Just A Quick Answer Needed For A Quick Question

Dondi

I'm in the stages of finishing my BA and thought it'll be an experience to teach English overseas. Now, im a native English speaker and obviously have no problems what so ever speaking to language with proper grammer.

Just I have one thing on my mind that does make me a little nervous.

Do you need to spell alot of English words for the students or is it mainly teaching them how to pronouce it and use the right grammer when needed?

I can spell of course but as most people i get nervous and i wouldnt like to make mistakes in my spelling when im teaching it :D

Would it be easier to just teach a class of youngsters?

I'm just curious :o

Thanks

I'm in the stages of finishing my BA and thought it'll be an experience to teach English overseas. Now, im a native English speaker and obviously have no problems what so ever speaking to language with proper grammer.

(clip)

Obviously. :o

And with that type of post, on a teacher's forum taboot, ....troll? :D

Indeed. I often get their, there and they're confused...or not so much confused but I type as a speak and mess up. Also our and are often seem to get mixed up and yet I honestly know the difference.

Spell check your lesson plans, make sure any words you have problems with you get them down right...and you shouldn't have a massive problem. Even the greatest spellers can get thrown when standing in front of a class of students. I remember one lesson I had where I to do the past tense of listen, I was there thinking...do I just add a d...it seems so plausible. Ended up asking the class first and then realised what a plonker I'd been :o

Just I have one thing on my mind that does make me a little nervous.

Do you need to spell alot of English words for the students or is it mainly teaching them how to pronouce it and use the right grammer when needed?

I can spell of course but as most people i get nervous and i wouldnt like to make mistakes in my spelling when im teaching it :D

Would it be easier to just teach a class of youngsters?

I'm just curious :o

Thanks

does posting make you nervous??? you might want to find out how to spell grammar first of all. :D:D

The first time I had to teach how to pronounce the three regular endings for the past tense, I was given an excellent hand-out that I gave to each M4 student. As we went through the lists of the three sounds for 'ed' I found one that just didn't seem right. I was sure it went in the 'sounds like a /d/' list, instead of the 'sounds like a /t/' list, or vice versa. I lost it completely; made a fool of myself. After class, some native speaker sorted it out for me. It can be tricky.

One way you save yourself (as I'm trying to save this thread), is to show your students that farang ajarn not only make mistakes, we ADMIT it. After all - if you're proceeding on the theory that you're actually teaching, and the students are actually learning - you don't want to teach it wrong and leave it alone.

The first time I had to teach how to pronounce the three regular endings for the past tense, I was given an excellent hand-out that I gave to each M4 student.  As we went through the lists of the three sounds for 'ed' I found one that just didn't seem right.  I was sure it went in the 'sounds like a /d/' list, instead of the 'sounds like a /t/' list, or vice versa.  I lost it completely; made a fool of myself.  After class, some native speaker sorted it out for me.  It can be tricky.

One way you save yourself (as I'm trying to save this thread), is to show your students that farang ajarn not only make mistakes, we ADMIT it.  After all - if you're proceeding on the theory that you're actually teaching, and the students are actually learning - you don't want to teach it wrong and leave it alone.

Now that's a good post. :D

But for the first timer coming or hoping to come in to the work force I think the OP has to realize he/she can expect to be working for someone, somewhere who is going to step on them for the basics. Better it begins here and the OP thinks about their task at hand than learning it firsthand from an Asian superintendent. :D

It's the same in all fields of work. :D

We all take our lumps. Some of us chew before we swallow. :o

But who knows, maybe it's different here in Thailand. :D

Anyway OP, good luck...keep the ambition. That's where good teachers start. :D

What a high and mighty sanctimonious prima donna you are Moebius. Do you get dizzy looking down your nose from such a great height?

You make me laugh though ... keep it up !

:o

Edited by Gumleaf

Well i am in the process of trying to get my school to install a white board with spell check. :o

We all make a mistake from time to time, depending on the level of your students most will not actually notice, but if i do make a spelling mistake and some one does notice it i make a big fuss of how smart they are. My main problem is they are to shy to speak and of making mistakes so if i make one now and again they feel better about doing the same. Mistakes can be used to your advantage.

Oh, my God. These poor Thai kids. :D

Don't be too hard on him/her. Assuming he/she's not a troll, he/she's at least much better at English than most Thai English teachers, and that's justification enough for having them out in the boonies, at least.

Now, Bangkok would be another kettle of fish.

"Another kettle of fish" .. I JUST HAVE to get my hands on a copy of this book of quotes. dr Pong? .. have any photo copies?

GM

PS .. random spelling errors inserted .. waiting for a nibble

:o

Oh, my God. These poor Thai kids. :o

Don't be too hard on him/her. Assuming he/she's not a troll, he/she's at least much better at English than most Thai English teachers, and that's justification enough for having them out in the boonies, at least.

Now, Bangkok would be another kettle of fish.

Yes, I understand - any native English "speaker" is better "in the boonies" than a Thai, but in Bangkok I think he wouldn't stand a chance. I would hope so, anyway. :D "Think of the children. Please! Think of the children" - I'm sure that's a famous quote from somebody.