The "Best" Way To Get To Koh Tao

Hi All,<BR><BR>Following a sucessful drive and ferry trip to Samui (from Bangkok) my thoughts now turn to a trip to Koh Tao. I've been there several times - as a tourist not an expat - and so I flew to Samui and got Lomprahya...... but that's a bit pricey for me these days, and truthfully it still takes 6 or 7 hours by the time you get to the airport and wait there for 1 hour, get a 1.5 hour flight, half hour at the other end getting bags, then an hour or two between getting to Big Buddha and wiating for the boat, and another 1.5 hours on the boat..... altogether 6-7 hours..... 10k per head lighter of pocket!<BR><BR>So - as the title says, what the best way to get to Ko Toa ...... drive to Chumpon and park up? Is there somehwere safe to let the car? How long is the boat from Chumpon? All round, how long should it take from Bangkok to Chumpon to Ko Toa? The ferry need not be the fastest, so long as its the most comfortable.<BR><BR>Or, is there a "VIP" bus & boat option from Bangkok. I've gone the backpacker cheap-and-nasty way a few years ago, and wouldn't fancy it with a family...... but if I could get one of those 21 seater VIP coaches - at a reasonable price and in reasonable comfort, then I might try that.<BR><BR>Any other options, thoughts, or suggestions all greatly received!<BR><BR>Thanks in advance.<BR><BR>CM

Night sleeper first class from BKK to Chumphon. Lomprayah to Tao around 1.5 - 2 hours and you are there. Far more comfortable and safer than the bus / ferry plus with first class you get your own little waiter to fetch the beer or food. Or you can drive down to the ferry terminal at Chumphon and leave the car, quite safe, and take the ferry to Tao. :D

I might give the night sleeper thing a try - something different. I did it years ago, but wasn't first class. I head you get your own private cabin? What's that gonna be like with wife and child in tow? Any idea of a time table / schedule?

THanks a mil for both your input.

I hear the lomphraya bus is super uncomfortable.

I got the Mini Bus from Surat airport to the Lompraya catamaran pier in Donsak.

150 KPH speeds to make the ferry.

You get off the train about 280 km north of Surat Thani in Chumphon. The ferry is a short songthau drive away. Plus not sure whether you can get a ferry to Tao direct from Surat ?

Easiest way is to leave Bkk in your car, between 6 and 7 in the morning. Go direct to the Lomprayah pier and catch the boat to Koh Tao. Parking is safe, they charge 50 baht/day though. Train is nice, but slow and the schedules fit poorly with the boat