Procedures For Not Fully Legal Bike

monkeyofdoom

I will soon be getting a new bike but currently it only has an invoice. I'm going to pay the excise tax and get a green book, but of course I am itching to get out on it. I won't go anywhere until the excise tax is paid, as my understanding is that once you have paid the excise tax the BiB can no longer confiscate the bike, only write out a ticket. Is that true?

It will take a few months to get the license plate and green book. During that time I want to ride the bike. But what if I get stopped? What should I do? Just hand over 200 baht right away? Do they normally ask for it or do they write out an official more expensive fine if you give them a chance?

Any other tips in these dealings?

Agree. Where do you live?

Realistically you have 2 choices.

Have the bike impounded or run from the cops.

In Chiang Mai.

They will impound the bike even if it has invoice and excise tax receipt?

What about if I can show a receipt that the registration is in progress?

No one can answer your question with certainty, which is why no one has.

The laws may be written, but the rules in Thailand are enforced arbitrarily and depend largely on where you are riding, the officers mood and appetite for baht, and the daily/monthly quota. Generally you shouldn't get it impounded if you have the invoice with you, unless the bike looks old and the cop doesn't believe that you are legitimately still in the process of getting the book, IE he thinks you are abusing the system.

Every bit of paper you have and can show will greatly lesson the chance you will run into any problems which a small backhander can't get you out of.

Getting a greenbook will maybe not as easy of just paying the excise tax. Now-a-day a motor vehicle also needs to pass a pollution test, which includes a exhaust emission test, currently Thailand has probably the toughest emission rules on the planet. They also test if a vehicle is leaking fluids and the decibels it produces.

And if your motorcycle is confirmed to be okay and the registering process is the way, you get after some time the information that your bike is registered... but still need to wait a bit longer to get all the paperwork and plate, from that moment your motorcycle is registered and basically when police stop you it's 200 Bht for not displaying license plate.

Agree. Where do you live?

Realistically you have 2 choices.

Have the bike impounded or run from the cops.

In Chiang Mai.

They will impound the bike even if it has invoice and excise tax receipt?

What about if I can show a receipt that the registration is in progress?

Lets ask this another way..

Why do you think you can ride a non road legal unregistered machine on the road ??

If the vehicle was to fail emissions and not get the plate later.. all the paperwork you have is irrelevant, why would any country allow you to ride on a 'maybe later' idea.

Legally no way.. on the ground.. Maybe you can try.. Maybe it will work.. Maybe it will fail.. Your risk your call, no one can answer that for you.

Why do you think you can ride a non road legal unregistered machine on the road ??

If the vehicle was to fail emissions and not get the plate later.. all the paperwork you have is irrelevant, why would any country allow you to ride on a 'maybe later' idea.

Legally no way.. on the ground.. Maybe you can try.. Maybe it will work.. Maybe it will fail.. Your risk your call, no one can answer that for you.

I think I can do that because this is Thailand and a lot of rules that are enforced strictly in other countries are not enforced strictly here. I have talked to several Thai guys with bikes that have ridden their unregistered, unlicensed bikes around Bangkok for years and have been getting away with fines around 200-400. However that might be easier if you are Thai, so I was wondering whether any non-Thai had any experiences to share.

By the way, the bike is from 2008 and stock, so it will pass emissions testing, leak-testing, and noise testing. I know that because this model normally passes testing.

Does anyone know whether the various checkpoints up here in the North involve checking your bike has a license plate?

I guess if it's too much of a risk I'll just have to wait patiently until all the paperwork is done and it's fully legal :(

About 10 years back when I had my first 'big bike' in Thailand I only had an invoice.. The bike did have first class insurance and I rode it around Pattaya/Jomptien/Rayong and Chonburi without any problems apart from the occaisional routine stop by the cops.. Sometimes free, happy with my helmet and isurance/invoice. Othertimes a 100 baht might have changed hands. After that I progress thru a few more bikes mostly with red 'dealer' plates or occaisionally 'real' plates.. I found I didn't get stopped any less often despite being fully legal. However that was a few years back.. I now have a fully registered/tax paid bike but things have changed big time here in Pattaya.. I tend to be waved thru checkpoints now once they see the license plate/tax etc .. Only time I get stopped is when it's a crook on the make ..they stop any farang they see.. But I wouldn't ride a plateless bike around Pattaya now.. You're just an open target for every scamming cop in town.. Even red plates are the same now.. My neighbor has two bikes a new registered and full plated ER650n and a Kwakka enduro.. The enduro is on red plates and he seems to get stopped on a weekly basis when riding it.. The ER never attracts any attention.. I think the days of being able to potter about on a plateless bike have ended here.. may be a different story in the boonies..

Think it's best not to give them any excuse to stop you.. If you get the wrong copper you could end up in a world of problems...

I think I can do that because this is Thailand and a lot of rules that are enforced strictly in other countries are not enforced strictly here. I have talked to several Thai guys with bikes that have ridden their unregistered, unlicensed bikes around Bangkok for years and have been getting away with fines around 200-400. However that might be easier if you are Thai, so I was wondering whether any non-Thai had any experiences to share.

By the way, the bike is from 2008 and stock, so it will pass emissions testing, leak-testing, and noise testing. I know that because this model normally passes testing.

Does anyone know whether the various checkpoints up here in the North involve checking your bike has a license plate?

I guess if it's too much of a risk I'll just have to wait patiently until all the paperwork is done and it's fully legal :(

Only California spec bikes pass emission without (major) mods, adn it takes time and money to do.

New laws on redplates and no plate vehicles have just come in place, and will be strictly enforced. 30 days/3k km limit, up to 10k fines and up to 5 years in jail as i recall. TiT, developing rapidly

Have a read in most newspapers and on TV Phuket

Every bit of paper you have and can show will greatly lesson the chance you will run into any problems which a small backhander can't get you out of.

More and more now - you can not always pay-"backhander" your way out. So be be very careful when you start out being less then fully legal.

Cheers

In theory if you have paid the excise tax they cannot impound the bike. BUT you will get fined for no plate, up to 1,000b each time (usually 2-400b). Don't forget you need Tax and basic insurance(these you can get ,just use and insurance broker). Fine up to 1,000b each time for each offence.

Then the emissions testing. The bike has to go to BKK for testing 30,000b +.

What bike is it. Is it worth it.

In theory if you have paid the excise tax they cannot impound the bike. BUT you will get fined for no plate, up to 1,000b each time (usually 2-400b). Don't forget you need Tax and basic insurance(these you can get ,just use and insurance broker). Fine up to 1,000b each time for each offence.

Euro spec 2008 Honda CBR 600 RR. Worth it in my opinion. I'm aware of having to send it to Bangkok, just one of those things...

Euro spec 2008 Honda CBR 600 RR. Worth it in my opinion. I'm aware of having to send it to Bangkok, just one of those things...

I can only give you one good advice, sell your 2008 Honda CBR 600 RR in your country and when you in Thailand source another one. For example Redbaron has a nice one for 460,000 Bht (including greenbook..etc)

100402-0000432.jpg

I can only give you one good advice, sell your 2008 Honda CBR 600 RR in your country and when you in Thailand source another one. For example Redbaron has a nice one for 460,000 Bht (including greenbook..etc)

Thanks for the advice, but actually I live in Thailand and am in the process of buying the bike here, for 245,000 (invoice only). The Red Baron one is nice but a bit overpriced in my opinion, even after factoring in the green book. It's restricted, too.

Thanks for the advice, but actually I live in Thailand and am in the process of buying the bike here, for 245,000 (invoice only). The Red Baron one is nice but a bit overpriced in my opinion, even after factoring in the green book. It's restricted, too.

Engine restriction and very strict emission rules are often something what comes often together. But I hope you keep us informed about your motorcycle purchase and getting it 100% legally on the road.

Many before, tried to do what you want, and most failed – and since the April 2010 the emission rules are even stricter then ever before...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Not that I know anything, but I'd have thought there's more chance of the Euro spec bike being restricted, more than the Thai one.

As far as the emissions, they are going by Euro III standards for bikes being imported, are they not? So first off, was your bike built to those specs?

I'm not exactly sure. The bike was built for sale in Europe, imported back to Japan, then from Japan to Thailand.

As far as the emissions, they are going by Euro III standards for bikes being imported, are they not? So first off, was your bike built to those specs?

I'm not exactly sure. The bike was built for sale in Europe, imported back to Japan, then from Japan to Thailand.

a 2008 EuroIII bike can be modified to pass thai emission, which is stricter than EuroIII. Mods are usually removed after passing, so bike will not pass on next test.

Ancient Isuzu Diesel trucks belching fumes is okay - but they got to clamp down on bikes? Mmh. Sounds the law was written so that more money can be made with emissions testing etc. How come that Tiger Boxer 250 RS and other models come with green Books and plates for often less than the price of a genuine Green Book alone? In other words, no EFI or Euro 3 norm needed in every case?

Chris

Ancient Isuzu Diesel trucks belching fumes is okay - but they got to clamp down on bikes? Mmh. Sounds the law was written so that more money can be made with emissions testing etc. How come that Tiger Boxer 250 RS and other models come with green Books and plates for often less than the price of a genuine Green Book alone? In other words, no EFI or Euro 3 norm needed in every case?

Chris

EFI is not needed to pass LOS emission which is stricter than Euro III. Most Yamahas still have carbs, Fino, Nouvo, 650 and 1100 V-star, all passing Calif and LOS emission

Ancient vehicles passed the emission requirements at that time. Euro IV is to be required in LOS for diesel vehicles by January 2012, since 2005? Euro III has been requiered. Some engines present in LOS have problems passing EuroIV, and new engines coming.

Tiger Boxer 250RS is homoleg, manufactorer is approved by government, one bike is approved, and all sold bikes are same spec so no need to spend a fortune approving each sold bike. Same in every country. Homoleg in LOS for a new importer/manufactorer can take 6-12 months. Homoleg bikes can be identified in reg book page 4, position 5/6. Translated to english its" as pictured".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, are bikes smog-tested here as a part of renewing their registration, as in California?

Yes they are, 5 years after first registration. Some DLT are to lazy to do it, but soon it will be required a print/file for the emission test to renew tax/reg.

DLT is also building a picture file of big bikes when transfer ownership, to spot (illegal?) mods more easily.

• 4 weeks later...

Only California spec bikes pass emission without (major) mods, adn it takes time and money to do.

New laws on redplates and no plate vehicles have just come in place, and will be strictly enforced. 30 days/3k km limit, up to 10k fines and up to 5 years in jail as i recall. TiT, developing rapidly

Have a read in most newspapers and on TV Phuket

Only California bikes can pass Thai emission standards? Is this some sort of joke. i still wonder how a bike can run with the California limits. :whistling:

After reeding this thread I am a little unclear as to how the emissions testing and licensing goes in Thailand.

I have been looking at getting the new Honda Fury in Nov. from Red Baron. Is there going to be a problem with emissions. Also how long will it take to get the plates going through a dealer. Also I live in the Udon area what will it take to get it registered up there.

How much should I expect Red Baron to do. At the price I think I should not have to worry about anything but make sure it is delivered to the house and turn the key.