channels when the DSTV African satellites were re-allocated. Substitute channels were provided but, in my opinion, are not as useful, to me, as the previous ones were.

I don't think that the History Channel is available - unless it's been added recently and I just haven't found it.

I'm paying 1000 Baht per 3 months - slightly cheaper by the year - and I paid no installation fee. On the day that I sacked BTV for incompetence I called in to the TMN office on Soi Khao Noi and was connected within 2 hours. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the TMN service.

DM

• 1 year later...

[/quote

Can any reader confirm or deny posters assumption that TMN has the "History" channel.

I agree that is a very worthwhile aspect if true.

It has a channel called Bio which is a part of the History channel but it doesn't have all the good History stuff.

Just the same TMN cable will do deals, we paid 1,800 for 6 months and they gave us 1 month & installation free, so we got 7 months for 1,800 installed. Quite good really. It has a few more english channels than Sophon and doesn't seem to go down as much as Sophon used to but maybe that's just because Sophon was a very theme oriented business ;-)

TMN only has 1 English Language Movie Channel where Sophon has 2 or 3. But with TMN you can buy a Cable decoder (one of payment of 5500 THB) and you can get around 14-16 extra channels (you will get lots of Sports channels and also the History channel). They are showing the add for this all the time on Channels (73 and 91) which are the English Movie Channel and the English Series Channel.

Edited by MJCM

I remember when TMN started, it had fabulous sports, news and film channels, now it's crap, same boring ads and interviews, poor sports (unless u like golf and tennis) yesterday nearly all movies black and white.Seems all they want to do is sell their de-coders, still makes me get off my butt and get out of the flat

I remember when TMN started, it had fabulous sports, news and film channels, now it's crap, same boring ads and interviews, poor sports (unless u like golf and tennis) yesterday nearly all movies black and white.Seems all they want to do is sell their de-coders, still makes me get off my butt and get out of the flat

True, my friend has it in his new house, but he wanted Sophon, but they insisted that his village doesn't even exists.

So he got TMN, but now Sophon is available and he wants to change, but now he can't anymore because TMN has 2 Chinese / Thai series Channel (Channel 4 & 5) and his wife loves these...

True, my friend has it in his new house, but he wanted Sophon, but they insisted that his village doesn't even exists.

So he got TMN, but now Sophon is available and he wants to change, but now he can't anymore because TMN has 2 Chinese / Thai series Channel (Channel 4 & 5) and his wife loves these...

To be fair TMN caters well for Thais, Russians and Arabs its just the rest of us have to watch garbage , and their main presenter Peter(I think) is so bad he's great